More Like Coffee Lack: Coffee Lake Shortage "grinds" Sales To a Halt

Looking to upgrade that rig of yours to the newest generation of Intel cpus?  Well, you may be to wait a bit.  Due to the high demand (specifically for the "K" series chips) of the processors, e-retailers and brick and mortar stores have found there shelves "decaffed" of Intel's newest flagship.  

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-coffee-lake-shortage-cpu,35632.html

When reached out to for comment on the shortages, Intel responded: "The 8th Gen Intel Core desktop processors and systems are on sale globally. We’re actively working with our retailers to fulfill strong interest from customers on the i7-8700k SKU."  As for the shortage of non-K SKUs, Intel is looking into the matter and should have a response soon, according to the above article from "Tom's Hardware".

Enjoy the read!

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

In before people raise their pitchforks over this. 

Ryzen comes out and people complain that intel needs to step up, so they release early and people complain there is a shortage. This is months a head of release. Im not shocked nor mad.

Seems planned shortages are all the rage now, free publicity saves you a ton on advertising.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

They were rushed into the releasing of it,  doesn't surprise me they have shortages of stock. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Hmm. Great performance, supposed early release, I'm not surprised that we're seeing high sales and low supply. What irritates me more is the lack of B and H series boards. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is my personal opinion, but it seems like Intel moved up their planned release of Coffee Lake in order to get reviews out and hit the holiday seasons as well as to counter the AMD releases this year and in doing so, they did not have the chance to produce and stockpile the number of chips to support their sales.

on "release" day the i5s and the i7s were showing a 15-20+ days before even shipping. This should surprise nobody.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

3 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

on "release" day the i5s and the i7s were showing a 15-20+ days before even shipping. This should surprise nobody.

Paper Launch to get all of the reviews out before the Christmas shopping season. Though it seems the supply of 8700 (non-k) and 8400 did exist enough that people got CPUs.

But, in the retail space, the 8700k should probably sell around 45-50% of Intel's market, which is part of the reason why it's a problem. 

I heard that the shortage was actually due to it being socket 1151, they didn't have enough in stock for both KBL and CL.  :P

Pssst, yes I am being silly, we all know Intel have a secret storage facility full of 1151 sockets, the shortage is actually artificial to inflate the price. :S

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is Coppermine all over again. Though Coffelake is slightly less like vapor ware.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

noticed this when I was browsing some retailers today. Basically everything that is based on the new 6-core die is sold out with not info on availability. The i3s however are plenty, I believe it's because they are based off the kaby lake i5?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

44 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

noticed this when I was browsing some retailers today. Basically everything that is based on the new 6-core die is sold out with not info on availability. The i3s however are plenty, I believe it's because they are based off the kaby lake i5?

Officially "no", but we're pretty sure they're Kaby Lake designs. Maybe on the new process, but until someone delids one we don't know.

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Seems planned shortages are all the rage now, free publicity saves you a ton on advertising.

I highly doubt this is planned shortages. Coffee lake was probably planned for Q1 2018 but pushed months foward due to ryzen

I mean, overclocking is nice and all but the frequencies are not bad at all on the 8700nonk plus the fact that you now have 2 more cores and 4 more threads should also positively impact your performance on non-gaming situations (i.e. the 8700 nonk should still compete with the 7700k overclocked simply because it has more cores)

Odd thing is that the nonk i7 chips are really unpopular in the forums but not elsewhere: Some of the local Facebook groups I check to trade pc parts actually do a lot of business with OEM i7 nonk chips since those are a common sku for offices and businesses and such so IT guys order through their companies and resell and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Has it really launched? I thought it was more of a paper launch than a actual launch.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Guess I was lucky, I've grabbed a 8700k on monday. Out of the 12 stores I was monitoring only one had 8700k's in stock, and only on monday.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

What irritates me more is the lack of B and H series boards. 

