Battery Question

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by samcool55,
Just now, babadoctor said:

So... how much battery does my battery have then...?

I plugged it in and with power still in it it took 7 hours to charge

Well, unless you have a proper system to check their charge constantly, something else to put a constant load on it and something that cuts power once a specific voltage is reached, you can't.

How long it took to charge also depends what charger you have and other things.

I would get lipo's from a decent brand. You can find batteries with the same size and similar capacities for little money so that's what i would do.

You see this drone?

https://www.amazon.com/Cheerwing-CW4-Quadcopter-Altitude-Landing/dp/B01HGHN4C0

and this drone?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXPW1WI/

You see how both batteries of the drones use a standard 3.7v 500-600mAh battery?

Well, I bought 4 18650 batteries that output 3.7v and has a 5,800mAh charge for 10$ and I wanted to see if my syma could use them as power

So I first taped it to the drone to see if it could lift it, and surprisingly it could very easily

Then I plugged it into the drone by taping it to the drone and attaching the terminals to the wires

The drone powered on, and flew for a bit, but then the low battery alarm triggered and the drone stopped flying...

Why is this happening? Is it because the battery can't supply enough current or something?

(the battery was not dead, i tested this)

Chinese batteries in question

https://www.amazon.com/Clearance-Rechargeable-Battery-Charger-Canserin/dp/B01JC0MF60/

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Can't properly check the syma but the cheerwing uses LIPO batteries, they aren't the same as Li-ion batteries like the 18650 is.

Lipo's are really good in pushing a bunch of current without getting warm or dropping voltage under load. Li-ion however aren't really meant for that.

They are more designed to give their charge in a few hours.

It's possible the voltage drops too hard because the load is too much for the batteries.

Also, chinese batteries... They usually suck and 5800mah doesn't exist in that form factor. Afaik panasonic had like 3600mah for a short while but they stopped making them, they now go up to 3300mah which is about as high as you can get.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Can't properly check the syma but the cheerwing uses LIPO batteries, they aren't the same as Li-ion batteries like the 18650 is.

Lipo's are really good in pushing a bunch of current without getting warm or dropping voltage under load. Li-ion however aren't really meant for that.

They are more designed to give their charge in a few hours.

It's possible the voltage drops too hard because the load is too much for the batteries.

Also, chinese batteries... They usually suck and 5800mah doesn't exist in that form factor. Afaik panasonic had like 3600mah for a short while but they stopped making them, they now go up to 3300mah which is about as high as you can get.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Just now, babadoctor said:

Well, unless you have a proper system to check their charge constantly, something else to put a constant load on it and something that cuts power once a specific voltage is reached, you can't.

How long it took to charge also depends what charger you have and other things.

I would get lipo's from a decent brand. You can find batteries with the same size and similar capacities for little money so that's what i would do.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

16 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

You see this drone?

https://www.amazon.com/Cheerwing-CW4-Quadcopter-Altitude-Landing/dp/B01HGHN4C0

and this drone?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXPW1WI/

You see how both batteries of the drones use a standard 3.7v 500-600mAh battery?

Well, I bought 4 18650 batteries that output 3.7v and has a 5,800mAh charge for 10$ and I wanted to see if my syma could use them as power

So I first taped it to the drone to see if it could lift it, and surprisingly it could very easily

Then I plugged it into the drone by taping it to the drone and attaching the terminals to the wires

The drone powered on, and flew for a bit, but then the low battery alarm triggered and the drone stopped flying...

Why is this happening? Is it because the battery can't supply enough current or something?

(the battery was not dead, i tested this)

Chinese batteries in question

https://www.amazon.com/Clearance-Rechargeable-Battery-Charger-Canserin/dp/B01JC0MF60/

5800mAh li-ion 18650 batteries do not exist. You've fallen victim to chinese sellers selling really crappy 18650 cells with a fancy sticker claiming high capacity on them.  These cells often hardly get 500mAh and fail to deliver high currents because of high internal resistances.

Some ppl have tested these batteries on youtube, like this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoKZU2ncUCc

There's more such video's if you look around.

In future, order batteries from known, reputable, brands such as Sanyo, Matsushita, Samsung, etc.

Around 2500mAh is the max that exists for now, and it certainly costs more then 10 bucks for 4.

Just now, Unimportant said:

5800mAh li-ion 18650 batteries do not exist. You've fallen victim to chinese sellers selling really crappy 18650 cells with a fancy sticker claiming high capacity on them.  These cells often hardly get 500mAh and fail to deliver high currents because of high internal resistances.

Some ppl have tested these batteries on youtube, like this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoKZU2ncUCc

There's more such video's if you look around.

In future, order batteries from known, reputable, brands such as Sanyo, Matsushita, Samsung, etc.

Around 2500mAh is the max that exists for now, and it certainly costs more then 10 bucks for 4.

meh

it was only 10$

for 10 bucks you could have got 2-3 genuine samsung or panasonic cells that actually deliver what they promise.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/12/2017 at 8:45 PM, babadoctor said:

meh

it was only 10$

That was what I was about to say lol, you fell victim to the Chinese liars.

If you are using it on the Drone you need also high discharge capacity cells too.
That is one of the reasons a lot of people go for LiPos, they have massive discharge capacities.

If you want to go with 18650 anyway, consider something like LG HG2 that have a max discharge capacity of 20Amps.

That considering it is a 3000mAh cell, it's very good.

Still, do your research first and consider if its actually worth it to go with 18650 cells.

Hope it helps,

Ralms