Likelihood of Memory Controller on CPU Failing

Hello all,

I recently switched over from an ASUS Z170-A motherboard and i5 6600k CPU to the ASUS X99-E and i7 6800k CPU. After about 8 hours, my computer failed and any attempts to reinstall Windows was met with BSODs (I've posted about this already and would like to thank everyone that tried to help). I have switched out for another X99-E motherboard, borrowed my friend's Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 RAM, and I was still getting BSODs and thousands of errors in Memtest (All in test 5). At first I didn't believe that it was the CPU acting up but after thinking for a bit, I remembered that memory controllers were now on the CPUs themselves. I have already gotten a return from Amazon and another 6800k is on its way. 

Because of all the issues that this has caused me this week, I was wondering how likely that would arrive with faulty controllers or how likely they would develop this issue later on in their lives.

On 10/10/2017 at 4:48 PM, ArtoriaPendragon said:

Hello all,

I recently switched over from an ASUS Z170-A motherboard and i5 6600k CPU to the ASUS X99-E and i7 6800k CPU. After about 8 hours, my computer failed and any attempts to reinstall Windows was met with BSODs (I've posted about this already and would like to thank everyone that tried to help). I have switched out for another X99-E motherboard, borrowed my friend's Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 RAM, and I was still getting BSODs and thousands of errors in Memtest (All in test 5). At first I didn't believe that it was the CPU acting up but after thinking for a bit, I remembered that memory controllers were now on the CPUs themselves. I have already gotten a return from Amazon and another 6800k is on its way. 

Because of all the issues that this has caused me this week, I was wondering how likely that would arrive with faulty controllers or how likely they would develop this issue later on in their lives.

On 10/10/2017 at 4:52 PM, firelighter487 said:

i've never experienced it. ever. and i have a lot of computers.

Ive never experienced it too 0_0

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

Ive never experienced it too 0_0

Which is why I'm wondering how often it happens. It seems like the CPU would be the last thing to actually be faulty when it comes to memory issues.

CPU OC + XMP?

If yes, try everything on stock clocks then CPU OC + Stock RAM or CPU Stock + RAM XMP.

My Patriot Viper DDR3 kit also throws a lot of errors in Test5 when I use XMP.

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

CPU OC + XMP?

If yes, try everything on stock clocks then CPU OC + Stock RAM or CPU Stock + RAM XMP.

My Patriot Viper DDR3 kit also throws a lot of errors in Test5 when I use XMP.

It was OC'd but I went back to stock settings when the BSODs started happening. Same with the RAM, I was running at stock the whole time. Still had the issues so I have another 6800k arriving today.