B- and H-chipsets are usually two months later as is the case with KBL, SKL, and HSW. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

27 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I mean, overclocking is nice and all but the frequencies are not bad at all on the 8700nonk plus the fact that you now have 2 more cores and 4 more threads should also positively impact your performance on non-gaming situations (i.e. the 8700 nonk should still compete with the 7700k overclocked simply because it has more cores)

Odd thing is that the nonk i7 chips are really unpopular in the forums but not elsewhere: Some of the local Facebook groups I check to trade pc parts actually do a lot of business with OEM i7 nonk chips since those are a common sku for offices and businesses and such so IT guys order through their companies and resell and such.

the *700k CPU seems to be 45-50% of Intel's Retail sales the last few years. So, it's not really too surprising it's not super popular. Even if it is a really good buy in this generation.

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Paper Launch to get all of the reviews out before the Christmas shopping season. Though it seems the supply of 8700 (non-k) and 8400 did exist enough that people got CPUs.

But, in the retail space, the 8700k should probably sell around 45-50% of Intel's market, which is part of the reason why it's a problem. 

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Has it really launched? I thought it was more of a paper launch than a actual launch.

Not a paper launch... paper launch: "the phrase is used to denote product announcements that explicitly compare the "new product" with other actually available products, despite the fact that the newly announced product is not actually available to consumers." quoted from ars technica

Coffee lake 8700k's are available, are being sold but it appears that intel pushed the launch up and as such the number of chips is limited as of right now compared to what intel's normal launch volumes are...

so, My opinion on Intel's decision is that instead of stockpiling product for a month or more in a warehouse and not making sales available until next month they released a smaller number of processors to get them into the public's hands NOW and replenish stock as fast as production allows, this would indicate that the total number of processors available will be unchanged(compared to a later launch date (but available sooner)) however the sales will be spread out over a longer period of time.

Impatience for an expensive product because everyone can't have it NOW... a first world problem and one that tends to leave a wake of angry entitled customers.

10 minutes ago, lvh1 said:

Guess I was lucky, I've grabbed a 8700k on monday. Out of the 12 stores I was monitoring only one had 8700k's in stock, and only on monday.

Good to hear! I would like to hear your OC results and thoughts after you've had some time with it!

I have to say I'm impressed AMD has forced Intel's hand in such a way. To make the Goliath change their plan by maybe even a full quater is amazing! I'm loving this competition. Recently got a R7 1700, more than happy with my purchase. The lack of stockpiled units is to be expected, but it is really a shame for those looking to get the new gear! Ah well, happy shopping guys, hope you grab whatever processor your planing to have ASAP.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I have to say I'm impressed AMD has forced Intel's hand in such a way. To make the Goliath change their plan by maybe even a full quater is amazing! I'm loving this competition. Recently got a R7 1700, more than happy with my purchase. The lack of stockpiled units is to be expected, but it is really a shame for those looking to get the new gear! Ah well, happy shopping guys, hope you grab whatever processor your planing to have ASAP.

Odds are Intel knows what is coming with Pinnacle Ridge (Zen+ here in a few months), so they are more than likely responding to what comes next rather than Ryzen at the moment. Coffee Lake's launch window was still up in the air during the Summer, but the next revision of the PCH wasn't ready. Though with all of the supply supposedly filling itself up by the end of October, I don't get why they didn't just push the release back to the first week of November. (Plus they could cross promote with the coming Call of Duty or something.)

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

B- and H-chipsets are usually two months later as is the case with KBL, SKL, and HSW. 

Oh do they? Shitty. All the more reason not to be an early adopter. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 hours ago, tropton13 said:

snippedy snip 

its called a paper launch , send binned samples to reviewers and send the other 500~1000 you have to retailers 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Oh do they? Shitty. All the more reason not to be an early adopter. 

Early adopters usually know that there will be issues. CFL has stock issues, Ryzen had memory issues, KBL had high heat, SKL had something, FX-9 had boards explode, and Note 7 exploded too. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers