HTC VIVE VS OCULUS RIFT?

charbel1011

i tried the oculus rift from a while back and i was amazed by it and i really wanted one and im planning to pull the trigger and buy one now as i don't want to wait for gen 2 so which one should i go htc vive or oculus rift?

The Oculus Rift is certainly the better buy now that the $399 price is permanent.

I have oculus and it is better and has better game support.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

7 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

I have oculus and it is better and has better game support.

so the htc vive is no go?

Just now, charbel1011 said:

so the htc vive is no go?

I wouldn't say that. It can run the Oculus games via the Revive tool, and is a good VR headset in general.

It's just not worth $200 more than the Rift.

Just now, Sakkura said:

I wouldn't say that. It can run the Oculus games via the Revive tool, and is a good VR headset in general.

It's just not worth $200 more than the Rift.

How's the game on the oculus? same as steam games or different library?

How's the game on the oculus? same as steam games or different library?

There's an Oculus Store and then there's Steam; some games are in both stores but there are also exclusives in each store. The Oculus Rift can use both of them officially, while the Vive has official access to Steam and needs the unofficial Revive tool to run Oculus content.

Just now, Sakkura said:

There's an Oculus Store and then there's Steam; some games are in both stores but there are also exclusives in each store. The Oculus Rift can use both of them officially, while the Vive has official access to Steam and needs the unofficial Revive tool to run Oculus content.

there's a deal going on now on newegg.com https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826910005 i don't know if i should go with it what's the +touch virtual reality? system?

31 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

there's a deal going on now on newegg.com https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826910005 i don't know if i should go with it what's the +touch virtual reality? system?

Oculus Touch are the controllers 

And I'd go for VIVE personally just to spite Oculus for being assholes and locking content into their platform. PC is about having the freedom to play your games on whatever system you choose to build, with the hardware you choose.

But unlike me you probably don't have more than $200 worth of spite xP

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

And I'd go for VIVE personally just to spite Oculus for being assholes and locking content into their platform. PC is about having the freedom to play your games on whatever system you choose to build, with the hardware you choose.

Money aint a problem at all my friend im just making my decision for the best one. since i don't have a big room my room is really small

Money aint a problem at all my friend 

In terms of hardware they're a very similar experience. The headset specs are basically the same. I hear tracking is supposed to be better on the Oculus but if it is, I haven't noticed it.

The VIVE has a significantly bigger tracking area, although that depends on if you have the room for it anyways. VIVE is 15ftx15ft where as Oculus has 5ftx5ft out of box and 8ftx8ft if you buy a third sensor, which also helps with controller tracking when you're moving around so I'd recommend it.

The Oculus has better controllers.

But yeah, even if money's not an issue paying more on principle isn't usually a wise move. If you need, and can actually make use of, the bigger tracking area of the VIVE go for it, otherwise the other posters are probably right that the Oculus is a better buy at it's cheaper price.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

In terms of hardware they're a very similar experience. The headset specs are basically the same. I hear tracking is supposed to be better on the Oculus but if it is, I haven't noticed it.

The VIVE has a significantly bigger tracking area, although that depends on if you have the room for it anyways. VIVE is 15ftx15ft where as Oculus has 5ftx5ft out of box and 8ftx8ft if you buy a third sensor, which also helps with controller tracking when you're moving around so I'd recommend it.

The Oculus has better controllers.

But yeah, even if money's not an issue paying more on principle isn't usually a wise move. If you need, and can actually make use of, the bigger tracking area of the VIVE go for it, otherwise the other posters are probably right that the Oculus is a better buy at it's cheaper price.

If i don't have a big room scale i can still use it while im sitting the htc vive?

3 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

If i don't have a big room scale i can still use it while im sitting the htc vive?

You can use both of them as both room scale and sitting, yeah.

Also of note, VIVE has a camera while Oculus does not. This can be used for Steam's Chaperone function (so you don't accidentally walk into walls), as well as "Room View" in case you need to do something irl while wearing the headset and can't be bothered to take it off for a second xP It's not a huge thing, since usually you want a big open space while doing room-scale anyways, but it is something to note.

Also of note, VIVE has a camera while Oculus does not. This can be used for Steam's Chaperone function (so you don't accidentally walk into walls), as well as "Room View" in case you need to do something irl while wearing the headset and can't be bothered to take it off for a second xP It's not a huge thing, since usually you want a big open space while doing room-scale anyways, but it is something to note.

do i get any games when i buy the htc vive? or no? i have to buy them any deals going on

1 minute ago, charbel1011 said:

do i get any games when i buy the htc vive? or no? i have to buy them any deals going on

Currently in the US you get a pre-order for Fallout 4 VR if you order through the official store. Unsure about other stores.

$599 USD vs $399 USD for the Rift. Both currently normal price, no sales.

Currently in the US you get a pre-order for Fallout 4 VR if you order through the official store. Unsure about other stores.

$599 USD vs $399 USD for the Rift. Both currently normal price, no sales.

I honestly heard the htc vive has a better quality picture over the rift 

6 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

I honestly heard the htc vive has a better quality picture over the rift 

They're both 2160x1600 OLED panels with 110° viewing angles and 90Hz refresh rates. They both have lens distortion and correct for it in software. The Oculus framework is a little bit bloatier than the VIVE framework, so if you have a lower end CPU, a CPU that thermal throttles, or a lot of stuff open in the background the VIVE might look better if the games have dynamic quality. Most VR games are GPU bound though, so it shouldn't matter as long as your PC meets specs. Edit: and even then it might drop it by one quality level, so in most cases it likely won't even be noticable.

17 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

They're both 2160x1600 OLED panels with 110° viewing angles and 90Hz refresh rates. They both have lens distortion and correct for it in software. The Oculus framework is a little bit bloatier than the VIVE framework, so if you have a lower end CPU, a CPU that thermal throttles, or a lot of stuff open in the background the VIVE might look better if the games have dynamic quality. Most VR games are GPU bound though, so it shouldn't matter as long as your PC meets specs. Edit: and even then it might drop it by one quality level, so in most cases it likely won't even be noticable.

i have the i7 6700k and the asus rog 1070 with 16gb ram overclocked to 3000mhz

1 hour ago, charbel1011 said:

That's not a sale really, that's the new standard price.

52 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Valve lock content into their platform too. Most major PC publishers do that.

Oculus are not the assholes, they're the ones spending hundreds of millions on content so VR doesn't die.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

That's not a sale really, that's the new standard price.

Valve lock content into their platform too. Most major PC publishers do that.

Oculus are not the assholes, they're the ones spending hundreds of millions on content so VR doesn't die.

Umm... OpenVR (SteamVR) is an open project, like Occulus said their framework would be prior to being acquired by Facebook.

Steam said practically as soon as OpenXR was announced that they'd move to support OpenXR through OpenVR. Occulus is contributing to the Spec but has yet to officially say they'll support it on launch.

Steam worked with Razer and the OSVR team to get OSVR cross-compatability in OpenVR. Meanwhile Occulus decided to lock content in their store to only run on their headset via a DRM solution to try and shut down ReVIVE.

VR doesn't need Facebook throwing content at it to flourish. Content is not VRs problem right now. Cost and accessibility of hardware is, and that will change regardless of Facebook flexing their wallet on content.

13 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

i have the i7 6700k and the asus rog 1070 with 16gb ram overclocked to 3000mhz

Your machine exceeds the requirements for either, it's really not an issue to start with.

Like I said, for the most part the quality difference if any is not something I can notice. My girlfriend has the Rift, I have the VIVE. My VIVE looks better but that's also because I have a $2500 CAD workstation desktop, vs her i5/rx480 machine. If there's an actual difference in quality between the two lens/display setups it's not something I could notice without having them right next to one another.

Go with the one you feel better about.

• Oculus is cheaper, has nicer controllers, and access to Oculus titles without hacky workarounds.
  • VIVE is more expensive, has a few niche extra features, and can use ReVIVE to access occulus stuff.

OpenVR is not really open, that's just Valve's marketing. This is why Oculus pushed for OpenXR.

OSVR doesn't run OpenVR, because OpenVR is not really open.

Valve locks all their content to their store, permanently. Why is Oculus not allowed to do the same?

VR does need funding to flourish, and content is VR's problem right now. Cost and availability of hardware is a lesser issue. PCs used to cost thousands of dollars, but once people had something to use them for, the high price didn't matter.

On 10/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, Sakkura said:

Valve locks all their content to their store, permanently. Why is Oculus not allowed to do the same?

The problem isn't Oculus locking content to a store, it's locking content to a piece of hardware for no good reason.

It's like EA locking Origin to EA branded PCs even though the hardware inside is pretty well the same as any other computer.

If i knew I could run games from Oculus Home on my Vive without having to rely on a 3rd party App I'd have less of a problem buying from them.

Since I can't, I buy everything I can from Steam as my next headset will likely be a Primax 8K or similar as I doubt very seriously Oculus is going to support anything but their own hardware any time soon. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it because they do have some good games.

From what I've seen from OC4, the Rift 2 is aiming for a more mid range affordable HMD and I don't want to buy 2 HMDs again next generation. That gets pricey. 

2 hours ago, trufret said:

The problem isn't Oculus locking content to a store, it's locking content to a piece of hardware for no good reason.

It's like EA locking Origin to EA branded PCs even though the hardware inside is pretty well the same as any other computer.

If i knew I could run games from Oculus Home on my Vive without having to rely on a 3rd party App I'd have less of a problem buying from them.

Since I can't, I buy everything I can from Steam as my next headset will likely be a Primax 8K or similar as I doubt very seriously Oculus is going to support anything but their own hardware any time soon. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it because they do have some good games.

From what I've seen from OC4, the Rift 2 is aiming for a more mid range affordable HMD and I don't want to buy 2 HMDs again next generation. That gets pricey. 

Oculus does not lock content to their hardware.

OC4 did not have any details on the second-gen Rift. The Oculus Go and Santa Cruz are not successors to the Rift, they are products in-between phone-based VR and high-end PC VR (Rift, Vive etc).

On 10/13/2017 at 7:02 PM, Sakkura said:

Oculus does not lock content to their hardware.

You can not play games you purchased from the Oculus Home store on the Vive or another manufacturers headset without the use of the 3rd party Revive software.

While Oculus may have backpedaled on the explicit hardware check they previously added to their software, not having native support for any other headsets results in the same outcome.

Revive is a nice bonus right now, but it could stop being supported by either the creator or Oculus at any time.

I'm not going to sink a lot of money into their store knowing that, when I can buy most of the games on steam and not have to worry about it.