Wondering what the best name is for my idea (Hue Philips but addressable):

• Prisume 
  • dreamillume 
  • zillume
  • zillu
  • illuroma
  • dreme
  • illumea

Helps to know what the focus will be ... 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Helps to know what the focus will be ... 

edited that in

A play on the word illuminate is pretty overdone. I actually quite like Dreme.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

33 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

A play on the word illuminate is pretty overdone. I actually quite like Dreme.

Which would be the better tld in your opinion?

dreme.me dreme.it dreme.io dreme.us

the name doesn't matter if the product is good and you got a decent marketing budget.

Just realized you are the same guy asking for addressable LED lights in the Hobby Electronics sub forum.

Buying of the shelf stuff and putting a different name on it is not gonna make it successful, especially because you want to buy china crap instead of having something made to your specifications.

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

the name doesn't matter if the product is good and you got a decent marketing budget.

Just realized you are the same guy asking for addressable LED lights in the Hobby Electronics sub forum.

Buying of the shelf stuff and putting a different name on it is not gonna make it successful, especially because you want to buy china crap instead of having something made to your specifications.

Haha no I'm not buying off the shelf stuff and reselling it. I'm building a prototype for a business proposal thing. I'd obviously have my parts manufactured rather than use cheapo parts and a wacky arduino set up; but that's not ideal for a proof of concept.

honestly for this idea a proof of concept is not really needed, it will work if you make it work, the technology exists and it's all a question of prototyping with the hardware you want to have fully integrated in the finish product and then moving on to actually have custom PCB´s and stuff made.

For what you want you probably looking at something like an ESP8266 to run a webserver and have it programmable and combine it with whatever LED´s fit your requirements.

step 1 would be define what the product should be capable of

step 2 check for available component to fit the specs and maybe adjust the specs if needed

step 3 prototype with the components both for hardware and partially for the software

once this is done you can start creating a custom PCB and ordering a small batch to assemble yourself for further prototyping.

before you are not at this point you shouldn't even think about business proposal stuff because you have nothing on hand that would be worth anything to anyone.

Anyone can go out and say that he want to build whatever but hardly anyone is willing to take the steps you need to take on your own cost before you have anything to even begin the business.

5 hours ago, Acorn Eye said:

Wondering what the best name is for my idea (Hue Philips but addressable):

• Prisume 
  • dreamillume 
  • zillume
  • zillu
  • illuroma
  • dreme
  • illumea

Could I propose the following name as a suggestion:

LIT.af

2 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

honestly for this idea a proof of concept is not really needed, it will work if you make it work, the technology exists and it's all a question of prototyping with the hardware you want to have fully integrated in the finish product and then moving on to actually have custom PCB´s and stuff made.

For what you want you probably looking at something like an ESP8266 to run a webserver and have it programmable and combine it with whatever LED´s fit your requirements.

step 1 would be define what the product should be capable of

step 2 check for available component to fit the specs and maybe adjust the specs if needed

step 3 prototype with the components both for hardware and partially for the software

once this is done you can start creating a custom PCB and ordering a small batch to assemble yourself for further prototyping.

before you are not at this point you shouldn't even think about business proposal stuff because you have nothing on hand that would be worth anything to anyone.

Anyone can go out and say that he want to build whatever but hardly anyone is willing to take the steps you need to take on your own cost before you have anything to even begin the business.

Not according to Peter Thiel's fellowship guidelines, which all you really need is meaningful progress to a vision. I've already outlined what the product would be and what components we would need. 

I just feel like throwing together a website really quick for the idea to showcase myself a bit. Hence the business name and all that.

that guy is a freaking investor who got rich with the .com bubble by investing in paypal at the right time, not like he build a business out of nothing.

throwing together a website does not create a business so it seems like you just want to have something up hoping someone is giving you money for the hard part of actually building something?

You want to get into a market that is already full of competitors, now that even IKEA has smart lighting available there is even a low cost option on the market.

Save yourself the time and move on to another idea where you actually have a chance to get into because in this market you gonna be on your own and need to show that you have the superior product which doesnt seem like you want to go all in to do that.

3 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

that guy is a freaking investor who got rich with the .com bubble by investing in paypal at the right time, not like he build a business out of nothing.

throwing together a website does not create a business so it seems like you just want to have something up hoping someone is giving you money for the hard part of actually building something?

You want to get into a market that is already full of competitors, now that even IKEA has smart lighting available there is even a low cost option on the market.

Save yourself the time and move on to another idea where you actually have a chance to get into because in this market you gonna be on your own and need to show that you have the superior product which doesnt seem like you want to go all in to do that.

Peter Thiel did not invest into PayPal, he cofounded PayPal and was CEO during the initial parts of it.

Regardless, for his fellowship application, you don't need a website; nor is it probably that helpful. However I would still like to create a website since I articulate better that way. A website needs a name and that's all I'm asking for.

3 minutes ago, Acorn Eye said:

Peter Thiel did not invest into PayPal, he cofounded PayPal and was CEO during the initial parts of it.

thats the part where the english wikipedia article is short on information, the german on has the details

1998 lernte Thiel den Informatiker Max Levchin kennen. Er investierte 280.000 US-Dollar in dessen Startup-Unternehmen PayPal und wurde Chief Executive Officer (CEO) des Unternehmens.

in short he met Max Levchin in 1998 and invested 280000$ into his startup Paypal and was made the CEO of the company.

He already came from a well of german family as his father was a chemist so he was born into wealth but made a smart investment to gain more wealth.

21 hours ago, Acorn Eye said:

Which would be the better tld in your opinion?

dreme.me dreme.it dreme.io dreme.us

.it or .io

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...