Cable help.

chase_gibson04

Are there cables that go from DC to positive and negative? Could I make one? I'm new to this so don't beat me up too much.

dc.png

+_.png

5 minutes ago, chase_gibson04 said:

Are there cables that go from DC to positive and negative? Could I make one? I'm new to this so don't beat me up too much.

Yeah you can get DC barrel adapters most have the common standard of center positive outside negative. What are you trying to wire up or wanting to do?

Image result for dc barrel adapter diagram

DC voltage is  positive (some voltage) and negative (ground).

You can buy the connectors separately, without cable.

You can also buy them with cable installed from factory. 

The color on the wires is just for your convenience.  Almost always the negative (or ground) is the black wire, and that is connected to outside metal of the plug.

The positive is the red wire and that connects to the metal inside the plug.

If you're in US, you can buy from stores like Digikey.com , Mouser.com , Newark.com 

Outside US, check farnell.com , tme.eu (in Europe)

You should also be able to find them on eBay (but they won't be as good quality as the ones at reputable distributors of electronic components) - use search terms like "barrel plug" and the internal and external diameter you need (see below)

On Digikey, you have here these round (barrel) connectors : https://www.digikey.com/short/q70zh4 (you have to solder wires to the "ears" inside the connector)

With preinstalled wires, you have this selection : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/cable-assemblies/barrel-power-cables/464

These don't have the wires with red and blue, but the negative wire usually has some lines or some pattern printed on it.  If you're not sure, you can use a multimeter to check if there's continuity between the outside of the plug and wire you think it's negative.

The most important things you also have to remember when picking one is to select the right  OD (outer diameter) and ID (inner diameter).

The most common plugs are [ 2.1mm ID , 5.5mm OD ]  and  [ 2.5mm ID , 5.5 mm OD ] - you can use a ruler or calipers to measure the plug you already have.

1 minute ago, chase_gibson04 said:

Wow ok. I found what works for me btw. What I'm doing is connecting the output of this to a pc fan.

https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-Battery-Portable/dp/B00MF70BPU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508023097&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+battery+bank

Yeah if you want a battery powered fan that being able to proviude a full 12V from the DC jack will work. All you really would need to do it cut and solder the positive and negative lead from the dc jack adapter to the fan cables.  

Just now, W-L said:

Yeah if you want a battery powered fan that being able to proviude a full 12V from the DC jack will work. All you really would need to do it cut and solder the positive and negative lead from the dc jack adapter to the fan cables.  

Yep!

1 minute ago, chase_gibson04 said:

Yep!

As mariushm has suggested all of those adapters listed will work, it looks like the unit also comes with a cable so if you don't mind sacrificing one you can cut the end off and have it directly wired to the fan. Just note that battery pack only has a 3Amp output so you want to check the power draw of your fans if your planning on running something like a delta.