Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out Now!

GoodBytes
26 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

The wave hit me no more sound from my mobo time to do a fresh install back to the previous version of windows 10 yippy updates sure are fun. 

Did you try uninstalling your motherboard onboard sound chip drivers, restart, check for update/install the drivers again, and see if it works now?

Did you try the Sound troubleshooter?

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Did you try uninstalling your motherboard onboard sound chip drivers, restart, check for update/install the drivers again, and see if it works now?

Did you try the Sound troubleshooter?

went to the microsoft update catalog got the latest ones installed them restarted a few time it would work for like maybe a few secs then get distorted and crap out. Either my mobo on board audio is shot or realtek needs newer drivers. I'm just going to do a fresh install and go from there ain't much on my pc anyways. 

Everything is working great. Tried game mode again, this time with Shadow of War, it totally tanked performance and had to be disabled. So aside from that it is great.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

15 minutes ago, Valermos said:

Everything is working great. Tried game mode again, this time with Shadow of War, it totally tanked performance and had to be disabled. So aside from that it is great.

If I were to guess. The game is multi-processed, and probably communicates between each process via shared memory (or the DRM system is in a separate process). Game Mode throttles heavily non focused processed. So like if you play background Youtube video, or whatnot or recording a game play on the same system or video stream or something, all will act like if you were on a potato system. As the game is multi-processed, and not or not fully multi-threaded instead like most games, it throttles the background .exe's that the game needs, and kills the performance.

Assuming it is not the DRM system 'causing a fuss, the game might have 1x exe for drawing the visuals and have another .exe for fetching objects and textures, and map data, for example, both exe's uses shared memory space.

I forced the update yesterday for a Lenovo E560 and a custom Desktop computer and so far so good.

Laptop: E560, i5, SSD, Bitlocker, TPM, all the works and it seems okay so far.

I Updated my system before I updated. Lenovo TVSU and manual updates. Wanted to make sure this was done correctly...

Work related, Office, Notepad++, wireshark. Very minimal installs.

Desktop: Ryzen 5 non-x, Tomhawk arctic B350 (one of the later BIOS, but NOT the latest, latest), r9 290 pretty recent update, maybe Aug. and a few SSD's of different manufacturers.

Last set of searching and manual updates was around august? end of Sep. so i have the latest bios until then. This is personal rig so i was not crazy about all the updates and making sure it went smooth, i just did the update when it came out and i am okay so far.

Fun stuff like: Steelseries app, Steam, Origin, Battle.net, VirtualBox, Libre Office, etc...

Just giving a quick rundown of what I have installed when I did the update and so far so good:)

If I use any of the mentioned applications and there are any issues I will post back if anyone cares xD But my two systems seems fine today and i use them both almost constantly between work and play.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, but kinda. Doesn't work with all apps, and little to no information is given on the behavior. I thought it didn't make it on Fall Creator Update and be pushed to Redstone 4... but I guess it was released in the end.

Anyway to turn it off:

Cortana > Notebook (second icon from the top, on the side menu) > Pick up where I left off. And turn it off.

I like that feature, it's useful but I wish that there would be a pop up before shutting down /restarting and give an option to reopen the programs (if surported) 

Had to agree that it's inconsistent with apps, I thought that restarting my pc with the apps open would reopen exactly the same apps but in the end, only task manager opens.

If you have a Razer laptop. DO NOT update to the Fall Creator Update.

Razor has not updated its drivers for it, and will result to many issues such as the trackpad, keyboard and USBs stops working from waking up from sleep.

According to The Inquire, a poster in the Razer Forums called Kokorone said

Razer has not updated compatibility with their drivers to support this version of windows and it renders the trackpad, keyboard, and USB features useless when waking from sleep mode on battery power. Reinstalling drivers or talking to Razer support will do nothing to fix your issue. The only fix is to roll back to Creators Update until Razer gets their sh*t together and fixes the problem.

It has been confirmed by other users.

Apparently, Razer knew the compatibility issues with the Fall Creator Update, and has not provided supported, and still doesn't provide support to its users if you reach the company.

Source: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3019392/razer-gaming-machines-borked-by-windows-10-fall-creators-update

If you have a Razer laptop and have or want the update, try to use the latest manufacture drivers of the actual hardware, and not Razer site. It looks like it is a USB controller driver issue.

Oops, accidentally forced the update when I was really looking for a way to delay/disable the damn thing. No way to stop it now, is there ?

Haven't tried forcing the issue yet, but Alcohol Soft's virtual drive is being reported as incompatible when I attempt to manually update.  I've updated to the latest version of A120, but it's still complaining that the drivers aren't compatible.  I'm contacting their support to see if any patches are forthcoming.

Just reporting in case anyone else uses it (or Daemon Tools, as they use similar drivers).

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Haven't tried forcing the issue yet, but Alcohol Soft's virtual drive is being reported as incompatible when I attempt to manually update.  I've updated to the latest version of A120, but it's still complaining that the drivers aren't compatible.  I'm contacting their support to see if any patches are forthcoming.

Just reporting in case anyone else uses it (or Daemon Tools, as they use similar drivers).

Daemon Tools Pro is working perfectly for me but I'm using SPTD and not the DT driver.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Daemon Tools Pro is working perfectly for me but I'm using SPTD and not the DT driver.

They both use SPTD for the underlying technology, but still rely on their own driver for the actual virtual device.  I used to be part of the support team for ASoft many years ago, but I got away from it when I started running my own business for a time.

To update from before, it appears not all has gone as smoothly as I thought.  I have noticed two issues:

• When I first boot up, sound does not work and if I click it it runs the troubleshooter which fixes it quickly.
Spoiler

Capture.PNG.8d6002c85c59f43d9e5f4294020d7f77.PNG

(not my system just an image I found)

• It messed up my GPU/MSI Afterburner.  The core would get stuck at 300 MHz, and if I did a trick to fix that it would function normally again but afterburner would report the mem as not being OCed, and neither slider for core or memory speed would work.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

apparently the fall update is supposed to have improved performance with game mode on as reported by Joker:

Rock On!

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If you have a Razer laptop. DO NOT update to the Fall Creator Update.

Razor has not updated its drivers for it, and will result to many issues such as the trackpad, keyboard and USBs stops working from waking up from sleep.

According to The Inquire, a poster in the Razer Forums called Kokorone said

It has been confirmed by other users.

Apparently, Razer knew the compatibility issues with the Fall Creator Update, and has not provided supported, and still doesn't provide support to its users if you reach the company.

Source: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3019392/razer-gaming-machines-borked-by-windows-10-fall-creators-update

If you have a Razer laptop and have or want the update, try to use the latest manufacture drivers of the actual hardware, and not Razer site. It looks like it is a USB controller driver issue.

This just makes me wonder what the hell Microsoft is doing? Why are there so many driver issues every time they release a new update, and are they really going to make users go through all these issues several times a year?

Get your shit together Microsoft. It shouldn't be hard making an update that doesn't break shit.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This just makes me wonder what the hell Microsoft is doing? Why are there so many driver issues every time they release a new update, and are they really going to make users go through all these issues several times a year?

Get your shit together Microsoft. It shouldn't be hard making an update that doesn't break shit.

Well it is obvious that they are doing changes to the back. Those can be security bug fixes, to actual bug fixes. If a driver exploits a bug to do something... what can MS do? Leave the big there?

The big question is why they are hardware manufacture don't join in the Insider program, at least Release Preview ring or Slow Ring, and test their drivers?

Then again, MS should be more public on driver and "OneCore" changes.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Well it is obvious that they are doing changes to the back. Those can be security bug fixes, to actual bug fixes. If a driver exploits a bug to do something... what can MS do?

Leave the big there?

Are you really making the argument that if I am not pleased with Microsoft breaking compatibility several times a year I must think that they should not patch security holes? And are you really saying that Microsoft has no choice?

This has never been an issue before, so I don't see why it is needed now.

I'm not saying that Microsoft are breaking things on purpose (which would be silly), but it seems like they are just changing things without doing much quality control or planning.

How often did updates break things back in the Windows 7 days? Not very often. With Windows 10 we get widespread issues several times a year. I mean, just look at your own posts and how many times you have warned users about this update and how you need to ensure that you do X, Y and Z before you upgrade or else you will have issues... It's crazy. Every update to Windows 10 seems to be about as stable as an Eiffel tower made out of spaghetti tower these days, and I am getting pretty sick of worrying about how the update I am forced to install might break things, and how it will reset a bunch of things I have explicitly disabled/uninstalled.

I had huge issues with the first CU, however seems like most of them are gone. Reinstall few programs fixed mose of the remaining ones, but I have few concerns.

First of all, MS uninstalled my Asus touchpad drivers without any notification or warning which I don't like.

Second, good thing they focused on important things like changing the letters in some names, instead of focusing on scalling issues that still exist and that people have been complaining about since 10 was releases. Seriously, what the hell? 

