Ryzen Motherboard Choice

Burusutazu

I'm approaching the end of my build (only need to buy the Ryzen 1600 and a Motherboard) but I don't really know which motherboard would work best.

I'm looking at B350 boards with 4 ram slots that can support my 3 case fans. Has to be mATX.

I picked this one out: http://a.co/bLpoNxB but I wanted to get some opinions from other people. If you want to suggest a board it has to be sub $80 usd.

Here is the rest of my build for context:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WGgC7h

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

My build will have soft blue LED lighting, nothing too fancy or flashy.

I'll be buying a GTX 1050Ti or 1060 3GB in the future once I save up a bit more money.

What do you think of the motherboard? Any suggestions?

Lord of Helium.

That's the exact board I would've recommended.  Good overclocking and nice size (not expensive either)

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

That's the exact board I would've recommended.  Good overclocking and nice size (not expensive either)

I actually looked a quite a few motherboards but picked that one out because I thought the layout was more intuitive. The black and white colors also were a better fit than the brown color a lot of boards that price are.

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Even better than the ASRock is Asus TUF B350M Plus

Well out of my price range, a good looking board nonetheless. 

Lord of Helium.

3 minutes ago, Burusutazu said:

I'm looking at B350 boards with 4 ram slots that can support my 3 case fans. Has to be mATX.

I use the ATX version of that board, and it's not bad. You won't be breaking 4GHz on the overclock. It doesn't have certain overclocking options in the bios that make overclocking easier. No SOC Voltage control. No ability to change switching frequency. No Load-line Calibration (LLC) options. Sure, these are 'advanced' options and aren't strictly needed, but it'll prevent you from extreme overclocks. You'll be able to do 3.8GHz without any problems though, which is where most Ryzen 5 1600 users tend to settle.

You'll also need a fan splitter, something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423163. The matx version only has one fan header on the board that allows fan speed control. The other header runs 100% regardless.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

1 minute ago, johndms said:

I use the ATX version of that board, and it's not bad. You won't be breaking 4GHz on the overclock. It doesn't have certain overclocking options in the bios that make overclocking easier. No SOC Voltage control. No ability to change switching frequency. No Load-line Calibration (LLC) options. Sure, these are 'advanced' options and aren't strictly needed, but it'll prevent you from extreme overclocks. You'll be able to do 3.8GHz without any problems though, which is where most Ryzen 5 1600 users tend to settle.

You'll also need a fan splitter, something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423163. The matx version only has one fan header on the board that allows fan speed control. The other header runs 100% regardless.

Yeah, I had no plans on going overboard with the overclock. Thanks for the fan splitter suggestion, I had a few options for those set aside already but it's nice to see some new options.

Lord of Helium.

1 minute ago, Burusutazu said:

Yeah, I had no plans on going overboard with the overclock. Thanks for the fan splitter suggestion, I had a few options for those set aside already but it's nice to see some new options.

I've had fairly good luck with the ATX version of the board. It has three fan headers, two of which I can control with the 3rd party Speedfan application, so I use two 3-way splitters for my six 140mm fans.

If you remember to update the bios, which is a simple process, you shouldn't have any issues with ram compatibility, either. I see so many complaints about that and feel I was extremely lucky to have my kit work without issue, so I'm attributing that to some good updated bios'.  Biosses? Biosi? what the hell is plural for bios? lol

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

3 minutes ago, johndms said:

I've had fairly good luck with the ATX version of the board. It has three fan headers, two of which I can control with the 3rd party Speedfan application, so I use two 3-way splitters for my six 140mm fans.

If you remember to update the bios, which is a simple process, you shouldn't have any issues with ram compatibility, either. I see so many complaints about that and feel I was extremely lucky to have my kit work without issue, so I'm attributing that to some good updated bios'.  Biosses? Biosi? what the hell is plural for bios? lol

The MasterBox Light I bought only supports 3 case fans so a single 3 way splitter should be perfect. Updating the bios will be a learning experience, but I should not have any problems with it. I'll be sure to look into a bios update if my RAM is not running full speed.

Lord of Helium.

1 minute ago, Ethocreeper said:

Asus prime b350

I want a board with 4 ram slots.

Lord of Helium.

1 minute ago, Burusutazu said:

I want a board with 4 ram slots.

It has 4 and am sure. I've built 6pcs with that mobo

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

It has 4 and am sure. I've built 6pcs with that mobo

Could I get a link? My search only brings up a board with two slots.

Lord of Helium.

3 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

Thanks for the links, I'll look into the Prime-B350M-A-CSM the Plus is over budget. Any pros or cons compared to the ASRock I should know about?

Lord of Helium.

3 minutes ago, Burusutazu said:

Thanks for the links, I'll look into the Prime-B350M-A-CSM the Plus is over budget. Any pros or cons compared to the ASRock I should know about?

The assrock one you have in your pcpp has only 2 slots and you said you want 4

The assrock one you have in your pcpp has only 2 slots and you said you want 4

A bit confused, both the pcpp link and Amazon link go to boards with 4 slots in the photos and specifications?

Lord of Helium.

7 minutes ago, Burusutazu said:

A bit confused, both the pcpp link and Amazon link go to boards with 4 slots in the photos and specifications?

Yea it's for I was looking on another mobo

Its a solid mobo didn't have any problem with any of the pcs ive built

Both look great, will have to think about it awhile.

Lord of Helium.

On 10/11/2017 at 3:24 PM, Ethocreeper said:

On 10/11/2017 at 3:49 PM, Burusutazu said:

The Prime b350m-a-csm is a bad choice. Even though you have no plans to overclock, it has no VRM heatsink. I'd worry putting a six or eight-core Ryzen on a board with no factory VRM cooling capability, just don't do it. If one plans to overclock, I'd expect the board to wear out much quicker than one with even a crappy heatsink.

1 hour ago, johndms said:

The Prime b350m-a-csm is a bad choice. Even though you have no plans to overclock, it has no VRM heatsink. I'd worry putting a six or eight-core Ryzen on a board with no factory VRM cooling capability, just don't do it. If one plans to overclock, I'd expect the board to wear out much quicker than one with even a crappy heatsink.

I bought the ASRock board last night after thinking about it awhile. Reviews on Newegg and Amazon were far more in favor of the ASRock board as well. My first build (- a new GPU, hello 750ti for now) should be completely finished next weekend. :)

Lord of Helium.

Update: The ASRock works great and my build came out pretty nice. Still not that great at cable management though.

IMG_20171020_194440019_LL.thumb.jpg.b052c45e7bfc93b9316d44591a9bf1f1.jpg

Lord of Helium.

On 12/10/2017 at 4:49 AM, Burusutazu said:

If u plan to overclock, the asus b350m prime doesn't have vrm heat sinks if I recalled correctly. 

12 hours ago, boiboi69 said:

If u plan to overclock, the asus b350m prime doesn't have vrm heat sinks if I recalled correctly. 

Already got the ASRock board.

Lord of Helium.