windows 10 update every fkn week. jeez so annoying.

liquidmagma
1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

But, if a person has bad browsing habits, and they go everywhere sketchy and click on everything they see from all email senders, then having an updates Windows is not likely to save their system from becoming infected. Conversely, if a person has informed browsing habits, then having Windows be recently updated is unlikely to make any difference.

This, I have relatives to this day that I had better luck locking down their browsers than having the OS on auto updates.  A correctly configured NoScript along with UBlock or similar plug-ins or applications work like wonders.

Most nastiest get in by the user allowing them.  You can have the most updated OS in the world, but, if the user has bad browsing habits, those habits will defeat those updates every time.  Actually one of the major points in security certifications is user training that teaches the user what not to click or allow to run.  Also, other points, if you are serious about security, you don't rely on updates; instead, you have security plug-ins in the browser and email, soft/hardware firewalls, host intrusion software, network intrusion software, port security, network security, and many other layers depending on how serious you want to get.

4 minutes ago, BWLServers said:

To say Windows security updates aren't important is, again, hilarious. They wouldn't release them if they weren't necessary.

Not sure where everyone gets the idea that Windows 10 pesters users to update.

Never once has 10 even given me an indication it was doing updates. They install at night, like they're intended to.

Windows 7 would nag me every single time it ran updates to restart.

Not sure why there's confusion and anger over this topic. It's like driving a car and NEVER getting an oil change because it's inconvenient.

Then, you did not change W7 update settings.  I still have W7 on one of my machines.  No nagging to speak of.

No anger.  But to say that W7 updates nag always is incorrect.  Default auto, yes did this behavior, but W7 has enough settings in its update center and action center to change such behavior.

W10 depends on version and how one configures the OS.  If Home, a person is out of luck, auto all day.  If Pro, one can dig into GPOs and regedit to control a bit more of the behavior.  If Edu/Enterprise, one can then set update branches and use servers with GPOs to give better control over updates.  Hopefully with what Microsoft showed in the Fall Update is a good sign that they may continue expanding control options on the updates.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

37 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

This, I have relatives to this day that I had better luck locking down their browsers than having the OS on auto updates.  A correctly configured NoScript along with UBlock or similar plug-ins or applications work like wonders.

Most nastiest get in by the user allowing them.  You can have the most updated OS in the world, but, if the user has bad browsing habits, those habits will defeat those updates every time.  Actually one of the major points in security certifications is user training that teaches the user what not to click or allow to run.  Also, other points, if you are serious about security, you don't rely on updates; instead, you have security plug-ins in the browser and email, soft/hardware firewalls, host intrusion software, network intrusion software, port security, network security, and many other layers depending on how serious you want to get.

Then, you did not change W7 update settings.  I still have W7 on one of my machines.  No nagging to speak of.

No anger.  But to say that W7 updates nag always is incorrect.  Default auto, yes did this behavior, but W7 has enough settings in its update center and action center to change such behavior.

W10 depends on version and how one configures the OS.  If Home, a person is out of luck, auto all day.  If Pro, one can dig into GPOs and regedit to control a bit more of the behavior.  If Edu/Enterprise, one can then set update branches and use servers with GPOs to give better control over updates.  Hopefully with what Microsoft showed in the Fall Update is a good sign that they may continue expanding control options on the updates.

Right, in this particular case I'm speaking in terms of how the OS behaves like default. Comparing apples to apples, Windows 10 is the least annoying, IMHO.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

13 hours ago, BWLServers said:

Right, in this particular case I'm speaking in terms of how the OS behaves like default. Comparing apples to apples, Windows 10 is the least annoying, IMHO.

How annoying an OS is per individual viewpoint which is subjective.

In the case of the OP, the OP considers W10 default behavior annoying.

Windows-Update-4.png

Reason I gave a post showing options the OP can take to change behavior of the updates.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU