Weird optimization problem, GPU usage low & low fps/hitching in several games; though, for some it works perfectly.

First of all, I want to note, that I've checked out this thread:

PC specs:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/thhsQV
Please note, that I got the stock cooler for the CPU
I've also clocked CPU to 3.3GHz, running 3.29GHz
Not sure I've seen it run much higher than 40% CPU usage, with the exception of benchmarks.

Warframe:
Although disabling HPET worked, to some extent; I'm still never reaching  in 80%+ GPU usage, when in-game.
(usually hovers on 40-60% gpu usage, with around 1,2gb vram usage.)
There are two exceptions: The first is login screen, where I get 500~ish FPS, 99%gpu usage;
and similarly, the second, is when I'm in loading screen, and someone else is hosting, I get up to 700 FPS,99% gpu usage.
(Guessing, that this is because, some sort of limiter is off, and/or lowered settings/less to render.)

Dark souls 3, is probably the one that's doing the, worst on my setup, since it hitches quite often, and quite badly... 
Also even if it says I'm 58-60 fps, it's not consistently timed; hence, even if the fps is correct, it's mini hitches most of the time.
(Say 45fps in the first half second, then 15fps then the last half, just as an example; I've not tested, the consistency, because I can see it's not consistent.)

What I've tried:

• Overclocking GPU/CPU (individually & together)
  • Testing to see, if GPU auto throttles due to low wattage/not enough power; it doesn't as it works on 99% some games,
    that are more HW intensive (Tested CoD AW + filling memory settings, no problem, runs at 99% quite stable.)
  • Nvidia Power settings, fiddling around with sync, & other settings: No difference.
  • Disabled, and I deleted HPET (Enabled using more than 40% of GPU.)
    (I think, I deleted it, said so in Powershell window.) 
  • Drivers should be up to date; if not, the pc is just 2-3 months old, got it the 28/29th of July, I think it was.
    (Installed all, of the newest drivers, when I got it; so if they're not the newest, they're relatively new.)
  • Everything is connected properly, in the right slots.
  • Tried other games, only other I've found any similar problems with, is League of Legends,
    where FPS starts out 220-250, then drops to 100-120 after a few minutes.
    (GPU usage start out at 30-35%, then drops down to 15-25%)
  • Tried benchmarking, GPU uses 99%, and got good results.
  • Using genuine Win10 Pro, 64bit
    (Only because win7 doesn't support M.2 NMVe drives, and being used to windows +
    I've heard Linux has just gotten Dx9/Dx11, from a Linux user; can't remember which.)
  • Tested Dark Souls 3, on max settings, averaging out on 45% gpu usage, topped on 55%, about 3,1gb vram usage.
    I'm also getting a lot of hitches, ruining gameplay; considering dodging & similar, becoming hard to time.
    (Also aware of the 60 FPS limit of the game, although this is still no excuse for the hitching.)
  • Looked for VT-d settings in BIOS, did not find any
  • Tested Nier: Automata, got  80%+ gpu usage, around 4gb vram usage, occasional fps drop, on maxed settings.
    (Usually 90%+ gpu usage)
  • Overwatch works like a charm, even on maxed settings, getting 90%+ gpu usage, & 150-180 frames on "epic" settings, w/ 100% texture scaling.

The tests, that I ran, to check GPU usage percentages, I ran on default clock speeds
(1506MHz GPU clock,  2002MHz mem clock.)
(Says 1835MHz, on core clock, under sensors tab, in GPU-z)

Have yet, to see my GPU, go over 65 Celsius, and my CPU over 68-70 Celsius

What I haven't tested:

• Underclocking PC
  • Disabling VT-d (Since I couldn't find it anywhere.)
  • Disconnecting extra monitors, via plugging out cables.
    (Although secondary screen wasn't plugged in for 2-3 weeks; before getting extra cable for, so ran without it for a while.)
    Secondary screen for browser + monitoring GPU/CPU, 3rd screen is TV. 
    (For viewing stuff/playing with controller; is usually off.)
    All 3 monitors are 60Hz, but some games have other bonuses by running higher FPS.

Random picture, of small ds3 hitch + HW monitoring. (Had far worse hitches, but hard catching them on print screen.)
Edit: Forgot to add cpu temp into HW monitor.
DS3.thumb.png.6ba680031be31dbc10c756f49a723052.png

in older or worse optimized  games its all about singlethread performance, in that case a gpu can end up beeing bottlenecked by the cpu easily... there are alot of games where ur gpu can never reach 100% usage because of the poor optimization + the game only using 2 cores for example

if u see ur task manager that particular game is only using 2 threads, that is why

in this case there is nothing u can do, it is why intel is preferred for gaming ( single thread performance better )

however on modern games multithreaded games it shouldnt matter much :)

sadly the problem lies with the developers of the games, not somthing we can fix unless we adjust the game's optimizations by adding better multithread(+instructionsets . ect ect ) support for modern cpu,s ect

(◑‿◐)

Can you open up Resource Manager and see how many threads DS3 asks the OS for?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

13 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

in older or worse optimized  games its all about singlethread performance, in that case a gpu can end up beeing bottlenecked by the cpu easily... there are alot of games where ur gpu can never reach 100% usage because of the poor optimization + the game only using 2 cores for example

if u see ur task manager that particular game is only using 2 threads, that is why

in this case there is nothing u can do, it is why intel is preferred for gaming ( single thread performance better )

however on modern games multithreaded games it shouldnt matter much :)

sadly the problem lies with the developers of the games, not somthing we can fix unless we adjust the game's optimizations by adding better multithread(+instructionsets . ect ect ) support for modern cpu,s ect

Thing is, I've tried some games that are a bit older; like the 2013 Tomb Raider game, which runs amazingly well.
(usually capped at 99% GPU usage, all the time.)

Also, I'd like to add, that all of the abovementioned games, are either rather new;
or is getting updates regularly, Warframe is a 3rd person shooter mmorpg. 

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Can you open up Resource Manager and see how many threads DS3 asks the OS for?

On start up, asked for 30; when I reached the main menu, it was asking for 105;
I tabbed out, and it went down to 103, then tabbed back in again, went to 104...
Used a while to go up to 105 again, even after some derping around in-game.

cpu usage seems to be roughly 10-20% by ds3

Just now, Dr.SpaceCake said:

I tabbed out, and it went down to 103, then tabbed back in again, went to 104...
used a while to go up to 105 again, even after some derping around in-game.

cpu usage seems to be roughly 10-20%

Then it's just From's engine asking for a few cores. You can't use more cores than what's asked for by the engine (hyperthreading is allocated by the OS and CPU), but see if a complete reinstall works (backup your saves) by deleting the game and all of its folders. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

14 minutes ago, Dr.SpaceCake said:

Thing is, I've tried some games that are a bit older; like the 2013 Tomb Raider game, which runs amazingly well.
(usually capped at 99% GPU usage, all the time.)

Also, I'd like to add, that all of the abovementioned games, are either rather new;
or is getting updates regularly, Warframe is a 3rd person shooter mmorpg. 

Used a while to go up to 105 again, even after some derping around in-game.

cpu usage seems to be roughly 10-20% by ds3

yes but thats because those games like the tombraider u mention use less cpu power for other stuff

(◑‿◐)

30 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Then it's just From's engine asking for a few cores. You can't use more cores than what's asked for by the engine (hyperthreading is allocated by the OS and CPU), but see if a complete reinstall works (backup your saves) by deleting the game and all of its folders. 

Doing complete reinstall, though I doubt it'll work. but worth a shot I guess;
guess it should be done soon-ish, but been awake for 19~ish hours, so gonna sleep it out.

Although, I don't think it'll work for all the games, even if it works for ds3... 
Also, I guess there's no official ds3 run command, for utilizing more cores? (Like: -useallcores)

I'll post the results when I wake up.

21 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

yes but thats because those games like the tombraider u mention use less cpu power for other stuff

Can you please specify, what the "other stuff," you're referring to, is?

Also, thanks to both of you; and anyone else, that comes with, any sort of input, as well.

Been searching around like crazy; I've asked my brother, who's even more of a nerd than me,
and I've yet to come across any answer that's been working... Hoping, that I'll find a global fix for it...
(My brother is a hobby programmer, and has done tons of HW hacks etc. so he knows his stuff.)

I've asked other players in warframe, if they know of any solutions, some have been saying,
that it's not very optimized, and they've heard of others with similar problems...
(I've met a lot, of hardcore nerds there, and they've been completely baffled, as well.)

8 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Did a complete reinstall, even deleted old settings file, in save folder;
this helped a bit with the inconsistency, of the frame rate, but I'm still having hitches & fps drops.
Threads topped on 106, but usually was on 104, and GPU usage topped on 55%, 
but GPU usage, still averaged out to roughly 45%.

Still had a few, but really bad hitches as well; some lasting, up to several seconds.

58 minutes ago, Dr.SpaceCake said:

Still had a few, but really bad hitches as well; some lasting, up to several seconds.

It could be one of three things...

Ryzen's inter-CCX latency leaving you with empty clock cycles,

From's engine was made for dual-cores with higher frequency rather than more cores, 

or low frequency or slow I/O.

You can't fix the first teo since that's decided by the CPU and game engine. Tge thurd can be solved by increasing your frequency to 3.8-4.0 which seems to be the wall for Ryzen chips.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler