Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guarrand

Green stripes and blocks/dots on screen, then crash

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have an MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming motherboard with an MSI 780ti gaming vidcard, for about 3.4 / 4 years now.

Since 2 days it started giving green horizontal lines (not completely covering the width of the screen) and blocks.

When that happens my pc crashes soon after.

After i try to reboot it also shows the same green lines and blocks in the bios and during startup... after which it usually crashes again.

I tried booting in safe mode, and eventhough that works... the same green lines still show up.

At first i thought it was the videocard, but after i removed that and used the onboard vidcard, it still gave the same problems.

I also tried a different slot for the vidcard, just to make sure its not just one slot thats the problem, but still the same result.

Is it fair to assume that its the mobo thats defect?

Is there something else i can try to fix the mobo?

Any advice / tips are appreciated.

-Richard-

What is the monitor/ how old is it? Your monitor may be dead/ dying and producing the green lines. You should also try reinstalling the GPU drivers. Uninstall using DDU and reinstall from Nvidia's website. If neither the monitor nor the drivers account for the issue, your motherboard is the most likely bet if the problems persist on integrated graphics.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

4 minutes ago, Guarrand said:

I have an MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming motherboard with an MSI 780ti gaming vidcard, for about 3.4 / 4 years now.

Since 2 days it started giving green horizontal lines (not completely covering the width of the screen) and blocks.

When that happens my pc crashes soon after.

After i try to reboot it also shows the same green lines and blocks in the bios and during startup... after which it usually crashes again.

I tried booting in safe mode, and eventhough that works... the same green lines still show up.

At first i thought it was the videocard, but after i removed that and used the onboard vidcard, it still gave the same problems.

I also tried a different slot for the vidcard, just to make sure its not just one slot thats the problem, but still the same result.

Is it fair to assume that its the mobo thats defect?

Is there something else i can try to fix the mobo?

Any advice / tips are appreciated.

-Richard-

Hi, and could be a bad PCI slot! Has happened to me before ;) try another slot if u have got them! Also try to remove and re install your CPU and RAM, good luck!

3 minutes ago, Alpha_Krk said:

Turn the PC on without the GPU since the GPU might be dead

Read the whole post first mate....

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

turn off any overclocks that are active

check temperatures

reseat ram

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

PC: 2X XEON X5650 | GTX 690 | 2X 240GB SSD | 24GB RAM Windows 10

MacBook: I5 3210M HD4000 | 1 TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS Mojave / Windows 10

Try with a diff monitor too.

i7-6700k

Dark Rock TF

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro

Corsair LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB, PNY CS2211 960GB, 850 EVO 500GB, WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 4TB

MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 4GB Armor 2X

Antec HCG M 750W

Creative Labs Z to Home Theater

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Black

BENQ GW2765HT. Samsung S22B420BW

--------------------------------------------

i3-6100

CRYORIG - C7 

ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming

ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 

DREVO X1 PRO 128GB SSD, Barracuda 1TB, PNY - CS1211 240GB

MSI Radeon R9 390x 8GB

EVGA 750 BQ 

Thermaltake P3 White

LG - 27MP37HQ-B 27.0", LG L1952TX-SF

--------------------------------------------

G4560

MasterAir G100M RGB

Gigabyte - GA-Z170XP-SLI 

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Intel - 600p Series 256GB, WD Blue 1TB

Gigabyte GV-R777OC-1GD, Asus HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2

Antec HCG 620W

Corsair - Air 540

19 minutes ago, Samsterstorm said:

Hi, and could be a bad PCI slot! Has happened to me before ;) try another slot if u have got them! Also try to remove and re install your CPU and RAM, good luck!

Read the whole post first mate....

24 minutes ago, Guarrand said:

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

If you PC was crashing even without GPU, then your GPU should be fine.

Check if your CPU is overheating.

Do memory test to see if that's failing.

Make some sort of HDD check. sfc scannow in cmd, or full disk check with some software perhaps.

You can also check event viewer if WIndows maybe logged something to explain why it crashes.

Could be also motherboard problem ... you can always clear CMOS by removing battery for few minutes. Or update BIOS version.

I would do all that for starters and see where it takes you.

Intel i5 8600k 5.0GHz | EVGA Z370 Micro ATX | Dark Rock 3 | ADATA XPG Z1 3000MHz 32GB | RM650x | GTX 1080 Ti EVGA SC2 | Thermaltake Core V21

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HyperX Fury 480GB | 3x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Since i already tried the different slot thing and without the GPU installed.. i'll try the CMOS reset.

The monitor isnt the problem since i have 2 and both give the same problem.

Also i dont think my PC would crash if my monitor was defect.

I'll check back when i tried the CMOS reset.

Thanks again

Alas, 

tried the cmos reset, but to no avail.
So.. i'll probably have to buy a new socket 1150 mobo from somewhere.

thnx though