High End Gaming in your PALM - ASRock DeskMini GTX

I'm as enamored with large PCs as I am w/ small ones. It often makes me feel like Dewey Cox in Walk Hard when he asks for more blankets and less blankets.

There's an error right at the start with the threadripper details.

There's 64 lanes, that's correct. You put a  *  as if there's fineprint , but there's none.  Probably meant to say 60 are usable, because 4 go to chipset.

But then you go and say there "7-device" limit, which could be understood that you can install only up to 7 pci-e things, which is wrong.

You guys probably took that out of some phrase like "each pci-e x16 can be further split into x1 , x4 and x8 , up to 7 devices per x16 group of lanes"  So you could have 10 x4 slots for example, without any problems, or 12 m.2 connectors each with a x4 pci-e link (for a total of 48 lanes used by ssd drives)

later edit : sigh, they could have put an undervolted Vega56 in less footprint than what's used for that MXM 1080 card, and with a heatsink and cooler with heatpipes and then have 2 92-120mm 15mm tall fans to blow air over everything.

later later edit : they made it 213 x 154.5 x 81.9mm (2.7L)  ... they could have made it 240+mm so that you could squeeze 2 x 120mm fans on top.

I think the For Honor minimum results are broken, shows full desktop at 61 fps and desk mini at 90. That cannot be correct...

How new is this Mini-STX standard? you can hardly expect an existing cooler to work on a brand new motherboard standard

15 minutes ago, Shiz0id said:

How new is this Mini-STX standard? you can hardly expect an existing cooler to work on a brand new motherboard standard

From Wikipedia :

Mini-STX (aka Intel 5x5) is a motherboard form factor that supports upgradable processors. Size-wise, it's in between Intel's NUC (next unit of computing) motherboards and Mini-ITX boards that are popular in small form-factor builds.

The Wikipedia page references a PCWorld article published on the 25th of August 2015 , so it's not exactly a new standard, or something Asrock invented as the video says at around 1:30 ... just another thing the video got it wrong

About expensive MXM modules and support for the form factor:

You're about 10 years too late start complaining about this issue, the whole idea being a change/upgrade capable part for mobile and small form factor (and iMac) that just never had any traction, based on some basic and understandable problems for consumers and manufacturers.

1- Is the price to high for consumers to buy at or is the turn around too low that retailers need to charge high prices, demand & supply or the egg and chicken?

2- The need for custom cooling to match both card design and the small/odd form factor cases makes for difficulty supporting upgrades and change in future cooling discourages manufacturers.

3- Support from MB makers to allow for new hardware. Anything beyond a emergency bios updates is rare for many gaming notebooks, even the ones review by LMG, fan made bios and firmware to support new generations of graphics cards are the savior to lovers in the community.

I think more then small push to change things now

52 minutes ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

I think the For Honor minimum results are broken, shows full desktop at 61 fps and desk mini at 90. That cannot be correct...

We looked into that and it seems that For Honor is very sensitive to drive speed which is why the M.2 on DeskMini did so well, on our desktop we only had a SATA SSD.

So cooling and price are the issues?

Cooling could probably be solved by both improving cpu cooler compatibility and somehow working a better GPU heatsink.

Cost. Well that's Intel/nVIDIA's fault most likely.

I'd opt for something like an i5 7400 for the CPU, but IDK if it would bottleneck a GTX 1080. If so maybe just downgrade to a GTX 1070?

• 5 years later...