iPhone 8 has wireless charging problems

Source : https://www.notebookcheck.com/Apple-iPhone-8-hat-Probleme-mit-kabellosem-Laden.257490.0.html

Source English : https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.notebookcheck.com%2FApple-iPhone-8-hat-Probleme-mit-kabellosem-Laden.257490.0.html&edit-text=&act=url

Note : Google Translate was used so grammar may not be up to par.

Apple's latest iPhone launched a few weeks ago with a variety of new features, including wireless charging.  Wireless charging was supposed to make charging your new iPhone 8 more convenient by removing the need to plug the phone in.

Although Apple uses the Qi standard which has been in existance since 2008 the iPhone 8 models seem to have multiple issues while charging wirelessly.

To begin with the convinience of wireless charging comes from the ability to simply place the phone on the charging pad without thought, however multiple users have reported that wireless charging will stop functioning correctly if moved even slightly. This movement sensibility seems to be so great that the vibration of a notification can cause charging to cease.

In practice, several users report that loading is interrupted as soon as the smartphone is exposed to even the smallest movement

Apple has responded with the recommendation to disable the vibration alarm when placing the phone on the charging pad:

If your iPhone vibrates—when it gets a notification, for example—your iPhone might shift position. This can cause the charging mat to stop providing power to your iPhone.

Additionally the phones seem to generate an excessive amount of heat when charging wirelessly, so much that charging is halted until the phone cools down again. This may be a feature to prolong the lifetime of the battery , however I haven't heard of reports from other companies with similar issues.

In addition, the smartphone is heated so long as the cable is so far that the charging process must interrupt occasionally, so that the hardware can cool again.

A new iPhone, a new set of issues. This isn't anything groundbreaking, any product which sells tens of millions of units in less than a month will have problems which slip through QA.

As far as I know Samsung has been able to develop a wireless charging method which functions even if notifications arrive, given that Apple took a technology which has been developed for almost 10 years I would have expected them to at least have this working.

ive had more issues charging my note 8 wirelessly than now my 8 plus.......................

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Wireless charging does not exist! :ph34r:

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Yea, while these issues should have been worked out in the QC phase... Wireless charging sucks, in all phones. Issues like these are to be expected.  The vibration thing is hilarious though, nobody else has that problem. 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

not really apple's fault, Qi was a shit standard to begin with, nothing apple can't do if they're limited and held back by it 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

not really apple's fault, Qi was a shit standard to begin with, nothing apple can't do if they're limited and held back by it 

Considering everything else apple is proprietary they COULD have developed something that works. And better than any standard in other phones...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Just now, Jrock said:

Considering everything else apple is proprietary they COULD have developed something that works. And better than any standard in other phones...

obviously. Can't wait for next when they introduce the real solution for wireless charging, them using Qi is just a placeholder to shut up the android bots 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Does their upcoming airpower mat use Qi or something else?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

obviously. Can't wait for next when they introduce the real solution for wireless charging, them using Qi is just a placeholder to shut up the android bots 

I seriously hope apple is the first one to the wireless charging throughout the home, because you then know it will become a standard very quickly

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

Just now, Jrock said:

I seriously hope apple is the first one to the wireless charging throughout the home, because you then know it will become a standard very quickly

apple has bigger plans than those, calling it now they'll release wireless charging through the currently available radio waves 

apple has bigger plans than those, calling it now they'll release wireless charging through the currently available radio waves 

We can only hope...

And that's why I still would stick with wired.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Wireless charging has always produced excessive heat even beyond Qi's implementation since you have two coils that must transfer energy across a rather sizable separation. Also, that's one strong vibrator if it moves the phone a good half centimeter. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hasn't wireless charging always been kinda shitty though?

Never understood the practicality of it, to be honest.

When you're moving from farm to farm and don't want to spend time plugging in the cable every time you get in. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, VegetableStu said:

wasn't that the reason why they were hesitant to adopt Qi in the early years? o_o

On a separate note, charging via magnetic induction is inherently highly inefficient isn't it

only because we haven't seen Apple's solution yet. Bet it's going to be closer to 100% efficiency than this Qi crap

I've always wondered what it would look like to see wireless charging done right. Because Apple doesn't do something first, they do it right.

kappa.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I've been using the Choetech Iron stand (an old one, even!) that I bought for my nexus 6, and I have never had charging stop unless I pick it up. If this is talking about those absurd flat pad things, then I could see how the phone physically producing motion could cause the wireless charging to disengage.

I'm not sure why people are saying "lol apple"...

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Wireless charging has always produced excessive heat even beyond Qi's implementation since you have two coils that must transfer energy across a rather sizable separation. Also, that's one strong vibrator if it moves the phone a good half centimeter. 

The vibration motor in my 6s+ has caused it to fall off the edge of the desk at least once (although I always place it in the same position and it's still only happened one... Maybe two times), and the phone started out about 1cm away from the edge, which means the vibration had to move it at least 4cm before it would even have a chance to fall

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Still the only practical use of wireless charging is in vehicles. Either in a cup holder that has it or on the magnetic mounts that have. Other than that I dont see its purpose because as it is you can spend more time fucking with its placement rather than just plugging it in.

3 hours ago, Junky Cat said:

Yea, while these issues should have been worked out in the QC phase... Wireless charging sucks, in all phones. Issues like these are to be expected.  The vibration thing is hilarious though, nobody else has that problem. 

I have to disagree with you there. My wife and myself have been using wireless charging for years (first with Nokia 820s', which both were solely charged using wireless charging) and now with Lumia 950s', and in both instances we've had 0 issues with it. The charging has happened just as you would think and hope it would, place the phone on the charging pad, and it starts charging. Very simple, and definitely works. Charging speed is good as well.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Still the only practical use of wireless charging is in vehicles. Either in a cup holder that has it or on the magnetic mounts that have. Other than that I dont see its purpose because as it is you can spend more time fucking with its placement rather than just plugging it in.

And just to say to this as well, no problems with the placement, it doesn't have to be accurate at all (with the Nokia 820s' nor Lumia 950s'). The phone can be moved (accidently) during the charging, and it doesn't get interrupted. Also, having the phone on an angle or only partially on the plate doesn't affect the charging either.

1 minute ago, outercry said:

And just to say to this as well, no problems with the placement, it doesn't have to be accurate at all (with the Nokia 820s' nor Lumia 950s'). The phone can be moved (accidently) during the charging, and it doesn't get interrupted. Also, having the phone on an angle or only partially on the plate doesn't affect the charging either.

Some designs are more forgiving than others. Like the iphone in this case where the charging point is so narrow, it vibrating will screw it up. While when I tested wireless charging on my S8+ I could move it a few inches left and right and be fine. With some cases makes it feel impossible to get a charge

3 hours ago, Jrock said:

its called 'courage'.