d00m1ord

move windows to ssd

19 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

Ok ive got the ssd as my boot drive now had to reinstall windows to it ive plugged my hdd into sata 2 do i now need to restart my pc so it will show up because it isnt showing currently

It SHOULD show up, but maybe you're in IDE mode which doesn't allow hot swapping of drives (plugging in and out when it's on)

Yeah, restart the PC, double check that the SSD is the C: drive in "my computer" once you're sure of this, go in the HDD and delete anything that's "program files" or "windows" to avoid it booting onto the HDD in the future. 

All your files (desktop, documents, pictures, music, videos, downloads) will all be found in the "users" folder. 

Let me know if you need any more help! 

Posted · Original PosterOP

hi guys

i recently brought an 120gb ssd so I could add it to my existing windows 10 system and move my OS from my 1tb hdd to the ssd and just use the hdd for programs my question is this is there a way to move windows from my hdd to my ssd and then remove it from the hdd and have programs link to the ssd windows

thanks in advance

Yes, I just did this. Reinstall windows onto your ssd. Just do a backup before you actually do it. Best thing to do is have windows help chat open as you do it.

CPU:AMD FX 8320e Black Edition GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb and 320gb HDD RAM: 16gb mix and match Case:  Corsair Spec-Alpha PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: Hyper T2 

Planning on upgrading to Ryzen xD

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

2 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

hi guys

i recently brought an 120gb ssd so I could add it to my existing windows 10 system and move my OS from my 1tb hdd to the ssd and just use the hdd for programs my question is this is there a way to move windows from my hdd to my ssd and then remove it from the hdd and have programs link to the ssd windows

thanks in advance

Yes but not without external tools/specialized programs.

Easiest solution would be to unplug the HDD, put the SSD in its place. Do a fresh install of windows and then plug back in the HDD

Then you can delete any windows folders from the HDD (making sure not to touch your user files)

Alexander Goyette

alexandergoyette@infomontreal.ca

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

1 minute ago, d00m1ord said:

how would I go about doing this I have installed windows onto the ssd so it is currently on the hdd and ssd where do I go from here

Find your windows disk or usb.  You will have to install it from scratch. 

you can get the media creation tool here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/software-download/windows10

you shouldn't do this though unless you feel you're comfortable enough.

3 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

how would I go about doing this I have installed windows onto the ssd so it is currently on the hdd and ssd where do I go from here

Okay so now that windows is installed on the SSD plug in both drives to the computer.

Go in the BIOS and make sure that it's set to boot onto the SSD first.

Then enter windows. Let me know when you've reached this point.

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

Just now, d00m1ord said:

yes I installed windows on the ssd already but I'm not sure where to go from here 

make sure that the boot priority of ssd is no1 and disable the hdd. this will make sure it doesnt boot off the hdd and isntead boot to ssd

Just now, Alexsolo said:

Okay so now that windows is installed on the SSD plug in both drives to the computer.

Go in the BIOS and make sure that it's set to boot onto the SSD first.

Then enter windows. Let me know when you've reached this point.

lol i was late

1 minute ago, liquidmagma said:

lol i was late

You snooze you lose ;) but at least you had the right idea in mind, that's what counts

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

Just now, d00m1ord said:

everything like programs?? 

Your files should be in the Users folder, everything else you should be safe to delete. 

Capture.PNG

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

1 minute ago, d00m1ord said:

should I do a backup before I do this

Could you share a screenshot like I did? I'll tell you what you should be safe to remove and what to keep.

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

You're not booting on the SSD, make sure its plugged in on the sata port labelled Sata 0, or Sata 1 (depending on motherboard)

Also please quote someone when replying in a thread, so I get a notification when you've replied.

3 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

here it is

screenshot.png

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Alexsolo said:

You're not booting on the SSD, make sure its plugged in on the sata port labelled Sata 0, or Sata 1 (depending on motherboard)

Also please quote someone when replying in a thread, so I get a notification when you've replied

I set it as boot 1 is there something else I need to do it shows up on the my pc page

screenshot.png

1 minute ago, Alexsolo said:

Also please quote someone when replying in a thread, so I get a notification when you've replied.

how do you identify from that pic that hes booted on the hdd? r u a hacker or really smart when it comes to windows?

Just now, d00m1ord said:

I set it as boot 1 is there something else I need to do it shows up on the my pc page

screenshot.png

When you boot (load a windows up from a hard drive) that drive will be letter C: by default.

Right now the SSD is drive E: meaning it's not the main drive. Did you save and exit in BIOS before resetting the machine?

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3

Just now, liquidmagma said:

how do you identify from that pic that hes booted on the hdd? r u a hacker or really smart when it comes to windows?

It would be C: drive had he booted on the SSD... 

Alexander Goyette

InfoMontréal

2201 Ste-Catherine Est

Montreal, H2K2J3