Low noise adapter + PWM?

Skanky Sylveon
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Fans have a minimum RPM correct?  I was wondering if that minimum could get lower with a low noise adapter.

well.. in case of PWM, minimum RPM would be the PWM pin tied to ground, which if you bought some quality fans is either off, or so slow that you couldnt possibly want less.

I was wondering if you could get slightly lower RPMs, with the combination of a low noise adapter and PWM, instead of just PWM.

why not just lower the fan curve on your PWM header?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

why not just lower the fan curve on your PWM header?

Fans have a minimum RPM correct?  I was wondering if that minimum could get lower with a low noise adapter.

Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

well.. in case of PWM, minimum RPM would be the PWM pin tied to ground, which if you bought some quality fans is either off, or so slow that you couldnt possibly want less.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

Thanks for the information, so the only real reason to use a low noise adapter is for minimizing the max RPM?  For whatever strange reason.

1 minute ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Thanks for the information, so the only real reason to use a low noise adapter is for minimizing the max RPM?  For whatever strange reason.

what a low noise adapter does is cut down the amount of voltage sent to the fan, which lowers the RPM on DC control fans, but i've honestly found little purpose for a low noise adapter outside of powering fans from a constant power source like USB, and wanting just "that edge" less power.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've honestly found little purpose for a low noise adapter outside of powering fans from a constant power source like USB

I see, so for PC use, non PWM fans are it's only practical use?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

and wanting just "that edge" less power.

Low noise adapters work by having a resistor "soaking up" some of the voltage, correct?  Then you aren't truly using "less power".  ;)

1 hour ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

They're useful if you otherwise don't have pwm control. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.