u12s vs h5 ultimate vs mugen 5

wdodge0912

So the Noctua U12s, Cryorig H5 Ultimate, and the Sythe Mugen 5 are the 3 cpu coolers I'm looking at. I am getting either an 8600k or a Ryzen 1600 or 1500x, haven't decided too much there, but I do want at least 4.0ghz.

Anyways, which of these coolers would be the best for overclocking?

I would replace the stock cooler of the u12s with one of the NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM as I already have one just sitting on my desk. so that should improve its performance.

4 minutes ago, wdodge0912 said:

So the Noctua U12s, Cryorig H5 Ultimate, and the Sythe Mugen 5 are the 3 cpu coolers I'm looking at. I am getting either an 8600k or a Ryzen 1600 or 1500x, haven't decided too much there, but I do want at least 4.0ghz.

Anyways, which of these coolers would be the best for overclocking?

I would replace the stock cooler of the u12s with one of the NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM as I already have one just sitting on my desk. so that should improve its performance.

Switch out the Sythe with the be quiet! dark rock 3, and you got yourself a competition!

In all honesty though, they'll all perform about the same. Especially if you stick the same fan on them

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Switch out the Sythe with the be quiet! dark rock 3, and you got yourself a competition!

In all honesty though, they'll all perform about the same. Especially if you stick the same fan on them

I'd only be swapping fans on the Noctua, otherwise Use just leave the cooler alone. I can use a better fan for the h60 in my current build, and I just don't feel like swapping it over to the new machine. 

as for the dark rock 3, I looked at it, but from what I read mounting it is a pain. I'm not opposed to it otherwise though.

do you think these coolers will take a 1500x or 1600 up to 4ghz?

2 minutes ago, wdodge0912 said:

I'd only be swapping fans on the Noctua, otherwise Use just leave the cooler alone. I can use a better fan for the h60 in my current build, and I just don't feel like swapping it over to the new machine. 

as for the dark rock 3, I looked at it, but from what I read mounting it is a pain. I'm not opposed to it otherwise though.

do you think these coolers will take a 1500x or 1600 up to 4ghz?

Any of these coolers could take those chips ans high as they can go, no question!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Keep the fan and go Noctua. They make the quietest high performing products IMO. All three will work well cooling those CPUs. I would go 8600k for the CPU.

2 hours ago, Blatcher2 said:

Keep the fan and go Noctua. They make the quietest high performing products IMO. All three will work well cooling those CPUs. I would go 8600k for the CPU.

I was leaning for the 8600k, but I'm not sure the budget would allow, even though it is only about $100 more than the 1600.

as for the Noctua cooler, I may go with it, just because I do have the better looking fan already, and don't want to give that up to a machine that will be going elsewhere once my new one is together. Is it possible to add a second fan to the cooler, I may get another industrial fan to put onto it.

How would these coolers cool an 8600K? I'm not sure how the temps are between the 8600k and 1600, and since there is a ceiling to the 1600, what would I be able to get with the 8600k and one of these coolers? 

You could pick up the i5 8400 and save $60. The 8400 edges out the 1600 in most games but the 8600k will run almost 20% faster in CPU dependent applications (OC'd). If you get the 8400 you can always upgrade to the 8700k later on.

The 1600 has lower temps than the 7600k and you almost always are limited by the silicon and not the temperatures on the Zen architecture. 

Yes you can put 2 fans on the Noctua.

You could easily get 4.7Ghz with 1.25v-core. Your max temps would probably be in the high 70s or low 80s which is well below TJ-max.

On 10/14/2017 at 12:01 AM, wdodge0912 said:

How would these coolers cool an 8600K? I'm not sure how the temps are between the 8600k and 1600, and since there is a ceiling to the 1600, what would I be able to get with the 8600k and one of these coolers? 

Its hard to say since CPUs are so new. But you can look at older reviews of those coolers with older i7s and compare temps. They are all midrange coolers. As for how high OC you can get, seriously no one knows. But I would assume you can get very close to high OC range, with around 80C max.

I would pick which cooler is cheapest of those. Or if you can find good review bringing some difference in temps. I don't think they are that far apart, and you aren't even looking at quiet option with Noctua going to have leaf blower attached to it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv