NZXT Kraken G10 - where to buy

LinusTech

I was interested in this at first, then realized that the VRAMs are no longer cooled (and can get quite hot)

Hopefully the next G10 kit will provide cooling for those parts too.

"Donny you're out of your element!"

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

My r9 290 is ready for this...............

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I was interested in this at first, then realized that the VRAMs are no longer cooled (and can get quite hot)

I think there is a fan that comes with it that blows air on it.

Steam and origins ID: Erebus305

There are little VRM heatsinks that you can buy but they need to be sort of "glued" on with some kind of thermal epoxy. I've watched some video where a guy put vrm heatsinks on with his R9 290x and his vrm temps dropped way down

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

• 1 month later...

If anyone could let me know, preferably Slick or anyone else who's used this before:

I've heard rumors that the VRAM runs really warm, even with the fan blowing directly on them. I was considering picking up some little copper heatsinks to stick on there, and was hoping you could recommend some? I want something that hopefully comes with it's own adhesive, but is removable (in the event I want to put the stock cooler back on and sell my card later) and I suppose it needs to be short enough to sit beneath the kraken as well. Any input is helpful!

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about getting a custom water loop for my evga gtx 770 classified. I could not find a water block for it. Evga makes one ,but i cant find it in stock. Would the Kraken G10 work with my card and do y'all think that a h50 would be able to handle cooling it better then the acx air cooler that is already on the card? Any help would be awesome.(as well as suggestions to still do the custom loop if there is a water block for the card that i have not found.

If anyone could let me know, preferably Slick or anyone else who's used this before:

I've heard rumors that the VRAM runs really warm, even with the fan blowing directly on them. I was considering picking up some little copper heatsinks to stick on there, and was hoping you could recommend some? I want something that hopefully comes with it's own adhesive, but is removable (in the event I want to put the stock cooler back on and sell my card later) and I suppose it needs to be short enough to sit beneath the kraken as well. Any input is helpful!

With H55, I have 13mm between pcb and the bracket. so anything shorter than 11mm should be fine. considering, that vrams are about 1mm thick..

Can't really recommend anything as I only used ones, that came with aftermarket coolers I had with older cards. There are a bunch of them on various shops and i don't think there's much of a difference between them when you're limited by the height

I was thinking about getting a custom water loop for my evga gtx 770 classified. I could not find a water block for it. Evga makes one ,but i cant find it in stock. Would the Kraken G10 work with my card and do y'all think that a h50 would be able to handle cooling it better then the acx air cooler that is already on the card? Any help would be awesome.(as well as suggestions to still do the custom loop if there is a water block for the card that i have not found.

Got an EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB on ebay with a broken cooler so i don't know its stock temps.

With H55 and noctua NFS12A + low noise adaptor  It idles at 25°C and while playing Arkham asylum (at highest settings on fullHD) for over 4 hours, it maxed at  55°C and avaraged at 43°C. That max temp was also due to my fan speed dial being on low too (maybe an eqivalent to ultra low noise adaptor).

• 1 month later...

Installed this in my backup rig tonight, replaced the cooler on a reference 290. It works very well, temps are 20C lower under load using an old Corsair H55 I had laying around. After 4 hours of Heaven loops VRM temps are sitting at 75C w/ ambient of 23C, with just the fan blowing on them. Since they can easily handle 100C+ I'm not going to worry about them.

However, it was a big pain in the ass to install, that pump mounting system needs to be simplified.

Are you threatening me?!

• 5 months later...

Installed this in my backup rig tonight, replaced the cooler on a reference 290. It works very well, temps are 20C lower under load using an old Corsair H55 I had laying around. After 4 hours of Heaven loops VRM temps are sitting at 75C w/ ambient of 23C, with just the fan blowing on them. Since they can easily handle 100C+ I'm not going to worry about them.

However, it was a big pain in the ass to install, that pump mounting system needs to be simplified.

I know this is old. But did you put anything on the VRM or did you leave them blank? I was thinking about switching to the Kraken G10 and the only worry I have is the VRM temps without a proper heatsink....and you can't get anything nice here in Germany. Only something to glue on and I don't want that.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

I know this is old. But did you put anything on the VRM or did you leave them blank? I was thinking about switching to the Kraken G10 and the only worry I have is the VRM temps without a proper heatsink....and you can't get anything nice here in Germany. Only something to glue on and I don't want that.

I'm also German and a few months ago I was also searching and found this:

http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Zalman-VGA-Ram-Heatsinks-ZM-RHS1::1938.html

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ZM-RHS1

CPU: Ryzen 3700X VGA: RX 5700 8G RAM: 32GB 3200MT/s DDR4 Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro

Storage: 2x1TB Crucial P2, 1TB Crucial MX500, 36TB NAS Cooling: Custom Loop 360mm & 280mm

PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

...I know these solutions. I had an Accelero Xtreme III on a 7950 and I SHOULD have applied those. But they never come off.....or if they do they might break the ram chips/VRMs.

I am looking more for something like this:

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=13&id=108

It is screwed on, therefore can be taken off again very easily.

Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Hey @NZXT-Eric, will this work with my XFX Double Dissipation 7950? It's the dual-DVI model, which apparently means that it is non-reference. I'm not sure if I'll need a shim to use an X31 with it or not.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Overall a very nice product, cheap as hell and makes it a bit more interresting when getting into water cooling. I still haven't gotten about that, but sure its a topic for the future.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

Hey @NZXT-Eric, will this work with my XFX Double Dissipation 7950? It's the dual-DVI model, which apparently means that it is non-reference. I'm not sure if I'll need a shim to use an X31 with it or not.

Ask in the OCN G10 Owner's Club.  We have people who use it on all different types of cards. The shim comes into play when you are using a mid plate, or something is obstructing the contact that should be made between the copper and the GPU's die. 

IMG0035017_1.jpg

Just by looking at the PCB, it is hard to tell if you will need a shim or not.  That silver thing surrounding the die does look slightly elevated, but because of the angle of the picture, its hard to tell by how much.  It is possible that you will need a shim, but I can't say for certain.  If you do need a shim, it will be a very thin one, and luckily they are inexpensive. Make sure you have your own thermal paste, because it will have to be applied to both sides of the shim.  Pick up a 20mmx20mmx.5mm Copper Shim for $2.50.  I also recommend buying a VGA to PWM Fan Adapter so that you can connect the 92mm fan to the GPU, and control it through MSI afterburner, instead of taking up a valuable motherboard fan header.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Ask in the OCN G10 Owner's Club.  We have people who use it on all different types of cards. The shim comes into play when you are using a mid plate, or something is obstructing the contact that should be made between the copper and the GPU's die. 

IMG0035017_1.jpg

Just by looking at the PCB, it is hard to tell if you will need a shim or not.  That silver thing surrounding the die does look slightly elevated, but because of the angle of the picture, its hard to tell by how much.  It is possible that you will need a shim, but I can't say for certain.  If you do need a shim, it will be a very thin one, and luckily they are inexpensive. Make sure you have your own thermal paste, because it will have to be applied to both sides of the shim.  Pick up a 20mmx20mmx.5mm Copper Shim for $2.50.  I also recommend buying a VGA to PWM Fan Adapter so that you can connect the 92mm fan to the GPU, and control it through MSI afterburner, instead of taking up a valuable motherboard fan header.

Pic is broken for me. And that PWM deal... OH MY GOD. IT'S PERFECT. I saw a video on YouTube with this card, and the guy didn't seem to need a shim for a Water 2.0 (if that even makes a difference). Temps were a lot better than mine too.

EDIT: But if the GTX 960 is as fast (or faster) than my 7950, and is pretty cheap (like $200-$230), then my 7950 gets the boot.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Pic is broken for me. And that PWM deal... OH MY GOD. IT'S PERFECT. I saw a video on YouTube with this card, and the guy didn't seem to need a shim for a Water 2.0 (if that even makes a difference). Temps were a lot better than mine too.

EDIT: But if the GTX 960 is as fast (or faster) than my 7950, and is pretty cheap (like $200-$230), then my 7950 gets the boot.

Wait for the 960 or even the new 300 series.

Back to the G10...the AIO used doesn't make a difference, it comes down to the card and the design around the GPU Die.  If you want to see the picture, just type XFX Double Dissipation 7950 PCB into Google.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Wait for the 960 or even the new 300 series.

Back to the G10...the AIO used doesn't make a difference, it comes down to the card and the design around the GPU Die.  If you want to see the picture, just type XFX Double Dissipation 7950 PCB into Google.

Well, I have one to look at anyways. :P

And I really do think I'm gonna stick it out for the 960. I still have to get a TV first. And that's gonna take forever to get.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Well, I have one to look at anyways. :P

And I really do think I'm gonna stick it out for the 960. I still have to get a TV first. And that's gonna take forever to get.

Chances are, with a 960 the temperatures will be so good you don't need a G10.  That being said.. there are multiple people in the G10 Owner's Club who have G10s on the 970s and 980s doing 1500Mhz and not breaking 50C....  Incredible how much performance $100 gets you.  I absolutely love my G10 on my 780, and always recommend it when the situation calls for it.  Its an amazing product.  I also love how it is transferable.  You can move from one card to another with the G10, unlike the HG10, it is card specific.  The VRMs are also not an issue.  They just aren't.  I have so much evidence to show that they are not a problem.  The only time VRMs are called into question is when a dangerous program is being used like Furmark or Kombustor, which is a card killer.

Chances are, with a 960 the temperatures will be so good you don't need a G10.  That being said.. there are multiple people in the G10 Owner's Club who have G10s on the 970s and 980s doing 1500Mhz and not breaking 50C....  Incredible how much performance $100 gets you.  I absolutely love my G10 on my 780, and always recommend it when the situation calls for it.  Its an amazing product.  I also love how it is transferable.  You can move from one card to another with the G10, unlike the HG10, it is card specific.  The VRMs are also not an issue.  They just aren't.  I have so much evidence to show that they are not a problem.  The only time VRMs are called into question is when a dangerous program is being used like Furmark or Kombustor, which is a card killer.

Psh, if I were able to get a 960, I wouldn't even bother getting it. Even if I were only able to get a reference one, I would take it and run with it. I'm sure my 480 would like not having hot air blasting on it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler