M.2 SSD on an ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura not detected?

I have just acquired a Western Digital Black PCIe M.2 SSD 2280, and attempted to install it into my ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura Motherboard. The BIOS is currently up to date, but does not seem to detect the M.2 SSD. Windows 10 detects the device just fine, and the windows installer even allows me to install on it. From what I can tell, the device even to some extent appears in the BIOS Boot Menu. In the full boot menu list, the Model actually appear, but when it tries to boot it, it will go back to the Asus splash screen and then either BIOS or the other copy of Windows 10 I have installed.

Not sure what to do as I can't find any M.2 or SSD settings within the BIOS.

Is this a SATA or nvme SSD?

I don't think that AM3+ is capable of booting nvme.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

5 hours ago, Terryv said:

Is this a SATA or nvme SSD?

I don't think that AM3+ is capable of booting nvme.

NVMe. I've read on other webpages that people have supposedly gotten this motherboard to boot from an nvme SSD and people who haven't. What drives me nuts is that the mobo recognizes it, yet won't allow it. All the other devices from boot menu it shows storage space of the device, except for the SSD. I bought this particular SSD without knowledge of it being able to work because I couldn't find anyone who said they had tried it yet and I was wanting something...slightly overkill?

UPDATE:

So, I got home from work a few hours ago(I work thirds) and I went to boot up my computer. Every once in a while upon boot, I get the CPU_FAN ERROR on boot. Usually a simple reset makes it go away. Always assumed it had something to do with the liquid cooling unit from Corsair. Anyways, upon reboot, it actually loaded into the SSD and did the first run of WIN 10.  After updating and restarting, I got an error message from the SSD that windows OS couldn't boot. Then I shrugged and restarted and it worked.

Any idea why this only detects or properly runs equipment SOME of the time? It's very confusing. The SSD is running from boot now, but I don't understand how or why it's like a 50/50 on boot