Sennheiser Releases HD 660 S

Max_Settings

Sennheiser just released their HD 660 S, the successor to the legendary HD 650. They are Black HD 650s with a 150ohm impedance, a redesigned driver, and apparently more low end and sub bass. They also are advertising a lot about mobile use. I now see why they were willing to dilute the HD 650s with the HD 6XXs, because they were planning on releasing these. Anyway what do you think?

http://en-ca.sennheiser.com/headphones-audiophile-high-end-hd-660-s

0C634306-74E7-4435-BF83-FE2A697E2539.jpeg.44cfbf698871aa59c64d02e25d8fd557.jpeg

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

*sucessor

Whoops fixed that.

Just now, RGProductions said:

Hopefuly this means a price drop on the 600/650s?

Maybe, but we’ll see

Well.... I paid full price for my 650's a few months ago and equipped with the schiit stack I'm curious how these 660s will fair against... I must find a way to test them both side by side because my 650s are honestly amazing. I jam out to them for 1-2 hours a night minimum just listening to music!

4 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Well.... I paid full price for my 650's a few months ago and equipped with the schiit stack I'm curious how these 660s will fair against... I must find a way to test them both side by side because my 650s are honestly amazing. I jam out to them for 1-2 hours a night minimum just listening to music!

Don't! The thing about audio is that there's always another mountain to scale, new heights to be reached. Believe me, I went through a phase where I'd be buying headphones left, right and center.......reselling what I don't like, and keeping what tickles my fancy. Only problem is......I liked many of the headphones I've tried, and I've ended up with 15 cans now. Right now, I'm fighting off this urge to get a Cayin iDAC6 + iHA6 stack simply because they look badass and have been well reviewed.......it never ends!

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

12 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Don't! The thing about audio is that there's always another mountain to scale, new heights to be reached. Believe me, I went through a phase where I'd be buying headphones left, right and center.......reselling what I don't like, and keeping what tickles my fancy. Only problem is......I liked many of the headphones I've tried, and I've ended up with 15 cans now. Right now, I'm fighting off this urge to get a Cayin iDAC6 + iHA6 stack simply because they look badass and have been well reviewed.......it never ends!

My HD515 & 555 just keep ticking along.  These things are built like tanks (with that Sennheiser sound) that fit over my huge melon.  The 600-series are GOOD looking, though...

On 10/12/2017 at 10:06 AM, GamerDude said:

Sigh this is what im afraid of.. headphone drug addiction

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

8 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

Sigh this is what im afraid of.. headphone drug addiction

I own HD6xx, HD518, HD598c's, G4me One, 429S somewhere, previously owned HD202's.....

I dont have a Headphone drug addiction, I have a Sennheiser Addiction

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 11/10/2017 at 8:06 PM, GamerDude said:

Ok so i plan on building my own pc gaming setup andd my question is would the 660s be good for gaming and electronic music/hip hop, and if yes do i need to buy an dac or amp to tun them.

This is the HD 6x0 chassis with the HD 700 driver dropped in. No confirmation yet on what if any tuning has been done to the driver to get it to play nice with the change in enclosure. Either way, I am skeptical that this will be an upgrade to the HD 650 or even HD 600 across the board given the issues with the HD 700 in both measured and sonic performance.

On 10/11/2017 at 4:56 PM, Max_Settings said:

They also are advertising a lot about mobile use, it comes with a 3.5mm cable and a 3.5 to 2.5mm adapter for portable players.

According to the project page, it comes with the same cable as the HD 650, that is 1/4" with a 1/4" to 1/8" dongle adapter.

7 hours ago, Dado1985 said:

Ok so i plan on building my own pc gaming setup andd my question is would the 660s be good for gaming and electronic music/hip hop, and if yes do i need to buy an dac or amp to tun them.

Shure srh 1540 sounds like it fits the bill

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

1 hour ago, applesuxD said:

Shure srh 1540 sounds like it fits the bill

I've always wanted to try the 1540's, dunno why in all my past frenzied purchases, I'd never gotten one. Perhaps I'm more of an open back can kinda guy, closed back was never a top priority. Got the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (sold it off) and ATH-W5000 and sold it off too. But among my collection, I do have some excellent closed back in th Denon AH-D2000 and AH-D7000, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and Audio Technica ATH-A900X LTD.......and a Fostex T50RP modded with the Mayflower kit (oh fine, it's semi-open, or is it semi-closed?)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

1 hour ago, GamerDude said:

I've always wanted to try the 1540's, dunno why in all my past frenzied purchases, I'd never gotten one. Perhaps I'm more of an open back can kinda guy, closed back was never a top priority. Got the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (sold it off) and ATH-W5000 and sold it off too. But among my collection, I do have some excellent closed back in th Denon AH-D2000 and AH-D7000, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and Audio Technica ATH-A900X LTD.......and a Fostex T50RP modded with the Mayflower kit (oh fine, it's semi-open, or is it semi-closed?)

10 hours ago, Dado1985 said:

DO NOTE:  The shure srh1540 kinda sounds harsh at higher listening levels. Which is why im gonna spend 2 times more to get the mrspeakers Aeon cos those sound balls to the walls. The shures are great.. But the sad thing is that they can really compete with all aspects other than the slightly harsher sound at high listening levels.

But, if you're not a dude who listens to shitty mastered music like bohemian rhapsody (sadly..) Then it's perfectly good for a headphone.

Get Lucky- Pharrel Williams Is where the srh1540 shines

What about gaming and electronic music hoe are thye for that??

31 minutes ago, Dado1985 said:

What about gaming and electronic music hoe are thye for that??

Would not be your best option. For around the same price the TH-X00s or MDR-Z7s would be much better for gaming or dubstep because they have serious low end.

Btw, if anyone has a review on it pleaseeee post it soon. I'm dying to know how it sounds :0

4 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Would not be your best option. For around the same price the TH-X00s or MDR-Z7s would be much better for gaming or dubstep because they have serious low end.

For dubstep, 'serious ow end' would be appreciated, but not necessarily for gaming where a wider soundstage and imaging would be preferred. So it's wrong to say that just because a can can have 'serious low end' that it would be 'much better'.

Just now, GamerDude said:

For dubstep, 'serious ow end' would be appreciated, but not necessarily for gaming where a wider soundstage and imaging would be preferred. So it's wrong to say that just because a can can have 'serious low end' that it would be 'much better'.

Fair point, but it depends on what you want for gaming. Low end is nice for games with gun shots and explosions, it makes them sound more dramatic, but some people prefer sound stage and imaging for hearing footsteps.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Fair point, but it depends on what you want for gaming. Low end is nice for games with gun shots and explosions, it makes them sound more dramatic, but some people prefer sound stage and imaging for hearing footsteps.

Sure, I agree that a can with a V-shape sound (emphasize bass and treble), games can sound more dynamic and impressive for some. Others need that soundstage and imaging for greater accuracy in games where you may possibly need to hear where your enemies are before actually seeing them (and fragging their sorry asses).