Laptop: i7-7700HQ or i7-8550U?

OmJo93

Here's a comparison of them, with benchmarks: http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i7_7700hq-690-vs-intel_core_i7_8550u-770

Right now I have my search for a new laptop down to two Dell laptops: a Dell XPS 15 for $1999 CAD or a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 for $1549 CAD. Price isn't an issue since I'll be likely be financing either one through DFS.

The XPS has an i7-7700HQ, the Inspiron has an i7-8550u. I'm not the most knowledgeable person wrt benchmarks, but can they be "misled" due to the i7-8550u having higher single core turbo speeds? From what I understand Intel CPUs aren't designed to be in turbo mode for very long (I could be wrong) so would real performance show any significant differences?

Which CPU would you choose for late 2017, for a laptop you'd be using for a few years? 

Am I crazy for even considering an Inspiron over an XPS 15? Maybe, lol.

2 minutes ago, OmJo93 said:

Here's a comparison of them, with benchmarks: http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i7_7700hq-690-vs-intel_core_i7_8550u-770

Right now I have my search for a new laptop down to two Dell laptops: a Dell XPS 15 for $1999 CAD or a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 for $1549 CAD. Price isn't an issue since I'll be likely be financing either one through DFS.

The XPS has an i7-7700HQ, the Inspiron has an i7-8550u. I'm not the most knowledgeable person wrt benchmarks, but can they be "misled" due to the i7-8550u having higher single core turbo speeds? From what I understand Intel CPUs aren't designed to be in turbo mode for very long (I could be wrong) so would real performance show any significant differences?

Which CPU would you choose for late 2017, for a laptop you'd be using for a few years? 

i7 HQ is faster, it's TDP it like about 48W? U stands for low power CPUs, so I guess it eats about 15W. Also, the U one is usually 2 cores only.

Moreover, laptop is a waste of money, but that's just my opinion.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

I'm watching those Kaby Lake Refresh U-class SKUs very closely. i5 and i7 U-class CPUs are quad core now. If their performance shows a marked increase as a result, I'm all over one. Laptop CPUs over about 35W, in my experience, start to have throttling issues within 18-24 months of purchase. Not a problem if you cycle through laptops like Amy Winehouse through a pharmacy cabinet (too soon?), but if you want it to last, I'd err on the side of a lower power chip.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 minutes ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

i7 HQ is faster, it's TDP it like about 48W? U stands for low power CPUs, so I guess it eats about 15W. Also, the U one is usually 2 cores only.

The 8th generation i5 and i7 ULV CPUs are quad core with multithreading now. Otherwise yeah, this thread wouldn't even exist lol.

Just now, OmJo93 said:

The 8th generation i5 and i7 ULV CPUs are quad core with multithreading now. Otherwise yeah, this thread wouldn't even exist lol.

I'd take the U one in this case. No brainer here. Especially when you're saving bucks.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

I would go with the U, unless you plan on using your laptop like a desktop the majority of the time.

For a portable device, battery life is more important than being able to run heavy apps.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Just now, minervx said:

I would go with the U, unless you plan on using your laptop like a desktop the majority of the time.

For a portable device, battery life is more important than being able to run heavy apps.

I should have clarified, this would be my main computer, I don't have a desktop and aren't home enough to invest in one. I'm a university student so whatever laptop I purchase will also be my "desktop."

The XPS model I'm looking at has a 97WHr battery. It's frustrating that there's like a dozen XPS 15 reviews but nothing for the Inspiron 15 just because it's a consumer laptop so no way to compare battery life or even general performance other than by going off what Dell says.

2 hours ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Your entire comment is irrelevant because of this statement. You're biased against something for personal reasons that have no relevancy.

1 hour ago, OmJo93 said:

I should have clarified, this would be my main computer, I don't have a desktop and aren't home enough to invest in one. I'm a university student so whatever laptop I purchase will also be my "desktop."

The XPS model I'm looking at has a 97WHr battery. It's frustrating that there's like a dozen XPS 15 reviews but nothing for the Inspiron 15 just because it's a consumer laptop so no way to compare battery life or even general performance other than by going off what Dell says.

