Dumb question.... maybe

Legendaryk4

Hey, so.... I built a pc today. Not my first time, however I ran across something this time I have not before. The case I got only came with 1 fan. Cool, no problem. I bought a box of 4 Rosewill fans. The fans have a 3 pin connector and also a Molex that branches off of that. The system fan port on my mobo is a 4 pin..... is this normal.

Also, I'm looking for a 120mm fan with a 2 pin connector. I need to replace the one in my psu.

Thanks!

It is okey, you cannot connect it wrong beacuse there is only one way to connect it even tho fan is 3 pin and mobo 4

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania mobo fan connector

It look like this. You just can't plug it wrong

Quote me so I can reply <3

3 minutes ago, Legendaryk4 said:

Hey, so.... I built a pc today. Not my first time, however I ran across something this time I have not before. The case I got only came with 1 fan. Cool, no problem. I bought a box of 4 Rosewill fans. The fans have a 3 pin connector and also a Molex that branches off of that. The system fan port on my mobo is a 4 pin..... is this normal.

Also, I'm looking for a 120mm fan with a 2 pin connector. I need to replace the one in my psu.

Thanks!

afik, a 3 pin goes fine into a 4 pin, just give less control

8 minutes ago, Legendaryk4 said:

Thanks!

The difference between a 4-pin and 3-pin fan is that the 3 pin is not PWM controlled. You can just plug the 3-pin fan connectors to the 4-pin header without any issues. You just won't have the luxury of controlling fan speeds with PWM. 

With the two pin header, I would assume it's the same but don't quote me on that. Never encountered a situation where I had to use a 2-pin... except in the dinosaur Pentium 3 and earlier days.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

14 minutes ago, Gawron10001 said:

It is okey, you cannot connect it wrong beacuse there is only one way to connect it even tho fan is 3 pin and mobo 4

It look like this. You just can't plug it wrong

If you're sufficiently determined you can plug anything in wrong.  I've heard of people shoving USB cables into ethernet ports and even somehow managing to install the 8 pin PSU cables wrong... yes I know they're keyed and it should be impossible. xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you're sufficiently determined you can plug anything in wrong.  I've heard of people shoving USB cables into ethernet ports and even somehow managing to install the 8 pin PSU cables wrong... yes I know they're keyed and it should be impossible. xD

Ehrm, I may or may not have once managed to jam a CPU 4 pin in backwards...

Don't worry it didn't go in all the way so I noticed my mistake after the system wouldn't boot :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's why i put up my gf pc. Caus she was so determined she tried to plug ram sideways....

Quote me so I can reply <3

Just don't use molex and 3pin at the same time.

As for PSU fans, is it using mini-connector or normal size? There aren't any retail fans sold with mini-connectors. There are some adapters sold (modiy.com and such stores) and you can go with soldering. Another way is to run cable to outside, either to mobo for better controls or to PSU itself. Most PSUs will survive low to medium load without running fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/10/2017 at 5:00 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Just don't use molex and 3pin at the same time.

As for PSU fans, is it using mini-connector or normal size? There aren't any retail fans sold with mini-connectors. There are some adapters sold (modiy.com and such stores) and you can go with soldering. Another way is to run cable to outside, either to mobo for better controls or to PSU itself. Most PSUs will survive low to medium load without running fan.

So, I actually found a fan on Amazon with a mini connector, fit perfect into my PSU.... however the squeeking noise isn't gone. So I went back in and removed that plastic baffle that covers half the fan thinking it was that.... nope... noise is still there.... wtf could this be?

11 hours ago, Legendaryk4 said:

So, I actually found a fan on Amazon with a mini connector, fit perfect into my PSU.... however the squeeking noise isn't gone. So I went back in and removed that plastic baffle that covers half the fan thinking it was that.... nope... noise is still there.... wtf could this be?

The plastic piece is there to direct airflow towards hottest parts. You should put that back in.

The noise could be coil whine. As it isn't made by fans, you would have to replace whole part making it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv