Msi B350 tomahawk, R5 1400 not posting.

So earlier today I was running my PC perfectly fine with a 3.7ghz OC on my R5 1400. I later had to move to a different location so I shut down the computer, unplugged it and transported it. When I got to my destination I plugged it in and powered it on only to find that it got itself stuck in a boot loop. I don't understand what happened! It isn't posting with any OC. I got it to post once with default settings but it isn't consistent and I want my OC back.:(  I had that computer running perfectly fine for 2 months now and have been doing the same trips with it. It didn't suffer unusual vibrations from the car or anything. I tried switching ram slots and resetting cmos. Which eventually got it to post but of course I cant get my overclocks..

Specs: R5 1400, GTX 1070, MSI B350 TOMAHAWK, 8GB DDR4 2400 Single stick. What seems to be happening is that the two lights: CPU and DRAM light up on the motherboard. But then go black and start again. Which supposedly points to a CPU problem. But I got it to post once I reset the cmos. So did I do something to trigger the bios? Am I dealing with hardware failure? 

nm

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Which voltage were you running with the OC?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

8 hours ago, dave_k said:

Which voltage were you running with the OC?

I tried doing 1.38v but with no luck. Im confused because it worked very stable for a while. I don't know why it's doing this now. I also had my 2400mhz ram clocked at 3200 with looser timings at 1.4v. 

11 hours ago, Erosion139 said:

So earlier today I was running my PC perfectly fine with a 3.7ghz OC on my R5 1400. I later had to move to a different location so I shut down the computer, unplugged it and transported it. When I got to my destination I plugged it in and powered it on only to find that it got itself stuck in a boot loop. I don't understand what happened! It isn't posting with any OC. I got it to post once with default settings but it isn't consistent and I want my OC back.:(  I had that computer running perfectly fine for 2 months now and have been doing the same trips with it. It didn't suffer unusual vibrations from the car or anything. I tried switching ram slots and resetting cmos. Which eventually got it to post but of course I cant get my overclocks..

11 hours ago, Erosion139 said:

Specs: R5 1400, GTX 1070, MSI B350 TOMAHAWK, 8GB DDR4 2400 Single stick. What seems to be happening is that the two lights: CPU and DRAM light up on the motherboard. But then go black and start again. Which supposedly points to a CPU problem. But I got it to post once I reset the cmos. So did I do something to trigger the bios? Am I dealing with hardware failure? 

I mess with my CPU and Memory overclocks all the time trying new timings and generally trying to make useless improvements to something that's not broken to begin with. I've noticed that the board tends to lose my settings after I shut the computer down completely (cold boot) and leave it off for a while. If I simply reboot, my settings are fine.

The power cycling is a feature where the board attempts to 'train' or learn appropriate sub-timings for your ram. My ASRock board calls this "AM4 Advance Boot Training". When you adjust ram frequency, voltage, or timings, the system may cycle off/on a few times. This also happens when you do a cold boot.

My advice, ensure you're using the most recent version of your bios. This is fairly important with Ryzen being such a new platform. Bios updates tend to improve system stability and improve memory compatibility. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK#down-bios. Then save your overclocks to a Profile so you can recall them should the board reset to defaults again. Some tips: I find, with my board, that adjusting the CPU and Memory clocks separately helps. Do the Memory clock first, then save changes and reboot back into the bios. If successful, overclock the cpu this time. Save changes and reboot back into the bios. If all looks correct, save those settings as a Profile. Surely your board has that option. Once it's working correctly, you could try to disable that am4 training feature if your board has that option. Might work, might not.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

On 10/7/2017 at 12:06 PM, johndms said:

I mess with my CPU and Memory overclocks all the time trying new timings and generally trying to make useless improvements to something that's not broken to begin with. I've noticed that the board tends to lose my settings after I shut the computer down completely (cold boot) and leave it off for a while. If I simply reboot, my settings are fine.

The power cycling is a feature where the board attempts to 'train' or learn appropriate sub-timings for your ram. My ASRock board calls this "AM4 Advance Boot Training". When you adjust ram frequency, voltage, or timings, the system may cycle off/on a few times. This also happens when you do a cold boot.

My advice, ensure you're using the most recent version of your bios. This is fairly important with Ryzen being such a new platform. Bios updates tend to improve system stability and improve memory compatibility. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK#down-bios. Then save your overclocks to a Profile so you can recall them should the board reset to defaults again. Some tips: I find, with my board, that adjusting the CPU and Memory clocks separately helps. Do the Memory clock first, then save changes and reboot back into the bios. If successful, overclock the cpu this time. Save changes and reboot back into the bios. If all looks correct, save those settings as a Profile. Surely your board has that option. Once it's working correctly, you could try to disable that am4 training feature if your board has that option. Might work, might not.

