d00m1ord

move windows to ssd

19 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

Ok ive got the ssd as my boot drive now had to reinstall windows to it ive plugged my hdd into sata 2 do i now need to restart my pc so it will show up because it isnt showing currently

It SHOULD show up, but maybe you're in IDE mode which doesn't allow hot swapping of drives (plugging in and out when it's on)

Yeah, restart the PC, double check that the SSD is the C: drive in "my computer" once you're sure of this, go in the HDD and delete anything that's "program files" or "windows" to avoid it booting onto the HDD in the future. 

All your files (desktop, documents, pictures, music, videos, downloads) will all be found in the "users" folder. 

Let me know if you need any more help! 

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Alexsolo said:

I set it as boot 1 is there something else I need to do it shows up on the my pc page

I think so don't know if it makes a difference but when I formatted the ssd it assigned it as e drive so will it change when I boot from it also I think the ssd is plugged into sata 3 on my motherboard will this make a difference

Just now, d00m1ord said:

I think so don't know if it makes a difference but when I formatted the ssd it assigned it as e drive so will it change when I boot from it also I think the ssd is plugged into sata 3 on my motherboard will this make a difference

Do you know the model of the motherboard?

Alexander Goyette

alexandergoyette@infomontreal.ca

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

3 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

msi z97 gaming 5

Plug SSD into this one, keep HDD unplugged. 

Boot into Windows

PLUG IN HDD WHEN WINDOWS IS LOADED ON SSD

Then delete from the HDD (should be drive letter E in this case since C will be the SSD)

1.PNG

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

2 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

i love this good old (like win7 days old) bat file.

although im not sure i used the exact same bat file. but when you take ownership itll open cmd which will give permission to selected files/ folders. then closes. basically uses the power of cmd.

30 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Plug SSD into this one, keep HDD unplugged. 

Boot into Windows

PLUG IN HDD WHEN WINDOWS IS LOADED ON SSD

Then delete from the HDD (should be drive letter E in this case since C will be the SSD)

Ok ive got the ssd as my boot drive now had to reinstall windows to it ive plugged my hdd into sata 2 do i now need to restart my pc so it will show up because it isnt showing currently

Posted · Best Answer
19 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

It SHOULD show up, but maybe you're in IDE mode which doesn't allow hot swapping of drives (plugging in and out when it's on)

Yeah, restart the PC, double check that the SSD is the C: drive in "my computer" once you're sure of this, go in the HDD and delete anything that's "program files" or "windows" to avoid it booting onto the HDD in the future. 

All your files (desktop, documents, pictures, music, videos, downloads) will all be found in the "users" folder. 

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

2 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

So is that anything not in the user folder also will i have to reinstall drivers and stuff because my ethernet port isnt working currently 

Just now, d00m1ord said:

So is that anything not in the user folder also will i have to reinstall drivers and stuff because my ethernet port isnt working currently 

Yeah you may have to reinstall drivers (use the CD in the motherboard box)

After which I would suggest this tool to get the most updated drivers for everything in your machine, https://sdi-tool.org/download/

And yes, anything that isn't the user folder... but I say you had a backup in there too, so just make sure you don't have any files scattered about before you go deleting everything!

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

13 hours ago, Alexsolo said:

but I say you had a backup in there too, so just make sure you don't have any files scattered about before you go deleting everything!

how will I find out if I have files I need elsewhere what should I look for??

22 hours ago, d00m1ord said:

here it is

screenshot.png

From this picture I see "Games" "My Backup" and "Users," those are the files I would keep cause it's not something that's generated by the system... everything else is either drivers, programs or the windows itself

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

3 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

From this picture I see "Games" "My Backup" and "Users," those are the files I would keep cause it's not something that's generated by the system... everything else is either drivers, programs or the windows itself

my backup is an empty file so probably not important but the other 2 do they need to be moved to my ssd also is this method so I can use the ssd for OS and hdd for storage I'm abit confused now how will this work and how do I go about doing it??