Can I move a Coaxial Cable Modem from 1 room to another?

phongle123

When the technician came to set up my internet he used the original port that was in the house, which is in 1 corner of the house on the first floor. But the place of usage is in the opposite corner of the house on the 2nd floor. When I asked if he could move it up to the 2nd floor where I would be mainly using he said the signal would be fine and refused to move it. The signal is not fine, I am using an Tp-Link AC5400 Router with a Tp-Link AC1900 T9E PCIe Wifi Card.

The wifi signal would be blocked by the 2nd floor and the room of usage. But the router has a direct path to unblocked stairs and immediately the room is there so would technically only be blocked off by 1 room wall. I would say a direct path from router to the usage area is 35-40 feet disregarding all obstructions.

I'm not even getting 10% of the rated speed where I am at. And when I am in front of my router I'm not even getting 50% of the rated speed. When I first got it set it up, I was running 115% of the rated speed from about 20 feet away and now I'm not even getting 50% of the rated speed from 1 inch away. The company wants me to pay 35$ for something that the technician refused to do in the first place. I have coaxial cables coming out of the wall all over the house but I don't think they transfer an internet signal.

Could I replace the coaxial cable to one that has a high speed internet or whatever, or just screw it into the coaxial outlet with a high speed internet coax cable? Or does the technician have to come out and manually add in a different cable to the specific room and disable the first one from the internet box?

In my house at least, there's a panel that contains all the other ends of the coax hookups for the house, and the tech hooked it up to the one that lead to where the modem was. You'd need to find that panel and swap the one coming from the ISP to the one that leads to the new location.

if you get TV and internet service from the same provider than you can freely move the modem where ever there is a coax cable, if you have 2 different services then you need to make sure the internet line is linked to the coax line going to the room you want to modem in

If you're lucky that's how it's set up. Or, even better, they ran a dedicated drop to it. But it could just be a smattering of splitters all over the house. Technically the modem can work anywhere on your trunk. But the signal degrades the more splits there are between it and the node. If you have a panel, or splitters, you can rearrange things to give the modem good signal anywhere in the house. If they did a dedicated drop for the modem you will have to run new cable thru your attic or around the outside of the house to get it where it needs to be. 

As for the cables themselves there is nothing special about the coax, as long as it is... RG6? Quad shield RG6 using compression fittings is the standard for digital signal. As long as its good quality coax on that spec you can run cable wherever you like

Unless your house is wired differently (and it may be, so don’t quote me on this) you can just move it to the more desirable location. I actually have two modems, each with different WAN addresses running from two different coax lines in my house. That’s completely different than how it was originally setup, but it works. And you could just try it and see if it works. You wont damage anything by doing so. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Two things:

1. moving it is typically not too difficult.

2. call the provider and tell them that the install did not follow your requests and to send a different installer to install the equipment where you want it.

7 hours ago, phongle123 said:

When the technician came to set up my internet he used the original port that was in the house, which is in 1 corner of the house on the first floor. But the place of usage is in the opposite corner of the house on the 2nd floor. When I asked if he could move it up to the 2nd floor where I would be mainly using he said the signal would be fine and refused to move it. The signal is not fine, I am using an Tp-Link AC5400 Router with a Tp-Link AC1900 T9E PCIe Wifi Card.

The wifi signal would be blocked by the 2nd floor and the room of usage. But the router has a direct path to unblocked stairs and immediately the room is there so would technically only be blocked off by 1 room wall. I would say a direct path from router to the usage area is 35-40 feet disregarding all obstructions.

I'm not even getting 10% of the rated speed where I am at. And when I am in front of my router I'm not even getting 50% of the rated speed. When I first got it set it up, I was running 115% of the rated speed from about 20 feet away and now I'm not even getting 50% of the rated speed from 1 inch away. The company wants me to pay 35$ for something that the technician refused to do in the first place. I have coaxial cables coming out of the wall all over the house but I don't think they transfer an internet signal.

Could I replace the coaxial cable to one that has a high speed internet or whatever, or just screw it into the coaxial outlet with a high speed internet coax cable? Or does the technician have to come out and manually add in a different cable to the specific room and disable the first one from the internet box?

For the simple answer yes. HOWEVER, due to the fact cable modems need the best signal possible you may have to do a little work. Generally most cable providers will install a two way spliter on the line coming in. One side for internet the other for TV. If you move your modem, the outlet you plan on plugging the modem in to would need to be connected to the two way spliter directly. Some times you might have multiple splitters as if you have more than 1 tv, you will need more ports. If you have too many spliters in front of the modem, your internet wont work right. 

1 hour ago, Brian Blankenship said:

Two things:

1. moving it is typically not too difficult.

2. call the provider and tell them that the install did not follow your requests and to send a different installer to install the equipment where you want it.

When it comes to indoor wiring, cable providers are pretty much not going to touch it.. Because they dont know the quality of the wiring. If they do touch it, expect a big ass bill. When we first had internet installed, they litterally ran a line around the outside of the house and drilled in from the outside. Thats pretty much the extent of at least what Comcast will do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I work for an isp. We do not move main equipment around. Reasons are we do not know how good the lines are in your house and if there are any splices, splits other type of cable in the house. DSL service. 

plus with the fiber there are multiple pieces of equipment in play.

What we do to an extend it run a few lines and install a wifi extender. 

prime example is my house. Just the coax they used rg59, with 5 4 way splitters. not even a proper end just strip, sick it and electrical tape it. It should hold. And those cheap rca splitter

what is the speed you are paying for? there is a certain point were the grade of equipment most isp use cannot preform to peoples requirements.

if you can look at running a few cat5/6 runs around the house, will make it easier to add devices like switches and not rely on the converting technology. 

On 10/13/2017 at 9:43 PM, Donut417 said:

When it comes to indoor wiring, cable providers are pretty much not going to touch it.. Because they dont know the quality of the wiring. If they do touch it, expect a big ass bill. When we first had internet installed, they litterally ran a line around the outside of the house and drilled in from the outside. Thats pretty much the extent of at least what Comcast will do. 

This must be different than TimeWarner/Spectrum.When my mother moved to her apartment, I had her installer run lines everywhere. He was able to go from one side of the wall to the other side but, not alone the inside of the walls since he didn't have the tools with him. Otherwise, he would have needed an access point in the drywall at each stud.

It's not uncommon for installers to do the wrap around thing either, in fact, its the only way I can get to one of the rooms I'm going to need to in my house.

That all said; If it was not done to your needs the first time, they should be obligated to fix it. Especially, if it is not working well. I'd be a holy terror for those guys...

Just now, Brian Blankenship said:

This must be different than TimeWarner/Spectrum.When my mother moved to her apartment, I had her installer run lines everywhere. He was able to go from one side of the wall to the other side but, not alone the inside of the walls since he didn't have the tools with him. Otherwise, he would have needed an access point in the drywall at each stud.

It's not uncommon for installers to do the wrap around thing either, in fact, its the only way I can get to one of the rooms I'm going to need to in my house.

That all said; If it was not done to your needs the first time, they should be obligated to fix it. Especially, if it is not working well. I'd be a holy terror for those guys...

OH. Comcast will run cables inside for a large cost. Technically speaking the Comcast  is only really responsible for the wire going from the pole to the grounding block and any equipment you are renting. After that its the customers problem. While they will troubleshoot issues for you, it will cost you. I know this is standard practice, because my house isnt the only one they installed this way. They are also not the only provider that installs this way. Also it depends on whos doing the install. Contractor paid by the job, or a tech paid by the hour. That is what matters. Comcast contracts all of their installs out. Which is why when we got Digital Voice from them when it first came out it was shit. Because the contractor borked the install because he wanted to get to the next job. The point is, You want it clean and tidy inside the wall, OK, but be prepared to pay for that. Because they aint going to do it for free. At the end of the day all it has to do is work, as long as you can get internet via a wired connection, thats all that matters to them and thats all it required under the law. 

26 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

OH. Comcast will run cables inside for a large cost. Technically speaking the Comcast  is only really responsible for the wire going from the pole to the grounding block and any equipment you are renting. After that its the customers problem. While they will troubleshoot issues for you, it will cost you. I know this is standard practice, because my house isnt the only one they installed this way. They are also not the only provider that installs this way. Also it depends on whos doing the install. Contractor paid by the job, or a tech paid by the hour. That is what matters. Comcast contracts all of their installs out. Which is why when we got Digital Voice from them when it first came out it was shit. Because the contractor borked the install because he wanted to get to the next job. The point is, You want it clean and tidy inside the wall, OK, but be prepared to pay for that. Because they aint going to do it for free. At the end of the day all it has to do is work, as long as you can get internet via a wired connection, thats all that matters to them and thats all it required under the law. 

Freak'n cable companies....

Just now, Brian Blankenship said:

Freak'n cable companies....

Well Technically speaking in some areas you might require a building permit to install wiring inside the walls. The cable company doesnt want to deal with that mess. 

Then there is the issue of will the customer damage or remove the cable that is installed. 

I have ave seen many houses were the homeowner removed every spec of wiring for coax and dsl/tel. Completely finish the house then complain cause the isp won’t give them service or put requirements. fix the drywall and paint the wall they opened up to get you your service. 

This is is why isp and others are only responsible to a certain point. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, phongle123 said:

1st did your tech install a moca filter at the dmc of the property? if no this will degrade services

2nd check modem to see what moca it supports then order a moca extender and plug 3ft eth cable into routers wan port to mocaextender eth port