Also, when is the option for choosing which update we'll install coming? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, BroliviaWilde said:

apparently the fall update is supposed to have improved performance with game mode on as reported by Joker:

I've been hearing from friends saying they're getting up to 15 FPS more in some games.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

49 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Are you really making the argument that if I am not pleased with Microsoft breaking compatibility several times a year I must think that they should not patch security holes? And are you really saying that Microsoft has no choice?

This has never been an issue before, so I don't see why it is needed now.

I'm not saying that Microsoft are breaking things on purpose (which would be silly), but it seems like they are just changing things without doing much quality control or planning.

Please read updated post. Sorry I hit the Submit button by accident.

How often did updates break things back in the Windows 7 days? Not very often. With Windows 10 we get widespread issues several times a year. I mean, just look at your own posts and how many times you have warned users about this update and how you need to ensure that you do X, Y and Z before you upgrade or else you will have issues... It's crazy. Every update to Windows 10 seems to be about as stable as an Eiffel tower made out of spaghetti tower these days, and I am getting pretty sick of worrying about how the update I am forced to install might break things, and how it will reset a bunch of things I have explicitly disabled/uninstalled.

That is an annoyance. Before it was "OK", because it happened less than once a year with SP. Now, it is twice a year. I fully agree.

I think what would make the process better is it it shows a window going: "Hey! The following will be uninstalled due to compatibility issues with the upgrade process. You'll need to re-install them after!", or something like that. Like this, when something stops working, you KNOW what to do (say: Missing driver x). Or: "The following drivers needs to be updated before upgrading."

That would help a lot.

Another issue I have is when dead end problem. For example, if you have a problem and you get those wonderful Microsoft error: "Something happened! 0xC00025b62c" or whatever error code, at very least, have the Troubleshooter do whatever it takes to fix it, or make it clear what is the problem, and what are probable 'causes. The worst I got is, when the store can't install or update apps, with error: 0x80073CFE

Here is the error and how to fix it:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh973484(v=vs.85).aspx

ERROR_PACKAGE_

REPOSITORY_CORRUPTED

0x80073CFE

The package repository is corrupted.

You may get this error if the folder referenced by this registry key doesn't exist or is corrupted:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageRepositoryRoot

To recover from this state, refresh your PC.

Really?! That is the solution... re-install Windows.... really? Like, you could not bother at least making Troubleshooter for Windows Apps or a new one to redo whatever needs to be redone to fix it? I am sure it is tedious to do, but you can't end with a dead end situation like this.

Anyways...

Try to upgrade on my laptop, just give a failed error. Went on to do a clean install. Gpu graph is nice, but i noticed only the intel one had video encoding and decoding. The nvidia one doesn't, it has compute and security. And there is a bunch of "copy" for gpus in the drop down menu. Have no idea what that means.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, but kinda. Doesn't work with all apps, and little to no information is given on the behavior. I thought it didn't make it on Fall Creator Update and be pushed to Redstone 4... but I guess it was released in the end.

Anyway to turn it off:

Cortana > Notebook (second icon from the top, on the side menu) > Pick up where I left off. And turn it off.

Thank god that can be turned off. It's one of the more annoying things in OS X.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Try to upgrade on my laptop, just give a failed error. Went on to do a clean install. Gpu graph is nice, but i noticed only the intel one had video encoding and decoding. The nvidia one doesn't, it has compute and security. And there is a bunch of "copy" for gpus in the drop down menu. Have no idea what that means.

I have those on my Nvidia GPU (see pictures). I think it just pulls whatever it can from the drivers. "Copy" stuff is probably the names returned by the drivers. I don't know what they are.. maybe "copy operation" for a certain task internally in the GPU.. and you have a few for the different tasks.

I think it will clear up over time, as Nvidia, Intel and AMD now explains more. Probably implemented for game/CUDA/GPU accelerated program developers custom debug tools, that would be my guess.

17 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I have those on my Nvidia GPU (see pictures). I think it just pulls whatever it can from the drivers. "Copy" stuff is probably the names returned by the drivers. I don't know what they are.. maybe "copy operation" for a certain task internally in the GPU.. and you have a few for the different tasks.

I think it will clear up over time, as Nvidia, Intel and AMD now explains more. Probably implemented for game/CUDA/GPU accelerated program developers custom debug tools, that would be my guess.

You mean pics in the op?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

35 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes. GeForce GTX 680

I think I might know why it doesn't show the Video encode and decode for my Nvidia MX150. The Intel igpu is the primary and MX150 is the secondary. Disable the igpu in device manager also disables the MX150, and windows just reverts back to Standard Display Desktop Adapter. The MX150 some how cannot run independently on its own, it's dependent on the Intel igpu.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!