1070ti Rumored to be a LOCKED gpu

Space Reptile
Go to solution Solved by Delicieuxz,

This rumour is apparently mostly false:

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/10/13/nvidia_gtx_1070_ti_overclocking_specification

First and foremost, Ashley is incorrect in saying that the 1070 Ti can't be overclocked. This is not true. Manual overclocking will be allowed by end users, but from what we can see, there is actually an "overclocking frequency cap." This however does not seem to be what we would call a "low" frequency. If you took a good GTX 1080 and overclocked it, and good GTX 1070 Ti and overclocked it, the GTX 1080 is still going to squeak out a win, but not by much. This is obviously being done to keep the GTX 1070 Ti from cannibalizing the GTX 1080 market. This GTX 1070 Ti should be able to easily handle Vega 64 as well, not that you can find any of those for sale at MSRP anyway.

NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti – Can’t be Overclocked

An industry insider told eTeknix that the GTX 1070 Ti can’t be overclocked. In addition, we’ve been informed that NVIDIA will not release any reference cards and all AIB partner cards will be locked to the same speeds. However, price and aesthetics are expected to differ across partner cards.

yea you read that right , according to an article at eteknix the 1070ti and all its models will be LOCKED and cannot be overclocked 

gtx-1070-800x550.jpg

sauce

https://www.eteknix.com/gtx-1070-ti-cant-overclocked/

!!! UPDATE !!! 

thanks to @Delicieuxz we know more 

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/10/13/nvidia_gtx_1070_ti_overclocking_specification

basically stating that its most likely just people mixing things up as usual 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

So then what's the point?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I doubt that Nvidia will lock it, since that's how the AIB partners differentiate their variants.......it might be a max clock speed lock allowing a smaller range, but I doubt that Nvidia would be that short sighted

I called it way back that give it enough time and nVidia would start locking overclocking as well and if you want it a premium must be paid just like Intel :P

the GTX 1070ti is still the dumbest card on the whole Pascal line up, even dumber than the TITAN XP / TITAN Xp and GTX 1060 3GB

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

This will definitely make the pricing of these cards key to any sales if it is true...  Would be interesting to see if there is a technical reason for them locking it (if it is locked) or if it was decided just to prevent these cards from eating too much into 1080 sales.

Well just have to wait for the K variant so we can overclock.

If true this screams "were going to make up some bs technical reason for this but really we just want people to keep buying the 1080"

But if that was the case then 1070s that overclock well would start beating the Ti...

this would just be silly.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Well, this is stupid. It's definitely going to be bandwidth starved and if they limit the clock speeds I don't think that this card is going to be more than 5% faster than a 1070. IMO, they should have lowered the price of the 1080. The 1070 Ti makes no sense -_-

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I called it way back that give it enough time and nVidia would start locking overclocking as well and if you want it a premium must be paid just like Intel :P

the GTX 1070ti is still the dumbest card on the whole Pascal line up, even dumber than the TITAN XP / TITAN Xp and GTX 1060 3GB

Considering the diff in price between 1070 and 1080 is sometimes 100$ only, this is truly dumb and that in some tests you can OC 1070 to stock 1080

rip

It won't be long until custom bioses emerge to unlock them, if it's true that is.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It won't be long until custom bioses emerge to unlock them, if it's true that is.

but you could void warranty no?

rip

Kind of surprising, but not entirely. I mean, the 1070Ti was already a stupid card, but if it could be OC'd to almost match a 1080 OC'd, why would anyone buy the more expensive card? There has to be a catch somewhere. It'll be an interesting launch and review period to follow, that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Are there enthusiast created BIOS's? I thought only the AIB's can make those. They're not going to if it upsets Nvidia.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

An industry insider told eTeknix that the GTX 1070 Ti can’t be overclocked. In addition, we’ve been informed that NVIDIA will not release any reference cards and all AIB partner cards will be locked to the same speeds. However, price and aesthetics are expected to differ across partner cards.

Sources say...

20 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Probably to force people to buy the next card if they want more power. Maybe if you oc this one you can get pretty close to whatever the next card is, I actually don't know if it's the regular 1080 or 1080ti cause I've read somewhere that the 1070ti is in between the 1080 and 1080ti version.

I have a feeling this is the mobile version of the chip which carries the same name. Usually the press miss understand information received as they are not super tech experts. But anyway, we will wait and see. But suspect sales to be very low.

OR, another possibility, it is for OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.), which is most likely the case than a retail release for consumers.

I mean I don't see why ASUS, MSI, eVGA, and so on make the 1070Ti... they might produce a handful ones to try... but I think they'll see that it won't sale well. They don't have to manufacture everything Nvidia releases.

With gpu boost, I didnt find it necessary to overclock. But that was just me being lazy

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I have a feeling this is the mobile version of the chip which carries the same name. Usually the press miss understood information received as they are not super tech experts.

Ye old occam's razor coming into play does make the most sense as a locked desktop card makes no sense.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I have a feeling this is the mobile version of the chip which carries the same name. Usually the press miss understand information received as they are not super tech experts. But anyway, we will wait and see. But suspect sales to be very low.

OR, another possibility, it is for OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.)

This does seem to be the most likely scenario. I legitimately can't see Nvidia locking a desktop 1070ti chip like that.

24 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm assuming locked manual overclocks but with GPUBoost the cards overclock themselves to whatever the cooling and fan curve can handle anyway. Overclocking just pushes them harder than usual but it's no a dramatic difference between tweaking temps and fan speeds only.

-------

Current Rig

-------

33 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

While Vega64 is a flop, Vega56 is generally faster than the GTX 1070 and power consumption is ok. So once prices go back to normal it would have been a threat.

Therefore this is a good move by Nvidia. Better make a pre-emptive move now rather than watching as Vega56 gets more partner board options and even faster drivers in the next few months.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Maybe lower TDP then 1080 which would be good for miners and other home GPU based server usage. 

Just now, CapedCrusader21 said:

Maybe lower TDP then 1080 which would be good for miners and other home GPU based server usage. 

Good miners undervolt, making the 1070Ti irrelevant. Home servers also don't necessarily benefit from this over something like a 580, if at all.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.