Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out Now!

GoodBytes
On 10/12/2017 at 12:45 AM, NumLock21 said:

Finally!

A GPU graph!

I'm disappointed that they still haven't included temperature on there though.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

48 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I think I might know why it doesn't show the Video encode and decode for my Nvidia MX150. The Intel igpu is the primary and MX150 is the secondary. Disable the igpu in device manager also disables the MX150, and windows just reverts back to Standard Display Desktop Adapter. The MX150 some how cannot run independently on its own, it's dependent on the Intel igpu.

Some laptops are built like that.  Switchable graphics comes (came?) in many forms, especially in the early days.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

"Win key" + "." brings up the emoji panel...

But WHY does it work only with English keyboard??!!

13 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I'm disappointed that they still haven't included temperature on there though.

You can up vote for it in the Feedback Hub

(link removed as it seems it only works for those part of the Windows Insiders program)

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

You can up vote here, in the Feedback Hub:

https://aka.ms/S2u6gi

That said, how are temps related to Tasks, one would argue?

Should that be in the under utilized System Information panel?

Link says I don't have access to that feedback.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Oh,... interesting.. maybe because I am under the Insider Program.

Oh well, well you can search for: Task Manager temperature, and see what comes up, and up vote.

I guess the GPU graph is nice but i'll never use it personally. Did change that Copy graph to VR though for kicks. 

c94678b86bdcf56d9b2d7f086d116e7c.png

GPU-Z or RTSS is miles better for vidya geams. This is is probably nice for everything else though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Bit of an update: Joker is reporting impressive performance gains for game mode on this like almost 30% in some cases:

@GoodBytes I might have missed you have any comments or insight on this? Cause it seems like the most important upgrade yet for gamers if true (Just got the update myself but I haven't got the time to test it on games yet)

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

@GoodBytes I might have missed you have any comments or insight on this? Cause it seems like the most important upgrade yet for gamers if true (Just got the update myself but I haven't got the time to test it on games yet)

Cool! I have a potato computer, so I can't play many of the newer games to test anything. I just game on my Nintendo Switch. Will upgrade my PC end of next year.

I did mentioned that GameMode has been improved for quad and hexa core CPUs. Glad to hear that the improvements are visible, at least for some games

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Cool! I have a potato computer, so I can't play many of the newer games to test anything. I just game on my Nintendo Switch. Will upgrade my PC end of next year.

I did mentioned that GameMode has been improved for quad and hexa core CPUs

It does seems to be reacting to games using past 4 threads so it might be that it is approaching the xbox one way of working with multiple cores better. I'll test out with DE: Mankind and report back.

EDIT: Still watching but Gamers Nexus is reporting that it might actually be GPU improvements not CPU ones, at least for Ryzen 1700. It might be more specific for AMD Vega owners, which still helps the case regardless tbh (i.e. finally using Freesync on my monitor might be on the table now)

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

You're not alone:

Capture.JPG.0cc2439b5bb8c26876e48efead529fc3.JPG

Not sure if I am doing something wrong but I can't find any feedback. I can't search for it either. Only post new feedback.

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I guess the GPU graph is nice but i'll never use it personally. Did change that Copy graph to VR though for kicks. 

GPU-Z or RTSS is miles better for vidya geams. This is is probably nice for everything else though. 

For me, this new tool is the only thing that actually shows GPU usage properly.  GPU-Z shows it randomly changing between 100% and 0%, and GPU-Z also doesn't show a separate usage for rendering vs video encoding.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

For me, this new tool is the only thing that actually shows GPU usage properly.  GPU-Z shows it randomly changing between 100% and 0%, and GPU-Z also doesn't show a separate usage for rendering vs video encoding.

Either polling rate or your GPU-Z is rekt. 

Video encoding/rendering isn't a thing it needs anyway since it's mostly a tool for OC validations and submissions. Little graphs for clock, power, temps and volts are all it really needs. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Either polling rate or your GPU-Z is rekt. 

Video encoding/rendering isn't a thing it needs anyway since it's mostly a tool for OC validations and submissions. Little graphs for clock, power, temps and volts are all it really needs. 

Video encoding usage is also useful for seeing how hard it's working when doing video encoding

Folder protection is a great idea on paper.

But in practice its completely broken garbage

wow.PNG

Seriously. It blocks changes from settings and windows explorer.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

Microsoft new way to reset your defaults without it being "their fault"

Untitled.png

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

13 minutes ago, kagarium said:

Folder protection is a great idea on paper.

But in practice its completely broken garbage

Seriously. It blocks changes from settings and windows explorer.

Works perfectly.  Else a malware can go "register ransomeware.dll panel to file explorer", and then "Open folder to: %userprofile%\Documents", and then your stuff gets encrypted. Takes only a few minutes to do.

14 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Microsoft new way to reset your defaults without it being "their fault"

Well stop using outdated programs. The documentation is clear on file associations that has been defined since Vista. And the old ways was marked as deprecated since, and since Windows 10 discontinued. That leaves more than 9 years for programs to update their code base. I think they had enough time. And to STILL not update their code after Windows 10 is out, shows you how the dev cares about the software, assuming they are anyone working on it.

When other programs don't have problems, it is perhaps time to start considering alternatives.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Well stop using outdated programs. The documentation is clear on file associations that has been defined since Vista. And the old ways was marked as deprecated since, and since Windows 10 discontinued. That leaves more than 9 years for programs to update their code base. I think they had enough time. And to STILL not update their code after Windows 10 is out, shows you how the dev cares about the software, assuming they are anyone working on it.

When other programs don't have problem, it is perhaps time to start considering alternatives.

out dated programs? The only default I changed was from edge to Firefox, which is the latest version available. 

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

out dated programs? The only default I changed was from edge to Firefox, which is the latest version available. 

I see "Films & TV" , and I assume the rest is on media formats pointing to either Groove or Film & TV. I don't think your problem is Firefox. I have Firefox, and no problem on my side.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Works perfectly.  Else a malware can go "register ransomeware.dll panel to file explorer", and then "Open folder to: %userprofile%\Documents", and then your stuff gets encrypted. Takes only a few minutes to do.

I have to wonder if programs could get around it doing something like this no matter what.  Copy code into the memory of a whitelisted program and then trick it into executing it.  Afaik it's still a thing that can be done on windows

43 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I see "Films & TV" , and I assume the rest is on media formats pointing to either Groove or Film & TV. I don't think your problem is Firefox. I have Firefox, and no problem on my side.

weird, I never changed any defaults I only use windows for playing Minecraft with my friends who are on Xbox lol. Might have just been bug of some sort. Nothing has broken so far so I assume it's all fine

58 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I was trying to make a new folder in my Videos folder when it blocked me from doing it. Doesn't sound like it's working perfectly.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

28 minutes ago, kagarium said:

I was trying to make a new folder in my Videos folder when it blocked me from doing it. Doesn't sound like it's working perfectly.

If it blocks you, then it works. You need to add File Explorer to the list of exceptions list. But you open yourself to a flaw.. up to you to decide if you trust it or not. I have indicated you a security flaw in File Explorer for this feature, where a ransomeware could utilize to by-pass the security measure and encrypt your data.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I think it's a bug in Windows actually. I've had it happen on my laptop several times with different programs, but the same programs on my desktop (same version as well) have never been reset.

For example my PDF reader (SumatraPDF) would always get changed back to Edge on my laptop. On my desktop it has stayed the default ever since I installed it.

But on my desktop I had an interesting issue where I could not set the default browser to anything but Edge or IE. I had to go into the old control panel and set the default browser from there.

This new default programs implementation in Windows 10 seems really broken and flawed.