Thats all easy. But the problem is now that I have tinkered with it for a while, now I cant get it to boot even when I apply a 3.2Ghz manual clock to the thing. Yet I can enable game boost and A-XMP to get 3.4Ghz with 2400mhz ram. :/ Its worrying because I had that profile saved and now it doesn't work... :| 

20 minutes ago, Erosion139 said:

Thats all easy. But the problem is now that I have tinkered with it for a while, now I cant get it to boot even when I apply a 3.2Ghz manual clock to the thing. Yet I can enable game boost and A-XMP to get 3.4Ghz with 2400mhz ram. :/ Its worrying because I had that profile saved and now it doesn't work... :| 

I don't know how experienced you are with tinkering, nor do I know how well your board handles the tinkers you've done. I know you've done a bios reset in the past, but follow the instructions in the image below and reset it again.

Ignore the ram for now, leave it alone and just attempt to change your CPU Frequency multiplier to 37 and CPU Core Voltage to 1.35v. Save that and reboot making no other changes. Don't mess with game boost, whatever that is. I can't see a logical reason why a change that easy should fail. You could also dig around the advanced options and disable Cool and Quiet, C6 State, and Core Performance Boost, but, in my opinion, it's not absolutely necessary and shouldn't matter with this sort of mild overclock.

Edit: Are you using the most recent bios version, 7A34v18?

msi_tom_cmos.png.7e503a4a7bb0ac2bf10a29823a6784bb.png

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

20 minutes ago, johndms said:

I don't know how experienced you are with tinkering, nor do I know how well your board handles the tinkers you've done. I know you've done a bios reset in the past, but follow the instructions in the image below and reset it again.

Ignore the ram for now, leave it alone and just attempt to change your CPU Frequency multiplier to 37 and CPU Core Voltage to 1.35v. Save that and reboot making no other changes. Don't mess with game boost, whatever that is. I can't see a logical reason why a change that easy should fail. You could also dig around the advanced options and disable Cool and Quiet, C6 State, and Core Performance Boost, but, in my opinion, it's not absolutely necessary and shouldn't matter with this sort of mild overclock.

Edit: Are you using the most recent bios version, 7A34v18?

msi_tom_cmos.png.7e503a4a7bb0ac2bf10a29823a6784bb.png

Using your previous comment helped! :D Apparently turning the Memory Retry count from 5 to one not only helped with boot times but also solved my "Infinite" boot loop problem. Which actually wasn't even infinite I guess. Im back running at 3700Mhz on the CPU and I slightly clocked my memory down to 3066Mhz. Thanks for your help! :) Now I just need to reseat my battery... Lets see if that trips something weird.

11 minutes ago, Erosion139 said:

Using your previous comment helped! :D Apparently turning the Memory Retry count from 5 to one not only helped with boot times but also solved my "Infinite" boot loop problem. Which actually wasn't even infinite I guess. Im back running at 3700Mhz on the CPU and I slightly clocked my memory down to 3066Mhz. Thanks for your help! :) Now I just need to reseat my battery... Lets see if that trips something weird.

Hmm. I mentioned nothing about the battery or Memory Retry count.:| Having the battery out just means your bios changes will be lost if you unplug the PC. My ASRock board has a 'fail count' setting (Default: 3) that I've actually raised to 5 to give my system more attempts to successfully post with my saved changes. If it reaches 5 power cycles, it'll reset the bios wiping all overclocks. I do have the option to disable the entire training feature, but that's just a toggle on/off.

But hey, if it's working.. save that profile and leave it alone, lol.xD

Oh, and I think removing the battery will clear any saved Profiles. FYI

10 hours ago, johndms said:

Hmm. I mentioned nothing about the battery or Memory Retry count.:| Having the battery out just means your bios changes will be lost if you unplug the PC. My ASRock board has a 'fail count' setting (Default: 3) that I've actually raised to 5 to give my system more attempts to successfully post with my saved changes. If it reaches 5 power cycles, it'll reset the bios wiping all overclocks. I do have the option to disable the entire training feature, but that's just a toggle on/off.

But hey, if it's working.. save that profile and leave it alone, lol.xD

Oh, and I think removing the battery will clear any saved Profiles. FYI

I know what the battery does :). I was just convinced there was a problem with it somehow. You know, because when I unplugged it before, it bricked itself. Anyways now its running fine at 3.7Ghz (CPU) 3066Mhz (RAM). I do need a better cooler though xD. Running stock :(. Also for your question, Taking out the battery does not clear my profiles. It essentially does the same thing as the jumper (because the jumper essentially cuts the power to the CMOS).