BSoD: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER - AMD Graphics

Nocte

Hello,

I have recently started getting the BSOD "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" randomly when launching games and/or playing (most of the time happens with CS:GO).

I used BlueScreenViewer to analyse the mini dump files and the cause is always the driver atikmdag.sys - which I believe is the AMD Graphics driver. Also dxgkrnl.sys is highlighted along with the AMD driver, which I believe is the DirectX driver.

I have now uninstalled all the drivers with DDU (in safe mode) and reinstalled some older 17.4.4 drivers. But this is not the first time that happened, and I am quite sure that I did this also before the issues came up again.

Some background of errors on my PC software/hardware:

- PC is new (built it in June)

- In September I carried it on the plane (as a carry on) - I took all the necessary precautions to make sure that the system wouldn't get damaged and that all the parts inside it wouldn't move.

- In September I was suffering from Kernel Power reboots, which I fixed by plugging the PC into a different socket (and keeping AMD High Definition Audio Device disabled, as I have read it conflicts with the Realtek one and may cause this issue).

- In September I changed display from a ViewSonic XG2401 to an AOC G2460PF (I still own both, but they are in two different countries).

- I started getting BSoDs in the past two weeks (always THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER, and always atikmdag.sys + dxgkrnl.sys).

Any fix? I really need help... I don't know what to try anymore.

EDIT:

Build:

- Ryzen 5 1600 @ Stock

- G.Skill Trident Z 2x8GB @ 3200MHz 14CL

- Biostar X370GTN @ 1.0.0.4 AGESA BIOS

- AMD RX 580 @ Stock

- Corsair SF450

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Those issues can be really difficult to solve :(

Have you checked if all your hardware and power is correctly seated?

Also if your GPU has a dual bios, try the other bios and see if that solves any issues.

I had that issue back when I had my 5820K+RX470 build. The thing that fixed it if I recall correctly was reinstalling windows and reinstalling the memory sticks as I was constantly getting memory errors as well although I could stress them with Memtest64 and HCI memtest (and be completely stable). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I had that issue back when I had my 5820K+RX470 build. The thing that fixed it if I recall correctly was reinstalling windows and reinstalling the memory sticks as I was constantly getting memory errors as well although I could stress them with Memtest64 and HCI memtest (and be completely stable). 

I really don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows... But I don't think I have a choice as you cannot really re-install DirectX drivers since its incorporated into Windows.

I could try reseating the RAM... But I doubt that would make any difference to be honest.

3 hours ago, Ansuex said:

Those issues can be really difficult to solve :(

Have you checked if all your hardware and power is correctly seated?

Also if your GPU has a dual bios, try the other bios and see if that solves any issues.

Yes, I check all of that when I was having the Kernel Power problem... All modular cables are in properly and everything is correctly seated (didn't reseat the GPU as I have to take the case apart since its a Node 202, but did make sure that it was in correctly).

Unfortunately I have the Pulse version of the Sapphire RX 580s... Only the Nitro+ version has dual bios I'm afraid.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

After re-installing the drivers, today the BSoD rehappened with the same stopcode. Always on CS:GO. Anyone has inputs about this?

I really want to leave reinstalling Windows as a last resort. 

Unraid Server