I would steer clear of the Inspiron 15 personally. First, it's as much as the XPS model and has a worse GPU, so unless the build-quality of the Inspiron is on par with their Precision series (highly unlikely) you'll be buying an overpriced, flimsy, poorly-cooled machine when you could go for their premium model that Dell has babied since they released the line and name XPS.

Plus, you can configure the TDP-down of the CPU in the power management so that it runs as a 35w CPU and gain another hour of battery life. Kaby Lake is already VERY frugal with managing power. I wouldn't worry about battery life even with an i7. 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

8 hours ago, Imglidinhere said:

Your entire comment is irrelevant because of this statement. You're biased against something for personal reasons that have no relevancy.

I would steer clear of the Inspiron 15 personally. First, it's as much as the XPS model and has a worse GPU, so unless the build-quality of the Inspiron is on par with their Precision series (highly unlikely) you'll be buying an overpriced, flimsy, poorly-cooled machine when you could go for their premium model that Dell has babied since they released the line and name XPS.

Plus, you can configure the TDP-down of the CPU in the power management so that it runs as a 35w CPU and gain another hour of battery life. Kaby Lake is already VERY frugal with managing power. I wouldn't worry about battery life even with an i7. 

The XPS model I'm looking at is $1999 on sale, regular price it was $2299 or something around there whereas the Inspiron at regular price is $1549. The new 7000 series models are intriguing, they seem like really good laptops. The monthly payments are $55/month for the XPS 15 (with the sale) and $43/month for the Inspiron so in that way they're pretty much the same price, yeah. Otherwise significantly different lol.

Can you underclock HQ processors? Could I, if for whatever reason, underclock the i7-7700HQ to say 1.8-2.0Ghzand the voltage to 15-20W? Make it behave like the Kaby Lake R i7's? Maybe I'm asking this question in the wrong section. 

32 minutes ago, OmJo93 said:

Can you underclock HQ processors? Could I, if for whatever reason, underclock the i7-7700HQ to say 1.8-2.0Ghzand the voltage to 15-20W? Make it behave like the Kaby Lake R i7's? Maybe I'm asking this question in the wrong section. 

Never underclock, undervolt it, less heat less noise more battery life more reliable

11 hours ago, OmJo93 said:

Never use userbenchmark

The 8th gen ULV CPU only runs at about 2.2 GHz under long heavy loads while the HQ CPUs can maintain the boost clock for a long time (cooling solution is important). If you're planning to game or to do productivity loads, get HQ CPU. If not, go for 8th gen ULV. Keep in mind that 8250U and 8550U perform similarly due to same TDP limitation.

Also, XPS line has better build quality compared to Inspiron line

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

19 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

The 8th gen ULV CPU only runs at about 2.2 GHz under long heavy loads while the HQ CPUs can maintain the boost clock for a long time (cooling solution is important).

Yeah, that's what I figured about the KBR processor and so the benchmarks are kind of misleading when reviewers use them to say the i7-8550u is a faster processor than the i7-7700HQ. Good to know.

I'll be gaming and using FL Studio quite a bit. I think the XPS is the obvious choice, I just wish that camera wasn't so bad - I do a lot of Skyping. But I'll have to make due with it.

24 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Never underclock, undervolt it, less heat less noise more battery life more reliable

Undervolting won't result in thermal throttling? Pardon my ignorance.

24 minutes ago, OmJo93 said:

I'll be gaming and using FL Studio quite a bit. I think the XPS is the obvious choice, I just wish that camera wasn't so bad - I do a lot of Skyping. But I'll have to make due with it.

Undervolting won't result in thermal throttling? Pardon my ignorance.

In this case, HQ CPUs are more suitable for your needs.

Throttling can be caused by many factors, not just thermal only. For instance, poor VRM cooling (XPS 15 common issue, can be fixed by adding thermal pads), poor cooling design (insufficient heatpipes, hot hardware in thin factor, bad thermal paste etc) and BIOS issue (capped clock speed for no reason)

However, what I can tell you is, undervolting definitely helps a lot in thermals and it won't damage your computer.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128