What difference to this overclock can I expect if I delid my 4690k?

Hi, I'm considering delidding my 4690k to replace the intel thermal paste with that coolabratory liquid ultra stuff.

I currently use a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 240 cooler with the thermal paste that was pre applied so may also change that.

Will the overclock be worth all the hassle? what more can I expect? Attached image is current overclock running Prime95 small FFT for a few minutes.

4.5 small ftt.PNG

are you going to use liquid metal or normal thermal compound? with liquid metal you can probably do another 200 or 300mhz, with normal paste maybe 100 mhz or simply a few Degrees less, but the investment isnt worth it anymore with more and more games using more than 4 threads you should save the money instaed and switch to coffee lake once that launches

11 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

are you going to use liquid metal or normal thermal compound? with liquid metal you can probably do another 200 or 300mhz, with normal paste maybe 100 mhz or simply a few Degrees less, but the investment isnt worth it anymore with more and more games using more than 4 threads you should save the money instaed and switch to coffee lake once that launches

I guess it's not worth reducing the resale value of my CPU for a return that small.

I was gonna wait for the 10nm intel CPUs next year otherwise I assume I'd have to buy another new motherboard.

Using liquid metal between the die and the IHS reduces temperatures and allows more of an overclock, the normal thermal paste will keep the temperatures down a littlebit, but not much, not allowing you to push for a better overclock. You could push the clock to 4.7 or 4.8GHz with the delid and liquid metal thermal compund applied. Also, remember to remove all adhesive with some sort of alcohol formula.

10 minutes ago, Moorbs said:

I guess it's not worth reducing the resale value of my CPU for a return that small.

I was gonna wait for the 10nm intel CPUs next year otherwise I assume I'd have to buy another new motherboard.

after coffee lake it will be at least another 2 years till there is going to be a smaller manufacturing process

9 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

after coffee lake it will be at least another 2 years till there is going to be a smaller manufacturing process

I thought Intel said we would see Ice Lake towards the end of next year?

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

9 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

Yeah, as PETRGangKing said, they've been using 14nm for 5 generations and I was under the impression we'd have 10nm intel CPUs a year from now

25 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

I thought Intel said we would see Ice Lake towards the end of next year?

then why would they release coffee lake now? That would be a stupid business decision, coffee lake is also just a slightly improved skylake, like kaby lake, but with more cores

I guess because 10nm isn't ready and they wanted to give a rushed response to Ryzen. They'll make a profit from Coffee Lake so why wouldn't they release it?

32 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

then why would they release coffee lake now? That would be a stupid business decision, coffee lake is also just a slightly improved skylake, like kaby lake, but with more cores

Coffee Lake was a rushed release to help get back market share after ryzen. They said to expect ice lake by the end of next year, which will be 10nm  and its rumored that the 9700k may be 8 core.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

7 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

Coffee Lake was a rushed release to help get back market share after ryzen. They said to expect ice lake by the end of next year, which will be 10nm  and its rumored that the 9700k may be 8 core.

i think that the new coffee lakes will kill ryzen in gaming if the new coffee lake i5 will be around the price range as the previous i5s