Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out Now!

GoodBytes

I cannot confirm if SMBv1 will only be disabled by default on a clean install or disable at upgrade, or be completely removed. My system has been upgraded to the "Skip Ahead" Insider programs, making me be in this hybrid Fall Creator Update and Redstone 4 release until the next release which will probably be late next week. My work PC has newer versions of many apps than my device.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

@GoodBytes ReFS can still be used, just not created, from Pro right? My whole setup isn't going to crash and burn until I get Pro for Workstation, is it? :P

Correct. While I diodn't test this, if I am not mistaken, based on my understanding, you can still use ReFS formatted drives, just can't format it.

3 hours ago, SlipperyPete said:

and? this is a thread discussing new features tweaks to a Windows update. Mac OS has had many features before windows but this isnt the thread where we are discussing that.

Lol, you expected something else from someone who literally has an Apple themed username and an apple themed picture?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

gpu usage stats been on mine for months,i think i'm in the insider program though

Life is easy, all you have to do is Live

4 minutes ago, Juniho said:

gpu usage stats been on mine for months,i think i'm in the insider program though

Yes you are. :)

Seems pretty neat.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Might want to fix your grammar.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

1 minute ago, nicolas2465 said:

Might want to fix your grammar.

Care to help?

12 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Why wasn't GPU usage a thing since the beginning of times? xD

Well... standard needs to be put in place... and really, actual GPU on most systems, and not just gaming PCs started back in 2006 with Vista... before Intel integrated graphics and other solution that most PC used like VIA and S3 where not actual GPUs. They were like onboard sound chips... where it needs the CPU to do all the work, and it just takes the data convert it to whatever video connector and output (pretty much). They did include some hardware acceleration for video and DVD playback, and a few effects like basic shadows for Windows support, but that is pretty much it.

If you recall, beside the OS bugs, on most system Vista could not move many or any window smoothly, because not only the shell was actually GPU rendered instead of CPU, but you had transparency (glass effect), a taxing process for non-high-end GPU of the time. This is where VIA and S3 graphics pulled out of making graphic chips, and Intel pull themselves together and make a graphic chip to handle all this, forming an actual GPU... and things got fast enough by the time Windows 7 come out, 3 years later.

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Lol, you expected something else from someone who literally has an Apple themed username and an apple themed picture?

i actually really like @DrMacintosh i think they provide a lot to the forum and see them a lot on threads that dont pertain to mac stuff. its was more of a friendly nudge to stay a bit more on topic.

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Does anybody care about font smoothing like the OSX does? When will you start taking it seriously MS? Font looks terrible on my already pathetic laptop display.

Just now, SlytherJack said:

Does anybody care about font smoothing like the OSX does? When will you start taking it seriously MS? Font looks terrible on my already pathetic laptop display.

That is your display. Sorry :/

What laptop do you have? (or what is the screen resolution and size)?

23 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That is your display. Sorry :/

He is right though, MS could work on smoothing out the UI and text. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

He is right though, MS could work on smoothing out the UI and text. 

Sorry no. Microsoft can't fix low resolution displays and TN/*VA panel limitations, the same way that they can't magically add performance out of a computer.

Crappy hardware is crappy hardware.

Apple displays are high-DPI, featuring decent IPS panels. The OS is high-DPI aware like Windows (although some less used panels in Windows aren't, but that is not the conversation), and so text looks smooth, easy to read like a decent and premium grade smartphone display.

Funny that my W10 is still running even without the Creators Update, because something went wrong with it, and it doesn't even prompt me about it. I know you could do the update manually, but I heard that some people had big problems after doing that, so I didn't bother.

I still have this text greet me, when I open my Windows Update page: Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it? :D

Anyhoo, hoping this new update resolves the problem with the previous one.

6 hours ago, ZackBarletto said:

If it is the original windows 10, I thought they were ending support for that. Hurry my friend!

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/844769-microsoft-officially-discontinues-support-for-windows-10-november-2015-update/

Do get any UI issues or search issues? That's the only issues I face when I need to update to the "creators" on various computers.

Sweet, thanks!

Im running version 1607. It says the update is available but they haven't pushed it down to the machine yet. I didnt update manually because when the update came out it fucked up a lot of machines. 

I do have UI issues. My mouse cursor gets distorted. It eventually fixes itself. Before some one says a borked install, its happened on this machines for the last 3 installs. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry no. Microsoft can't fix low resolution displays and TN/*VA panel limitations, the same way that they can't magically add performance out of a computer.

Apple displays are high-DPI, featuring decent IPS panels. The OS is high-DPI aware like Windows (although some less used panels in Windows aren't, but that is not the conversation), and so text looks smooth, easy to read like a decent and premium grade smartphone display.

To be fair, the MacBook Air does have a 1440 x 900 TN panel.

I'm not aware of any issues on Windows though. I also thought Windows had some font smoothing.

In any case, I'm guessing it comes down to the same problem high DPI displays have on Windows: developers don't support it and the API only works with UWP.

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Buying a high resolution display would make text look nicer, but what I think he is talking about are font rasterization engines.

