Croyrig H5 Ultimate for 8600K?

wdodge0912

Will the Cryorig H5 cooler be good enough to push overclocking the 8600k to at least or over 4.5ghz on all cores? I'd like to get somewhere around there. Really I'd be happy @ 4ghz, as I'd be coming from an FX 8300, but I would love to be able to say I am over 4ghz on 6 cores (my FX 8300 onbly gets 3.6ghz, I think it's a mobo issue, but not worth looking into it with Ryzen and the 8th gen intel stuff)

these are my planned builds (not sure if I want to go with 2 SSDs, or save a bit and go with 1 SSD and a spinny HDD)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ka0sGh0sT/saved/HmRvVn

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ka0sGh0sT/saved/QgjZ8d

I would not be opposed to get a better more expensive cooler, but I don't want something that'll block the RGB lights I have, as 2 will be on the top, and one on the bottom, with the JetFlo's being in front and the Noctua fan in the rear. I plan to remove the drive bays and use an adapter for the standard HDD if I go with one to mount in where a disc drive would go (I'm going to use an external one when I need to as I don't want to paint or modify one to match the case. but airflow to the cooler shouldn't be a problem. just not sure if the H5 cooler will be enough, or if I should go for something like the R1, if that would be enough and not hide that half of the case.

If you don't want to block the view but you are okay with spending more, what about an AIO?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Just now, Armakar said:

If you don't want to block the view but you are okay with spending more, what about an AIO?

I have an H60 on my FX8300 I could use, and mount up to the Noctua fan to improve it's performance, but I want something better than that.  Maybe the H80I, but I haven't seen one installed in the case I have, most people just go with a 240 rad, which I could do, but I don't want to put in on the front, and I want the RGB lights on the top, not sure how the fans I have picked will work with the radiator, especially in push just by themselves (I don't want to push/pull as I think that would make it too thick up top and cause issues with clearance, but I'm not sure about that either. I haven't build in this case, but I know I had a lot of clearance issues in the case I have now with the h60, and the C70 is not much taller than what I have now

1 minute ago, wdodge0912 said:

I have an H60 on my FX8300 I could use- *snip*

I'd highly advise to not use a 120mm radiator, even though it's handy to have one lying around. The heat dissipation that the 8700k requires will be too much for the H60 to handle. You'd want to go 240/360mm if you were to go AIO.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 hour ago, Hiitchy said:

I'd highly advise to not use a 120mm radiator, even though it's handy to have one lying around. The heat dissipation that the 8700k requires will be too much for the H60 to handle. You'd want to go 240/360mm if you were to go AIO.

that's my thinking on why I wanted to switch to an air cooler that'll be out of the way a bit, so I can have my lighting and also cool the CPU better than the h60 I got now, for cheaper than a 240mm rad, and not affect how I want to set up my fans.

really though, I was wondering if the H5 would cool the 8600k sufficiently to get to over 4.0ghz on all cores, or if the R1 would and be out of the way enough to have the leds on the fan be able to shine down though the case