high temps on Linux ubuntu for laptop

I'm trying to make the switch from windows 10 to Linux. I'm pretty new the linux environment. I just installed lm-sensors to check the thermals on my laptop. I'm not doing anything too taxing or demanding with it. I'm just writing some code in cLion and have chrome open, but when i use sensors in terminal I see temps as high as 75c. Normally in windows the laptop didn't get so hot and I started checking out drivers. I noticed I don't have a lot of drivers installed like for my nvidia gpu and some drivers for intel. I can't really tell what's causing this extra heat, but could the lack of proper drivers be an issue here?

my laptop : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA57X5B03396&cm_re=ASUS_ROG_STRIX_GL502VS-DB71-_-1TS-001A-004H0-_-Product 

Can I improve the thermals in linux somehow? The laptop doesn't get hot and the fans don't spin up much in windows unless I'm gaming.

1 minute ago, Pachuca said:

I'm trying to make the switch from windows 10 to Linux. I'm pretty new the linux environment. I just installed lm-sensors to check the thermals on my laptop. I'm not doing anything too taxing or demanding with it. I'm just writing some code in cLion and have chrome open, but when i use sensors in terminal I see temps as high as 75c. Normally in windows the laptop didn't get so hot and I started checking out drivers. I noticed I don't have a lot of drivers installed like for my nvidia gpu and some drivers for intel. I can't really tell what's causing this extra heat, but could the lack of proper drivers be an issue here?

my laptop : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA57X5B03396&cm_re=ASUS_ROG_STRIX_GL502VS-DB71-_-1TS-001A-004H0-_-Product 

Can I improve the thermals in linux somehow? The laptop doesn't get hot and the fans don't spin up much in windows unless I'm gaming.

Is there some load in the back? its probably runnning at 75 for quiet operation I wouldn't worry too much. It like my pc gpu doesn't run fans until 51 celcius

Just now, Aidanlockett1 said:

Is there some load in the back? its probably runnning at 75 for quiet operation I wouldn't worry too much. It like my pc gpu doesn't run fans until 51 celcius

I'm pretty new to linux, how do i check if something else is loaded? I only open cLion to code in and have chrome running. Nothing else is load as far as I know. I know windows has some power management options like balanced, power saver, performance. These all change how much energy the hardware uses. Is there something like that in linux? 

Just now, Burusutazu said:

Install the TLP package, by default Ubuntu does not really thermal manage for laptops.

what is that? Is there a command for it or is this something I need to download?

Last I checked some linux distros didn't support Nvidia Optimus. Nvidia Optimus switches between your 1070 and iGpu. In windows Nvidia Optimus will select your iGPU when not playing games, but Linux will run your 1070 when not playing games due to lack of support of Nvidia Optimus. This is what it does with my Ghost Pro Laptop with an 970m. I will let you know if I find a solution. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Was it running hot/loud with any other OS? My old laptop use to run super loud and hot until I finally took it apart, cleaned off the old thermal paste and then applied new noctua paste...yes I am marketing for them! Now the old laptop not only runs really quiet, but it stays super cool and runs faster too!

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

1 minute ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Last I checked some linux distros didn't support Nvidia Optimus. Nvidia Optimus switches between your 1070 and iGpu. In windows Nvidia Optimus will select your iGPU when not playing games, but Linux will run your 1070 when not playing games due to lack of support of Nvidia Optimus. This is what it does with my Ghost Pro Laptop with an 970m. I will let you know if I find a solution. 

With my laptop (2630QM + 6770M) depending on how I fiddle with it I can get it to lock in on either the iGPU or the 6770M, but yeah, switching, either live or even manually does not work.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Found what I was looking for. This is called Bumblebee and its practically a Nvida Optimus Driver for Linux. It allows you to select what GPU you want to use via Command Line. Also please install Nvidia Drivers to make sure that Bumblebee will work properly. It may work or may not, but it should. 

https://bumblebee-project.org/

Edited by CmzPlusHardware
Spelling Issues :/

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Just now, dual290x said:

Was it running hot/loud with any other OS? My old laptop use to run super loud and hot until I finally took it apart, cleaned off the old thermal paste and then applied new noctua paste...yes I am marketing for them! Now the old laptop not only runs really quiet, but it stays super cool and runs faster too!

no this laptop is only a few months old and I don't have this heating problem in windows. I have both OS installed on here. 

18 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

what is that? Is there a command for it or is this something I need to download?

http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html

It's a bunch of power optimizations, don't really know how to better describe it. Thermals should be better as well as battery life.

sudo apt install tlp will install it

Lord of Helium.

Just now, Burusutazu said:

http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html

It's a bunch of power optimizations, don't really know how to better describe it. Thermals should be better as well as battery life.

sudo apt install tlp will install it

thanks, already found it online and installed. Temps just dropped by 20c. I'm running at 53c now and it's still going down.

8 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

thanks, already found it online and installed. Temps just dropped by 20c. I'm running at 53c now and it's still going down.

TLP is realy great, I can get battery life pretty comparable to Windows on normal power settings with it. 

Lord of Helium.