Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out Now!

GoodBytes
Just now, GoodBytes said:

Yes sir! :D

That's odd. I didn't noticed any slowdowns with my fiber connection (20↑/20↓). Makes me wonder how much bandwidth Windows Update is using.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

15 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

That's odd. I didn't noticed any slowdowns with my fiber connection (20↑/20↓). Makes me wonder how much bandwidth Windows Update is using.

I'd have to guess that installing was only for the other update that came alongside the FCU as it downloads and installs separately.

I've gotten the FCU installed and the first thing I've found is that the num lock/caps lock/scroll lock lights on my steelseries apex raw keyboard no longer function even though they still actually work unless I have to do a reboot (or something else has screwed things up).

I just want to point out that Bahnschrift Font is sexy.

Just finished installing W10FCU. I was digging through the settings and found that you can now enable or disable ASLR.

59e704cf08e28_Screenshot(343).png.e3963887da835c95d396056aca084f73.png

@GoodBytes do you know why the other ASLR is turned off by default? Also, the built in anti-ransomware feature is turned off by default after updating.

image.png.5ea599ed7e2e23144a3b7663243faa7d.png

My laptop update went smoothly.

My PC got stuck on like 98% and failed. On my second attempt it got to like 80%. Windows Update says my system is up to date. I checked Update history and the update 'Requires a restart to finish installing'. I restarted the PC and it didn't update.

I tried again today and it updated.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:42 AM, tp95112 said:

Some good and some stuff I would never use like the moji panel. But the download limit panel is quite usefull

I was surprised to see an upload setting as well. I guess it's possible to fully disable it, at least for those on "metered connections"?

On 10/12/2017 at 2:43 PM, RagnarokDel said:

go to a café with wifi?

How long would it take to donwload on public wifi, though? (Put differently, what's the size of the download?)

On 10/12/2017 at 3:41 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Because it was never really all that useful for much.

That's a reason to abandon it, but doesn't explain why they remove it (IIRC, they already removed it form some versions, while keeping it in Pro). I mean, we also have FireWire support after all :P It is irrelevant for those ignoring it, and a problem for the few using it. So there has to be a reason (like some of the changes requiring some extra work to be compatible with ReFS).

4 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Just finished installing W10FCU. I was digging through the settings and found that you can now enable or disable ASLR.

@GoodBytes do you know why the other ASLR is turned off by default? Also, the built in anti-ransomware feature is turned off by default after updating.

Not sure. But probably because of compatibility issue.

Yes the anti-ransomware is turned off by default, as if it is turned on even Office won't be able to save any file found in it, unless you add it to the exception list.

27 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes the anti-ransomware is turned off by default, as if it is turned on even Office won't be able to save any file found in it, unless you add it to the exception list.

Not really a “set it and forget it” solution then if I have to individually whitelist applications. But awhile ago, I enabled it and decided to run Cinebench. It sort off gave me a notification which I forgot what it said but Cinebench still executed and I was able to run the benchmark. 

51 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

How long would it take to donwload on public wifi, though? (Put differently, what's the size of the download?)

dunno it took me like 5 minutes.

I let it install overnight, didn't do anything of what Goodbytes recommended (nervous), everything seemed to install ok though.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

image.png.5d9fb37a17a648030b83fea9a79a684e.png

So here's the error message as if Windows Defender thinks that Cinebench is executing a malicious payload. I was still able to run the benchmark though.

12 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

So here's the error message as if Windows Defender thinks that Cinebench is executing a malicious payload. I was still able to run the benchmark though.

That's exactly what it should be doing.  It doesn't block programs from reading data, just writing.  If CB had never been run, then it wouldn't have been able to write any config files to Documents.  It can read the existing config files, but not update them with any changes or record your scores.

I'm just waiting for someone to find a flaw in it that lets them block you from accessing your own files, or gives them unlimited access to your system.  I just don't trust MS to be competent enough to provide a good AV.

The only issue I'm having with my computer is that my bluetooth mouse will jump around like a cat on crack for a few seconds when I first turn on my computer. However, once I fully get into Windows, it starts working fine.

Kinda weird, but I can live with it for now.

My update seems to have completed seamlessly.  I do notice one bug though

Capture.PNG.71420c497d490783305491b53ed49fef.PNG

The bars are shrunk and the icons pushed over for seemingly no reason when in "Tile" view

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The bars are shrunk and the icons pushed over for seemingly no reason when in "Tile" view

Yea. There is an indent... this is ""normal"". I don't get it. I though it would be fixed before the official release, and that was done for something coming up later on... but I guess MS didn't bother fixing it. Then again,  am not seeing many people complain about it under the FeedBack Hub app

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea. There is an indent... this is ""normal"". I don't get it. I though it would be fixed before the official release, and that was done for something coming up later on... but I guess MS didn't bother fixing it. Then again,  am not seeing many people complain about it under the FeedBack Hub app

It seems like there are tons of both small and big bugs that Microsoft don't spend time fixing. Some that have existed since the original release of Windows 10. Maybe Microsoft should dedicate an entire release just to clean up.

56 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Same, I forced it on release day and everything seems fine. It also seems like MS FINALLY fixed the default apps resetting bug I've had since launch.

I used my computer pretty heavily last night and most of today and nothing reset yet.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

GPU.PNG.e09bb76a1cd9a5114cab1f1611051072.PNG

As someone who just likes information for the sake of having it (as well as troubleshooting), the GPU monitoring is my favorite addition.

clockspeed.PNG.83479cfc6902ea12293be14bc1b50c21.PNG

And clock speed seems to be accurate now!

You know what's dumb?If you download an update and don't install it, it won't stay on your PC so you'll have to download it again -.-

32 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

You know what's dumb?If you download an update and don't install it, it won't stay on your PC so you'll have to download it again -.-

You sure about that? I think it just rechecks the download. So it is "downloading", but not really. I need to check the Task Manager to compare next time.

For some reason I've been stuck at "windows is preparing to install updates" for at least one hour :(

does windows 10 fall creator update does something that a mac does now? reopen certain program upon restart?

1 hour ago, Yongtjunkit said:

does windows 10 fall creator update does something that a mac does now? reopen certain program upon restart?

Yes, but kinda. Doesn't work with all apps, and little to no information is given on the behavior. I thought it didn't make it on Fall Creator Update and be pushed to Redstone 4... but I guess it was released in the end.

Anyway to turn it off:

Cortana > Notebook (second icon from the top, on the side menu) > Pick up where I left off. And turn it off.

Well if you didn't like the Emoji character box and are worried about the Win + . shortcut just switch yourself to UK locale straight up doesn't work. You're welcome :D

The wave hit me no more sound from my mobo time to do a fresh install back to the previous version of windows 10 yippy updates sure are fun.