FLIR cameras have unremovable backdoors

DoctorWho1975

Manufacturers hard-on for providing backdoors into their products that they think will stay completely secret while putting them on the internet continues, this time with one of the largest vendors of thermal security cameras. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/researcher-finds-unremovable-backdoor-accounts-in-flir-thermal-security-cameras/#.Wd-eZ2COCbY.twitter

Gjoko Krstic, a security researcher with Zero Science Labs, has discovered secret hard-coded accounts in thermal security cameras manufactured by FLIR Systems, Inc., one of the largest vendor of such products.

According to Krstic, the backdoor accounts "are never exposed to the end-user and cannot be changed through any normal operation of the camera."

So hurray Internet of Things, you serve us so well!

well FLIR is one of the best makers of thermal cameras so this is an issue that I have a feeling the military may have a talk with them about this. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Backdoors are all the rage these days. Forget RGB we want backdoors instead.

If anyone ever does RGB with a backdoor the world will implode and the fabric of space time will unravel.

I wonder if the backdoor username was NSA by any chance?

True story, I got expelled from college aged just 17 because I "hacked" into the college network and manage to gain full admin status. When they asked me how I got it I told them I had discovered a backdoor which had the username "Backdoor" with the password "password". They laughed and told me I was lying so I did it in front of them.

Turns out the contractor that installed the network for them (RM in this case) had the backdoor implemented into something at a firmware level for their engineers to use if there was ever a problem, the college IT staff had zero idea it existed.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Backdoors are all the rage these days. Forget RGB we want backdoors instead.

Corsair... New mouse pad with backdoors(RGB too)

We heard you like back doors so we installed a backdoor into your backdoor facing camera so you can watch your backdoor through a backdoor.

They will probably claim these were for "testing purposes only" and it were not designed to be released.

We need a hardware box that provides a private tunnel to a physically separate network, then you can access sadi network from anywhere but no one else can and nothing connected to said network has a way out. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

55 minutes ago, mr moose said:

We need a hardware box that provides a private tunnel to a physically separate network, then you can access sadi network from anywhere but no one else can and nothing connected to said network has a way out. 

Hardware box with a hardware backdoor. The only way to mitigate the risk is to keep the network isolated.

3 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

damn NSA/CIA/MORONSINCONGRESS.. Oh wait.

Fixed that for you.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Hardware box with a hardware backdoor. The only way to mitigate the risk is to keep the network isolated.

Maybe you could get the box made privately and threaten the manufacturer with hell's angels, coffin cheaters and maybe an all expense paid trip to the bottom of the ocean in several boxes if you discover a backdoor.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Maybe you could get the box made privately and threaten the manufacturer with hell's angels, coffin cheaters and maybe an all expense paid trip to the bottom of the ocean in several boxes if you discover a backdoor.

That wont accomplish anything, they got more worse offer from acronym agencies. Even if you build it yourself the backdoor is already in the hardware. The only real option here is total isolation.

this is just hilarius because of how stupid it is. why the heck does a thermal camera need to be coonected to the internet???

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

36 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

this is just hilarius because of how stupid it is. why the heck does a thermal camera need to be coonected to the internet???

Those are thermal security cameras, so if you want to record/view their image they need a network connection... Its up to the IT how they solve it but usually these are connected to the same LAN as the computers and what not.

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Those are thermal security cameras, so if you want to record/view their image they need a network connection... Its up to the IT how they solve it but usually these are connected to the same LAN as the computers and what not.

only seen the things they put on phones, assumed that was all they did tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If the backdoor is so hard programmed in, it really is more of a front door isn't it?

Lets play connect the dots!

::::::::::

On 10/13/2017 at 4:47 AM, GDRRiley said:

well FLIR is one of the best makers of thermal cameras so this is an issue that I have a feeling the military may have a talk with them about this. 

No kidding.  Glad I saw this article so many thumb ups for the OP for posting it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Such old news, FLIR gave out a patch for this, however, it did take them 3months to sort out.

http://www.flir.com/security/blog/details/?ID=87043

And whilst on the subject, Luc may like to know there is only 115 device discoverable to match Flir on the internet, very trivial amount.

https://www.shodan.io/ will list vulnerable devices.

Maybe who gave this news needs to do proper research.