Going from 3440x1440 back to 1080p?

Dedshark
4 hours ago, Dedshark said:

Weird thing was in games like Pubg and Fortnite BR I actually had less fps in parts of the game at 1080p same settings which I didn't quite understand. Anyone have a clue if I would gain much fps if I went from 3440x1440 100hz to a 1440p ips 165hz? I think 1440p and IPS wouldn't look too terrible compared to my ultrawide and if I gained a good chunk of fps I would go for it.

well your current monitor is also 1440p :P

I think you should explore this resolution anomaly more.  Do enough tests that you can be confident in the results, and test at 1080p, and native res, and then some higher res using DSR/VSR.  If you can run a higher res at the same framerate / if you don't gain any frames by dropping resolution, I would suspect a CPU bottleneck.  Check the GPU usage during each of the tests, it should be enlightening.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I have the ASUS MG248Q 144hz 1ms TN monitor and for competitive games (I play a lot of CSGO and PUBG) it is great but I play both at low settings at 1080p with a RX580 8GB and I don't have an issue with how "good" the game looks.  If I was playing racing games a lot or RPG single player games I would rather have the clarity of the higher resolution screen.  If your truly trying to be competitive most professional players play at 1080p or even lower to maximize performance.

I'm sure coming from a 1440p IPS panel the games may look washed out to you at 1080p but you have to make the choice of going for pure performance or how "enjoyable" your gaming experience is. 

The difference your going to see will probably be minimal switching from your current monitor to another 1440p 120-140hz monitor.. If your going for pure performance with that graphics card get the 240hz 1080p 1ms monitor and I'm sure you will enjoy it but don't expect it to look better than what you have.