144 Hz TN vs 60/75 Hz ips

Erik-DK

So I just bought a new computer and therefore I also need a new screen. 

Kinda deciding about getting a 144 Hz TN display or a 60/75 Hz ips display. 

Running a 1070 and 7600k so not even sure if I will reach enough fps to justify getting a 144hz?

Going to be playing games like far cry, battle field, fallout, Witcher, pubg and so on. My budget doesn't allow for 144hz ips, so yeah... 

So what would you prefer? Refresh rate or color accuracy? 

Been looking at these screens btw 

Acer 24" Predator LED XB240H

Samsung 27" LED Curved C27F396

AOC 27" LED I2790PQU/BT

those are kinda more "cinematic" games so i'd aim for colour and view angles with IPS rather than the high refresh rates

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

4 minutes ago, Erik-DK said:

So what would you prefer? Refresh rate or color accuracy?

I would prefer colour accuracy but if I could have both that would be great (and if I bought an expensive monitor I would want this), but you have to decide this for yourself :P

Have you witnessed a high refresh rate monitor in person before?  If not, I suggest you do before deciding otherwise you'll be going in blind xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I recently upgraded from a 75 Hz lg ips monitor to a 144 Hz Acer TN monitor and I prefer the 144 Hz. I play AAA games and I have an fx 8350 and a gtx 1070.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would prefer colour accuracy but if I could have both that would be great (and if I bought an expensive monitor I would want this), but you have to decide this for yourself :P

Have you witnessed a high refresh rate monitor in person before?  If not, I suggest you do before deciding otherwise you'll be going in blind xD

I've never tried a 144hz display before. Should probably try that out before I buy! 

1 hour ago, bloby124 said:

I recently upgraded from a 75 Hz lg ips monitor to a 144 Hz Acer TN monitor and I prefer the 144 Hz. I play AAA games and I have an fx 8350 and a gtx 1070.

you hit 144 fps in AAAs with an 8350?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

you hit 144 fps in AAAs with an 8350?

I don't think he said he was hitting 144, more likely hes hitting more than 75 and prefers the extra frames

1 hour ago, Erik-DK said:

-snip-

If you're not one of those NNNNNN1337 hardcore fps gamers that needs all those frames i would advise the IPS, i have a IPS and a TN and the difference is quite there(would take IPS anyday) tho i'm not a hc gamer

11 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Since you care so much about color accuracy how much is the XG2401 in denmark

It's around 350$ so not that expensive. Would that be a good option? The acer predator is only 295$

5 minutes ago, Erik-DK said:

It's around 350$ so not that expensive. Would that be a good option? The acer predator is only 295$

Its got one of the best TN panels on the market for budget 144hz 

LG 24GM77 is comparable to the XG as well so if thats cheaper go with the LG

7 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Its got one of the best TN panels on the market for budget 144hz 

LG 24GM77 is comparable to the XG as well so if thats cheaper go with the LG

The LG is quite a bit more expensive here in Denmark... So I will definitely look into the XG2401! Cheers