VA response times

recently spotted a VA monitor advertising 1ms grey-to-grey response time, which is as little as a TN pannel. How realistic is that in comparison with real-life experiences?

5 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

recently spotted a VA monitor advertising 1ms grey-to-grey response time, which is as little as a TN pannel. How realistic is that in comparison with real-life experiences?

I don't think I've ever seen a VA panel with a real 1 ms response time, usually they use backlight strobing to reduce motion blur and say it provides an experience equivalent to having a 1 ms response time, even though the panel doesn't actually go that fast.

Just now, Glenwing said:

I don't think I've ever seen a VA panel with a real 1 ms response time, usually they use backlight strobing to reduce motion blur and say it is equivalent to having a 1 ms response time, even though the panel doesn't actually go that fast.

Would it still be acceptable as a gaming monitor? Or will i feel obvious flaws? I don't think having 5ms would be too bad but if it's 60ms irl it might feel a bit lame

I'm not a pro when it comes to monitors, but IIRC it's better in most cases to go in the order of:- VA/TN/IPS/OLED from worst to best for picture quality, but not sure about response time, although I would go IPS preferably or TN  if you have to.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

I'm not a pro when it comes to monitors, but IIRC it's better in most cases to go in the order of:- VA/TN/IPS/OLED from worst to best for picture quality, but not sure about response time, although I would go IPS preferably or TN  if you have to.

I'm a bit on a budget and VA would be the only flaw of a curved 24' 1080p 144Hz screen I found. Could go for TN w/out the curve for the same price, hence my question over how bad can it be. IPS would be twice the price.

In modern monitors the response time difference is minimal. Even "bad" monitors are okay for gaming and won't hurt your experience.

5 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

Would it still be acceptable as a gaming monitor? Or will i feel obvious flaws? I don't think having 5ms would be too bad but if it's 60ms irl it might feel a bit lame

1 minute ago, CbrosTheDude said:

I'm a bit on a budget and VA would be the only flaw of a curved 24' 1080p 144Hz screen I found. Could go for TN w/out the curve for the same price, hence my question over how bad can it be. IPS would be twice the price.

It's probably fine but I haven't tried it myself.

Just now, CbrosTheDude said:

Yeah, you're paying for the curved screen mostly... do you really need a curve on a 24" monitor? I would personally just look for a normal 24" 144Hz in IPS/TN, but it's your money of course. The VA panel might be fine, and of only using for gaming it might be fine. Are there any stores near you where you can have a look in person to see what it's like? you won't be able to see the response time of course, but I'd be more concerned about picture quality personally, I think the worst I have seen is around 5ms so doubt it would be really bad at all fpr that, but am concerned it would look like crap.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

9 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

If it's the Samsung cf, other than the noticable curve there is somewhat more ghosting but you should be fine.

va actually does better in some parts than ips

example, black is more black in a va panel and less backlight leaking

ips has some backlight leaking where a va panel doesnt

however ips is still the better panel, i think they put VA panels in curved monitors because if u dont the backlight leak is maybe too noticeable? idk ( an ips with perfect backlighting ect is way more expensive to make :v )

(◑‿◐)

4 hours ago, Aytex said:

If it's the Samsung cf, other than the noticable curve there is somewhat more ghosting but you should be fine.

I don't know who makes the pannel itself, what is ghosting?

It seems the display is called R1800 and indeed made by samsung who themselves state 21ms response time...

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, you're paying for the curved screen mostly... do you really need a curve on a 24" monitor? I would personally just look for a normal 24" 144Hz in IPS/TN, but it's your money of course. The VA panel might be fine, and of only using for gaming it might be fine. Are there any stores near you where you can have a look in person to see what it's like? you won't be able to see the response time of course, but I'd be more concerned about picture quality personally, I think the worst I have seen is around 5ms so doubt it would be really bad at all fpr that, but am concerned it would look like crap.

IPS 144Hz does not exist on my budget. TN 144Hz screens are about the same price but ugly on the exterior where this one looks nice on pictures at least. Can't go and see it, even struggled to find it online for sale in my region.

13 minutes ago, CbrosTheDude said:

IPS 144Hz does not exist on my budget. TN 144Hz screens are about the same price but ugly on the exterior where this one looks nice on pictures at least. Can't go and see it, even struggled to find it online for sale in my region.

Ahh I see. Unfortunately that can be a problem if you favour form over function, ie it's ugly. I would go with the function aspect if you're on a tight budget, and then find a way of making it less "ugly", for instance if it's the stand, then if possible use a wall mount instead. Try to be creative if it doesn't suit your sense of style, find something to cover it up, like decals or something. Anyway, hope that might have given you some ideas... I go with function every time when on a budget, and then try to find an alternative that's not so ugly if I can, and if not stick with ugly... "it might be ugly, but damn it's great for gaming!" type thing.

Good luck :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 10/10/2017 at 1:14 PM, paddy-stone said:

VA has better contrast than TN and IPS, doesn't have IPS glow, has better off-angle performance than TN (less color shift, gamma shift, inversion), and like the other LCD tech doesn't have some of the drawbacks of OLED with respect to image retention and brightness inconsistencies depending on how much of what is being displayed is bright (near white).

Some of those issues are not as prevalent in some displays. It depends on the specific products. And VA can have image quality issues like black crush and problems with uniformity in the form of large veritcal banding. Actually, for response time, it really depends on the display as well.

But overall TN is usually considered the worst for a static image, though for some dark images compared to an average IPS display, talking hypotheticals, maybe it would be better there. Depends what you value.

The main problem from a gaming point of view would be VA's relatively slow pixel response times. Some displays may get around this with some intelligent overdrive and strobing, or at least mitigate it with some good overdrive.

By the way, manufacturer-listed response time figures aside, it's possible to get a faster response with more overdrive and get horrendous inverse ghosting, so lower is not always better even if figures were comparable and apples-to-apples (and also if figures were given across a range of transitions and not just one gray-to-gray test).

Which display are you even looking at, the supposed VA with 1 ms response time?

For reference, check the response time measurements for a fast gaming TN vs. some different gaming-oriented VA displays:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg258q.htm#overdrive (TN)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_z271.htm#overdrive (VA)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_agon_ag352ucg.htm#overdrive (VA)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_349x7fjew.htm#response_time (VA)

---

edit: Because it wasn't clear to all, the last few lines were to the OP. There's nobody else looking to buy a monitor here. The first paragraphs are a response to a quoted assertion that is counter to the conventional wisdom and the way most people see things.