Want my old activated windows back that was linked to my microsoft account on my formatted laptop

Go to solution Solved by PremiereManatee,

I just recently (3 days ago) went through the same process and it worked out fine after signing into my re-install of windows 10.

Download the windows 10 image from microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and follow the instructions for creating a bootable media (in my case, usb flash).

While installing it will provide you the option of entering the key at once or skipping that step. Just skip and continue until you're asked to sign into your microsoft account. After doing that my windows 10 pro is genuine again and behaving nicely!

Hope this helps

So I formatted my laptop the other day and deleted my original activated windows 10 pro OS whose digital license was linked to my microsoft account, now I am going to install the OS again but I don't have the activation key. I want the same windows 10 pro activated OS that was linked to my account again and do not want to use a KMS activator. Can I activate my windows 10 pro just by signing in?

If you bought it via your microsoft account you should be able to find it there when you sign in.

Something about your previous purchases, should find it to be both downloadable with its key as well.

3 hours ago, MVPernula said:

If you bought it via your microsoft account you should be able to find it there when you sign in.

Something about your previous purchases, should find it to be both downloadable with its key as well.

A windows 8.1 pro came with my laptop and I upgraded it when there was this free windows 10 upgrade for windows 8.1 and 7 users, since then it has shown "digital license linked to your Microsoft account" in my settings. I didn't buy it via my account.

1 minute ago, Chaos Gamer said:

A windows 8.1 pro came with my laptop and I upgraded it when there was this free windows 10 upgrade for windows 8.1 and 7 users, since then it has showed "digital license linked to your Microsoft account". I didn't buy it via my account.

In that case; shouldn't there be a code either on the laptop or somewhere with the stuff you got with it?

Signing in on your microsoft account might show you something, try that.

Just now, Chaos Gamer said:

Can my windows be activated once I sign in with my microsoft account?

This I cannot answer.

Afaik you can still use your 8.1 key for win 10, otherwise MS still has a special download for full win10 that activates itself since it is ment for disabled people

I just recently (3 days ago) went through the same process and it worked out fine after signing into my re-install of windows 10.

Download the windows 10 image from microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and follow the instructions for creating a bootable media (in my case, usb flash).

While installing it will provide you the option of entering the key at once or skipping that step. Just skip and continue until you're asked to sign into your microsoft account. After doing that my windows 10 pro is genuine again and behaving nicely!

Hope this helps

install it, during the install process it will ask for a product key. just skip it, wait for it to complete. and then sign in, and it will automatically ativate again. 

She/Her

In that case; shouldn't there be a code either on the laptop or somewhere with the stuff you got with it?

Signing in on your microsoft account might show you something, try that.

I lost it.... that laptop is old and i don't use it that much, so I don't know where the stuff that came with it is.

I still haven't installed the OS yet.

3 hours ago, Chaos Gamer said:

Can my windows be activated once I sign in with my microsoft account?

This I cannot answer.

I just read it on another forum, where a guy said the os could be activated if you sign in but he was not sure.

3 hours ago, Alpha_Krk said:

MS still has a special download for full win10 that activates itself since it is ment for disabled people

Yes, I have seen that but I don't understand it. My friend did it once, he installed a copy of windows 10 and it activated itself within 2 days.