Wanting to install linux on a partioned ssd to dual boot with win10?

Hello LTT,

Hope all is good! Last time I asked people on which distros to try on my vmware and I have been testing lots. I ended up liking fedora and Ubuntu/Debian. I even ran Debian under a chroot on my arm based android phone. The whole idea was to get myself familiarized with hpc computing and CAE while job searching. As well to play around with Linux tools, programming and try to run games and stuff on it. 

Now during my time I ran into comparability issues with vmware and stuff and I want to run native Linux. My spec are in my sig and I wanted to partition my 500gb ssd (maybe 256) for linux. My Windows 10 is on my other ssd. I wanna dual boot without touching my Windows 10 or even its bootloader. I don't mind accessing bios to switch boot ssd to get to Linux. So how can I do that ? Also which Linux has the most compatibility of my system? Lucky for me the software are all distro agnostic, so that's good.

Cheers 

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

4 hours ago, EternalSeeker said:

Also which Linux has the most compatibility of my system

Ubuntu and debian come with pretty nice drivers and support already, as they're very popular distros. Fedora would also be pretty good, but the stuff there is more experimental, so if you want a stable system, find yourself a debian derivative.

Now, installing linux without touching the bootloader, I'm not too sure what to do.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Now, installing linux without touching the bootloader, I'm not too sure what to do.

I don't think the windows bootloader would even allow you to select a Linux based OS (Could be wrong) and all I can say is that Grub is a evil little bootloader if you even change a drive or OS. OP, have you tried out the KDE Plasma desktop or Linux Mint desktop? Just throwing out more options to make you debate even longer in regards to an environment muhahah :P

4 hours ago, tjcater said:

I don't think the windows bootloader would even allow you to select a Linux based OS (Could be wrong) and all I can say is that Grub is a evil little bootloader if you even change a drive or OS. OP, have you tried out the KDE Plasma desktop or Linux Mint desktop? Just throwing out more options to make you debate even longer in regards to an environment muhahah :P

Nah, I've used windows bootloader to start up linux before.

@OP windows bootloader will work.

You could just install linux normally, let it override the windows bootloader, then follow steps on how to get the windows bootloader back.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, bob51zhang said:

You could just install linux normally, let it override the windows bootloader, then follow steps on how to get the windows bootloader back.

May have to try using the Windows bootloader, as every time grub gets on one of my systems, it seems to find a way to mess itself up without fail...

1 hour ago, bob51zhang said:

Ubuntu and debian come with pretty nice drivers and support already, as they're very popular distros. Fedora would also be pretty good, but the stuff there is more experimental, so if you want a stable system, find yourself a debian derivative.

1 hour ago, tjcater said:

1 hour ago, bob51zhang said:

1 hour ago, tjcater said:

May have to try using the Windows bootloader, as every time grub gets on one of my systems, it seems to find a way to mess itself up without fail...

Yeah last time i tried linux was ubuntu 10 and grub messed my MBR so many times. My windows 10 was the free upgrade since i was on Windows 8.1, don't want to mess that up!!!

Also yes i tried KDE! For me KDE>Gnome>LXDE. My debian chroot is using LXDE, fedora on vm was gnome because KDE doesn't like vmware. 

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

I dual boot windows 10 amd Ubuntu 16. 

boot windows installer and split your drive in half an install windows on the first half. Next get Ubuntu installer and install on the second. It will detect the windows bootloader and add it to the boot menu.

it defaults to Ubuntu and you can use the arrow keys to select which one you want. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

15 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I dual boot windows 10 amd Ubuntu 16. 

boot windows installer and split your drive in half an install windows on the first half. Next get Ubuntu installer and install on the second. It will detect the windows bootloader and add it to the boot menu.

it defaults to Ubuntu and you can use the arrow keys to select which one you want. 

What If I partion a drive that doesn't have windows? My windows boot drive is small only 256gb...

1 minute ago, EternalSeeker said:

What If I partion a drive that doesn't have windows? My windows boot drive is small only 256gb...

umm not sure about that. I split my 256 in half.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late here but you can easily use grub (GRand Unified Bootloader) to chose between linux and windows at boot. I'm pretty sure that if you install linux after windows, grub will automatically find your windows install and add it to the list for you to chose from at boot.

On 10/9/2017 at 5:24 PM, vorticalbox said:

umm not sure about that. I split my 256 in half.

Wish I could do that, windows 10 along with all its update and visual studios already takes up 85% of my 256 SSD!

On 10/18/2017 at 9:15 PM, dankxylese said:

A little late here but you can easily use grub (GRand Unified Bootloader) to chose between linux and windows at boot. I'm pretty sure that if you install linux after windows, grub will automatically find your windows install and add it to the list for you to chose from at boot.

Not late at all!!. So If i partition my second 500 GB SDD for say ubuntu (maybe 256 GBish) and set the boot order to that, Grub will still find W10? Say if one day I choose to, change boot order back to windows drive then MBR would boot W10 and if i do delete ubuntu it won't damage MBR? 

• 2 weeks later...

Guys so anyone have experience running linux from a different hdd/ssd than windows 10? 

Also are all major distros compatible with non-free drivers for my mobo and gpu? 

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:14 AM, EternalSeeker said:

Guys so anyone have experience running linux from a different hdd/ssd than windows 10? 

Also are all major distros compatible with non-free drivers for my mobo and gpu? 

you can tell the ubuntu install where to install the hoot loader, so the set up should be no different other than putting grub on the first drive 

you may need to add windows ti the grub menu manually. 

or you could disconnect your windows drive, install linux on the other drive. When linux is up and running, reconnect the windows drive. 

if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)

setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);

• 2 weeks later...

Like @vorticalbox and @Filthyscum say.

You said you have 2 ssd's, one with Windows and another you wish to partition and install Linux on.

Just install whatever distro you chose and make sure you select the second ssd in the proces (or take out the Windows one to be sure).

If your distro has an installer, it will ask if you want to install a bootloader (most of the times grub) and on which drive, again make sure to chose the second one. (Else you have to manually install a bootloader).

In your bios set the Linux drive the be the first boot drive and your Windows drive to be the second one.

When you boot your pc, it will auto boot the linux drive defaulting to boot Linux, and either Windows will show as another option or you will have to add it to your bootloader after linux has booted (grub has an updatecommand that should autodetect your windows install, in ubuntu it's update-grub iirc).

You windows install won't be touched, and when you take out your Linux ssd, your pc will just boot straight into windows.

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)