Aneesh2503

ASUS laptop running HOT AF!

Posted · Original PosterOP

So recently, my laptop which is ASUS R510JX is running HOT like hell and having thermal throttling issues just while surfing web. When I checked the thermal readings, it was something like this;

Core #0: 98 °C (208 °F)

Core #1: 94 °C (201 °F)

Core #2: 95 °C (203 °F)

Core #3: 96 °C (204 °F)

(used CPUID HWMonitor v1.31.0)

I'm not able to watch x264, x265 videos properly.

On visiting ASUS's service centre, they're telling me to replace the whole motherboard! *WTH*.

The one problem I'm noticing is the fan's running a lot slower even during heavy loads. I tried searching in BIOS to manually change the fan speeds. But there's no such option there unfortunately! (BIOS version: X550JX 206 Aptio service utility). I even tried third party softwares like SpeedFan, but no luck there too.

Help!

2 minutes ago, Aneesh2503 said:

So recently, my laptop which is ASUS R510JX is running HOT like hell and having thermal throttling issues just while surfing web. When I checked the thermal readings, it was something like this;

Core #0: 98 °C (208 °F)

Core #1: 94 °C (201 °F)

Core #2: 95 °C (203 °F)

Core #3: 96 °C (204 °F)

(used CPUID HWMonitor v1.31.0)

I'm not able to watch x264, x265 videos properly.

On visiting ASUS's service centre, they're telling me to replace the whole motherboard! *WTH*.

The one problem I'm noticing is the fan's running a lot slower even during heavy loads. I tried searching in BIOS to manually change the fan speeds. But there's no such option there unfortunately! (BIOS version: X550JX 206 Aptio service utility). I even tried third party softwares like SpeedFan, but no luck there too.

Help!

If you're feeling brave you can open the case, clean everything out (dust, hair etc.) and pull the heat sink to reapply the thermal paste.

1. Use something like NotebookFanSpeedControl  instead of SpeedFan.
  2. Pull the heatsink and replace the thermal paste
  3. Replace the fan. If the machine is 4+ years old there's a chance this is causing your problem.

If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer'

Quick Links: Recommended PC Builds | PSU Tier List | Mouse Sensors List | SATA 3 SSD Tier List | Keyboard Switches | 2nd Hand GPU Guide | Why Ryzen? (hella outdated) | Ryzen Memory Guide

Mouse enthusiast. eGPU guy. Resident EliteBook fetishist.  My specs and shit down below.

Spoiler

Apollo: i5 4670K @ 4.6Ghz, Corsair H100i, MSI Z87I, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX3, Corsair 250D, 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, SeaSonic 520W PSU. Planned upgrades: 16GB RAM, 480/512GB SSD, new HDD

Sputnik: HP EliteBook 2570p, i5-3360M, 16GB DDR3, 256GB 840 EVO - Running Win10/Sierra dual-boot.  Future upgrades: i7-quad

Comet (home server): Atom D2500, 4GB 1066Mhz RAM, 2 x 320GB HDDs, 350W PSU, HAF-Stacker ITX, dual GbE. Cost me $80. back from the dead (mobo failure) bois

Spoiler

Main peripherals

- Corsair Strafe RGB MX Reds

- SteelSeries Siberia 650

- SteelSeries QcK+ CS:GO Camo 

- SteelSeries QcK+ Na'Vi Splash (Secondary pad, used for second rig)

- SteelSeries Rival 700

- SteelSeries Rival 300 (Secondary mouse, used for second rig)

NO ONE SLEEPS IN TOKYO, ALL RIGHT CROSSING THE LINE, NO ONE QUIT THE RADIO, TOKYO IS ON FIRE! 

Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

If you're feeling brave you can open the case, clean everything out (dust, hair etc.) and pull the heat sink to reapply the thermal paste.

They did that already in the service centre where I took it. I'm looking for ways to somehow control the fan speeds. Coz I think that may solve the problem.

Looking it up it doesn't seem to be that old of a model... is it still under warranty? how long do they want it to replace the mobo? 

i5 6600k i7 7700k @ 4.8 GHz | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Asus Z170-A | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB ddr4-3000 | Asus gtx 1070 dual OC 2050 MHz | Samsung 950 pro nvme | EVGA Supernova B2 850W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | cheap ram | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | XFX Radeon HD 6850 | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W