8700k 16 PCIe lanes???

Hey peeps, wondering if you guys can help me out...

So I was planning on a new build:

-i7 8700k

-Asus Maximus Hero X Z370

-Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVMe 

Upgrading from an i7 3930k, already have a 1070 Strix GPU. 

Researching the 8700k, I discover that it only has 16 PCIe lanes. Would having my GPU and an NVMe m.2 (utilises PCIe x4) cause any problems?

If not/so could you explain how and why? Not completely in the know regarding PCIe lanes

Thanks in advance!!!

-Grant

NZXT Phantom 410 - ASUS P9X79  -  i7 3930k 4.5ghz - Water-cooled GTX 680 OC - 32Gb Kingston Genesis 1866MHz ram - Samsung 850 Pro SSD 250gb x2

WD Black 2TB - Corsair TX850 - Creative SB X-fi

Corsair H100i - NZXT Kraken G10 - LTT Noctua NF F12's Everywhere!

2 minutes ago, GhostOfJericho said:

Hey peeps, wondering if you guys can help me out...

So I was planning on a new build:

-i7 8700k

-Asus Maximus Hero X Z370

-Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVMe 

Upgrading from an i7 3930k, already have a 1070 Strix GPU. 

Researching the 8700k, I discover that it only has 16 PCIe lanes. Would having my GPU and an NVMe m.2 (utilises PCIe x4) cause any problems?

If not/so could you explain how and why? Not completely in the know regarding PCIe lanes

Thanks in advance!!!

-Grant

I am not for sure on this, but I reckon the Nvme SSD's lanes are connected to the chip set, not the CPU.

It shouldn't, and depending on if the m.2 is connected to the PCH or CPU directly will change if it pulls any lanes from the Graphics card.  This will vary from motherboard to motherboard.

1 minute ago, Sage_Masters said:

More PCIe Lanes on core i9s 

I don't think an i-9 is in his price range.

1 minute ago, Bobsanderz said:

I am not for sure on this, but I reckon the Nvme SSD's lanes are connected to the chip set, not the CPU.

Yeah I see that the Z370 chipset has 24 PCIe lanes, just don't know if ill be handicapping myself in anyway with this planned setup

NZXT Phantom 410 - ASUS P9X79  -  i7 3930k 4.5ghz - Water-cooled GTX 680 OC - 32Gb Kingston Genesis 1866MHz ram - Samsung 850 Pro SSD 250gb x2

Just now, Bobsanderz said:

I don't think an i-9 is in his price range.

I'm definitely more of a gamer than a content creator, basic web design and video editing so not looking into that kind of platform. Thanks for replying btw

1 minute ago, GhostOfJericho said:

I'm definitely more of a gamer than a content creator, basic web design and video editing so not looking into that kind of platform. Thanks for replying btw

Np, glad to help.

Your chipset also provides some PCI lanes, check the manual of the motherboard you're thinking about and it should have a section on what ports use CPU PCI lanes and which uses chipset (often abbreviated as PCH) lanes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you're worried about PCIe lanes then have a look at a 6800K and an old X99 board. You can get 28 PCIe lanes for about 300 bucks, less if you go used.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Thanks guys appreciating the help. Definitely more interested in the 8700k Z370 platform. Just this one aspect concerns me but if your right in that the NVMe m.2 uses up chipset PCIe lanes and not the CPU's then this will be perfect.

1 hour ago, GhostOfJericho said:

Thanks guys appreciating the help. Definitely more interested in the 8700k Z370 platform. Just this one aspect concerns me but if your right in that the NVMe m.2 uses up chipset PCIe lanes and not the CPU's then this will be perfect.

would bet a burger on it lol but just double check

Just now, Sage_Masters said:

would bet a burger on it lol but just double check

Haha! Yeah trying to figure that out now, it's a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe m.2 I'm looking into

It will 100% not be an issue.  Your m.2 drive will use the chipset lanes and will not be handicapped at all.  Your GPU can run at 16x.  Even if for some reason it couldn't (which it can) 8x is more than enough for your GPU.  There is no way a 1070 can saturate 8x PCIe 3.0.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Just now, TahoeDust said:

It will 100% not be an issue.  Your m.2 drive will use the chipset lanes and will not be handicapped at all.  Your GPU can run at 16x.  Even if for some reason it couldn't (which is can) 8x is more than enough.  There is no way a 1070 can saturate 8x PCIe 3.0.

This is perfect thank you! Can continue planning the build now! Cheers fellas 

• 1 month later...