Upgrade From Core 2 Duo to Core 2 Quad

Hi.

In a few days im gonna upgrade my CPU from Core 2 Duo E6600 (thanks for all that years of working, now you need to have some free time :) ) to Core 2 Quad Q9400. 

I a saw on a intel website, the C2Q actually have a new instructions which C2D doesn't have.

And now i'm thinking, does i need to reinstall my system after replacing a CPU, or it will work without any problems?

I actually never changed procesor in such an old platform (i doesn't mean that LGA 775 is old as hell :D ) and im not sure is it gonna work without problems.

Im thinking that i will actually need at least do something like "fix system" via Windows 10 bootable USB.

The mobo is an Asrock G41M-VS3 R 2.0.

in theory it should work without any issues. Windows might start asking to reactivate, but other than that you should be fine.

at least in theory, but we all know how that goes in reality xD

She/Her

So it will be good if i link my windows 10 copy to Microsoft account for "backup" plan and make an Windows 10 bootable pendrive? (at least i dont want to reinstall system, because i have too much important stuff :v )

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Windows might start asking to reactivate

Not for a CPU change.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

It'll be fine, upgraded many systems to C2Q and just changing the CPU won't affect Windows.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, Kapejog said:

So it will be good if i link my windows 10 copy to Microsoft account for "backup" plan and make an Windows 10 bootable pendrive? (at least i dont want to reinstall system, because i have too much important stuff :v )

link it so it doesn't tell you to reactivate

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

link it so it doesn't tell you to reactivate

It won't. 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Just now, asand1 said:

Not for a CPU change.

it happens with the mobo but just to be sure.it wont hurt to link it

Just now, asand1 said:

Not for a CPU change.

yeah,it only can ask to reactivate after an mobo change/drive change. (i think)

I've changed CPUs six times with W10. It won't ask.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

You will be just fine. Just put it in and as long as your system supports that CPU, Windows should work absolutely fine.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, asand1 said:

I've changed CPUs six times with W10. It won't ask.

same here, swapping the CPU won't affect Windows activation.

If you didn't buy the new processor already, you should look on eBay for socket 771 processors that can be installed on socket 775 with a simple mod (a tiny piece of material you put over a couple of pins of the processor.

Look for Intel X5450 or X5460  or other processors on Socket 771

For example, here's an Intel X5450 (3 Ghz , 12 MB cache, 1333 Mhz FSB .. kinda equivalent to Intel Q9650 but with 120w TDP) for 10.5$ plus 4$ shipping, for me at least : LINK

Or for example Intel x5430 (2.66 ghz, 12 MB cache, 1333 mhz - maps out to Q9450 but has a lower TDP of only 80w so it's better)  for 8.5$ + 6$ shipping (for me, may be cheaper for you) :  LINK

Here's the mod thing that makes them show up as socket 775 (3 for 1$) : LINK

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

*snip*

While interesting and fun, this isn't for everyone. Some motherboards don't have the microcode for some 771 CPUs and while flashing your BIOS to add the microcode might be simple for some, it's not everyone that can do it.

22 hours ago, mariushm said:

If you didn't buy the new processor already, you should look on eBay for socket 771 processors that can be installed on socket 775 with a simple mod (a tiny piece of material you put over a couple of pins of the processor.

I realy dont want to again buy an Xeon. I had one mobo with Xeon, but it didn't went well, sadly :/

I ordered C2Q at Friday :P

Ok, so its working perfectly :)

Already checked it at Cinebench and some games, and the boost is very visable :P

Thanks for all help.