What Windows version should I install?

djdelarosa25

My friend recently lent me his laptop as he wants me to clean install a brand new OS on it. It's pretty fucked up, there are cracks in the display and the thing doesn't even boot up anymore without going to Startup Repair.

Windows only, guys. Most probably with the least being Windows 7, up until Windows 10. Which would be the best OS to install?

Just now, djdelarosa25 said:

My friend recently lent me his laptop as he wants me to clean install a brand new OS on it. It's pretty fucked up, there are cracks in the display and the thing doesn't even boot up anymore without going to Startup Repair.

Windows only, guys. Most probably with the least being Windows 7, up until Windows 10. Which would be the best OS to install?

Which ever version the COA on the bottom of the machine is for?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I'd go for either Win 7 or Win 8.1.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Which ever version the COA on the bottom of the machine is for?

I think he used to run a pirated OS on it. That's what he told me. He said he paid a friend to make the thing "genuine" but in the end, the trial expired, and he ended up losing $15 bucks lol.

Is the original license key still embedded in the motherboard?

6 minutes ago, djdelarosa25 said:

I think he used to run a pirated OS on it. That's what he told me. He said he paid a friend to make the thing "genuine" but in the end, the trial expired, and he ended up losing $15 bucks lol.

Is the original license key still embedded in the motherboard?

If it came with Windows 8 and above, it should be "embedded" into the BIOS. If not, there should be a Certificate of Authenticity on the bottom, battery compartment, or battery of the laptop.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If it came with Windows 8 and above, it should be "embedded" into the BIOS. If not, there should be a Certificate of Authenticity on the bottom, battery compartment, or battery of the laptop.

Does the CoA contain the key? Sorry for the stupid question

Specs of the laptop, otherwise we're just guessing

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Does the CoA contain the key? Sorry for the stupid question

Yep, it contains the product key necessary to activate Windows. So for example, if the COA says "Windows 7 Home Premium", you'll have to install Windows 7 Home Premium in order to have a genuine version of Windows using the key. You can download Windows 7 directly from Microsoft or torrent it (as long as it's not pre-activated or cracked).

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Specs of the laptop, otherwise we're just guessing

Some first to second gen i3, 2 GB of RAM, that sort of stuff. I didn't really take note, as the damn thing won't even boot into Windows

Win7 32 bit version, anything else is going to just slow things down.

This assumes the drive isn't failing...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Some first to second gen i3, 2 GB of RAM, that sort of stuff. I didn't really take note, as the damn thing won't even boot into Windows

Sounds like Windows 7 unless it was some special order. Think they started shipping Windows 8 as standard starting with Ivy Bridge. Could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Win7 32 bit version, anything else is going to just slow things down.

This assumes the drive isn't failing...

I think the drive is failing hahaha. The thing has cracks on the screen. I think I fall like that wouldn't let the HDD go usncathed

If the drive is failing, then you are wasting your time installing a new OS on it. Replace the drive 1st

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

If the drive is failing, then you are wasting your time installing a new OS on it. Replace the drive 1st

I can't, we're in HS. and I know he probably can't to (guy's not rich, would probably have to wait until the drive fails completely before his parents would even replace the machine. That's how things work around here). This is just something to help him in the time being :)

Ah, well then the CoA on the bottom of the laptop will dictate what version of windows you will be installing, otherwise, you'll have to buy a new copy of Windows, and it's gonna set you back more money than replacing the drive.

Unless you happen to have a legit copy of windows around not in use...

31 minutes ago, djdelarosa25 said:

I can't, we're in HS. and I know he probably can't to (guy's not rich, would probably have to wait until the drive fails completely before his parents would even replace the machine. That's how things work around here). This is just something to help him in the time being :)

Installing an OS on a failing drive is the exact opposite of helping him. This only sets him up for potential data loss and downtime when the drive actually fails during a period of time he actually really needs the laptop for school or work or whatever. You'd be helping him by convincing his parents to replace the laptop entirely, or at least the HDD, if the laptop is actually critical to his daily routine.

Otherwise fixing it at this stage is the equivalent of ductaping the headgasket back together on to a 1998 Honda Civic that's had 5 or 6 owners who've all treated the car like shit, never performed and maintenance, and probably crashed it a few times during races with their "car friends" that meet up at Tim Hortons at 930pm on a Wednesday night to do burnouts in the parking lot.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You can download Windows 7 directly from Microsoft

To my understanding MS removed all copies of Win 7 and 8.1 from their site. You can only get Windows 10 from them now. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

32 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I remember Microsoft making statements they were removing the ISOs. So get them while they have them up. Because you won't be able to later. 

Yeah this is why I put "maybe..." there. I can't test as I already have Win7 installed, and at work we have a VLK (which, I'm not at work, so I can't test currently) but it would sort of be weird to leave the website up and take the ISOs down...