Virtually Running 2 OS's

Hi all,

For my job, I work between both Windows and macOS. For the past few months, I've been using VMWare workstation to run the macOS virtually but it's beginning to struggle. I got my hardware upgraded to help but was remember the LInus video with 2 gamers 1 CPU. I would like to try something like this, but after some research there seems to be certain constraints. Here is my hardware:

- HP Z600 Workstation

- Dual Xeon Quad Cores

- 48GB DDR3

- 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSDs

- 2 x Seagate 1TB HDDs

- NVIDIA Quadro FX580

- AMD FirePro V9500

- PCI network card

- 3 x Monitors

- 2 sets of keyboards/mice

I'd like to be able to have macOS on 1 monitor and Windows on 1 or 2, each with a CPU, 24GB RAM, GPU, keyboard/mouse, SSD, HDD so both systems shouldn't be struggling (in theory). unRAID would be ideal but my work will not pay for this, so are there any other alternatives? Originally I was going to use ESXi but I would need a client and will render the GPUs useless. I'm not familiar with KVM and it's ability to support macOS. If this cannot be done, fair enough I will go back to the way I was doing it before but on the new hardware.

Thanks

here's a piece of advice: dont bother with unraid if it's not "just for the lulz", get some apple device, and use something like synergy to achieve the same thing. this assures that your work is done in a stabile mac environment, and is done without being on thin ice in terms of OSX license agreements.

Proxmox can do what most of unraid can do for free (and it has zfs and ceph support). You can run a vm or container for fileserver.

I think KVM can be used for osx and it definitely has gpu pass through. Proxmox uses KVM. You will need to love the Linux shell if you want to use proxmox efficiently and the management web UI needs a static IP (you can use dhcp if you wanna delve into ifconfig files).

You mean you have a high end Mac Pro of the specs you listed right? ;)

On 1/20/2016 at 1:52 PM, Windspeed36 said:

Talking about piracy in general, broad details, is acceptable however the posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not. This includes Windows content, games, hackintosh, etc. Also discussions regarding ways to avoid or block legitimately installed monitoring/tracking software or the like is also not allowed.

This will all be running on Apple/Mac hardware and you want to virtualize on that so you are in keeping with Apple's Terms and Conditions for Mac OS which is only allowed to be run on official Apple hardware, right? ;)

I'm not certain I understand where your problem lies. I use Oracle's VirtualBox, and get this same setup (an OS on each screen) on much less hardware power (GPU aside)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

20 minutes ago, manikyath said:

here's a piece of advice: dont bother with unraid if it's not "just for the lulz", get some apple device, and use something like synergy to achieve the same thing. this assures that your work is done in a stabile mac environment, and is done without being on thin ice in terms of OSX license agreements.

We don't have any Apple devices my work would be willing to part with for me to use on the latest OS.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You mean you have a high end Mac Pro of the specs you listed right? ;)

This will all be running on Apple/Mac hardware and you want to virtualize on that so you are in keeping with Apple's Terms and Conditions for Mac OS which is only allowed to be run on official Apple hardware, right? ;)

Honestly, I completely forgot about going the Hackintosh route. Tbh I'm not as bothered about the GPUs, it is more the keyboards/mice and being able to use both seemlessly.