For those who don't know, that's the engine responsible for converting the vectors to bitmaps which are mapped to the pixels on your screen and some include subpixel rendering to make things smoother.

Windows uses ClearType, while MacOS and many other operating systems use FreeType.

(If we are going to be picky, the font rasterization engines in Windows are DirectWrite, GDI and Uniscribe, and ClearType is the name for the subpixel rendering used in them)

ClearType is more strict with adhering to pixel-grids because at very low resolutions that makes letters sharper and thus clearer to read.

FreeType tries to preserve the aesthetics of the font even at lower resolutions, at the cost of slight blurriness.

Here is a comparison I just made (please note that it will not look the same for you as it does for me unless you have an RGB subpixel layout).

59dfe0b3708fe_FreeTypevsClearType.png.ff4e685d2a499da3f085858c9a60dcf7.png

And here is a comparison zoomed in 400% to make the difference slightly more obvious.

59dfe0c3d9f6e_FreeTypevsClearType2.png.3f7b05d234fa5d43920747e0079f19aa.png

Please note that this is not meant to be some scientific test comparing FreeType vs ClearType. I just want to show that fonts will look different on different systems. And which rendering is the best is very subjective, people will mostly prefer whichever one is the most familiar to them.

Also, the FreeType image is from Ubuntu, which is slightly different from how MacOS would render it.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

To be fair, the MacBook Air does have a 1440 x 900 TN panel.

Yes.. beside that one... and the text is just as bad as a typical laptop on the PC side.. Yes i saw the system in action. Beside the CPU (and associated chipset) being updated, and even then 5th gen Core i5/7 CPU, Apple never actually updated the system. Very sad.

In any case, I'm guessing it comes down to the same problem high DPI displays have on Windows: developers don't support it and the API only works with UWP.

That is not true. The APIs works on Win32. The problem comes down to programs using custom GUI frameworks, where were never designed for any DPI level beside the default one. So implementing this is very resource consuming (time and money). And this is not helped by the fact that "Now It's High DPI aware!!!" isn't a particular selling feature. So it is not pushed. So in a way, their custom GUI framework that they worked on, has an architectural flaw and it is very costly to fix.

But you have a nice collection of high-DPI aware programs now, and it is growing. Beside Windows built-in programs, you have: Firefox, Chrome, Microsoft software (Skype Win32, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, Blend, Office), Logitech latest mouse driver panel, Nvidia Control Panel, AMD Control Panel, FileZilla FTP, SmartFTP, AIDA64, MobaXtern, Paint.NET, Photoshop, and many others.

28 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That is not true. The APIs works on Win32. The problem comes down to programs using custom GUI frameworks, where were never designed for any DPI level beside the default one. So implementing this is very resource consuming (time and money). And this is not helped by the fact that "Now It's High DPI aware!!!" isn't a particular selling feature. So it is not pushed. So in a way, their custom GUI framework that they worked on, has an architectural flaw and it is very costly to fix.

But you have a nice collection of high-DPI aware programs now, and it is growing. Beside Windows built-in programs, you have: Firefox, Chrome, Microsoft software (Skype Win32, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, Blend, Office), Logitech latest mouse driver panel, Nvidia Control Panel, AMD Control Panel, FileZilla FTP, SmartFTP, AIDA64, MobaXtern, Paint.NET, Photoshop, and many others.

You can not push all the blame to third party developers using custom GUI frameworks. Not even Microsoft has coded their programs for high DPI awareness properly.

Internet Explorer, Notepad and a bunch of other programs got proper support in the creators update for Windows 10. Before then they might have been partially high-DPI aware, but they couldn't do things such as scale accordingly if you moved the window from a high-DPI monitor to a low-DPI monitor.

Also, this is a direct quote from Peter Felts who works with high-DPI scaling in Windows, and this was posted in April this year (so fairly recently):

As of writing this blog, the high-DPI documentation available on MSDN is horribly outdated. The guides for writing per-monitor DPI aware applications were written in the Windows 8.1 timeframe and haven’t seen any significant updates since then. Also, many Windows API have DPI sensitivities that are not documented. That is to say that some Windows API will behave differently if they’re being called from a system-DPI-aware context vs. a per-monitor DPI aware context.

Here is a post about making Notepad per-monitor DPI aware. As you can see, it is fairly complicated (this is just for making it per-monitor-DPI-aware, since it was already system-DPI-aware). If Microsoft themselves had so many issues using their own APIs to turn a simple program like Notepad properly DPI aware then you really expect developers to put in the time and effort to do it either.

Hell, Microsoft even said:

We recognize that these, and many other, platform features are going to be needed by developers before they’re fully unblocked from updating their desktop applications to handle display scaling well.

Microsoft's APIs have been lackluster, and the documentation has too.

Adding the GPU to resource monitoring is awesome!

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Nice for GPU details in task manager. Still no universal settings which expected. Also the Fluent Design not fully done as well as File Explorer still got no update which is very much needed. Needs dark theme option and tabs for start.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Great with performance diagrams for GPU now. Love it.

But what about HDR? When will W10 actually support HDR properly?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro