My mom wants an explanation on why I need a mechanical keyboard?

Akolyte

Now I know I don't need a mechanical keyboard as in I don't need a computer, but more about why its highly recommended.  Because I told my mom I wanted to get a mechanical keyboard... she only thinks I should get clothes. -_-    So I need a way to convince her Mechanical keyboards are awesome and are recommended.  Since I do allot of typing and even now my hands are sore from my plastic membrane keyboard.  So she said I could come up with some way to tell her mechanical keyboards are highly recommended and awesomer than my current one while she was out.  If I did a good job I could get one.  So I need you guys to help me here.  I've got allot of videos open in chrome, so I've got those.  Other than that I'm not creative enough.  So I'm asking for help! Thanks guys! 

Explain to her that mechanical keyboards will never brake even if you tried, last so much longer than membrane keys.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

1) It doesn' feel like you are pressing down a piece of rubber.

2) It has a a satisfying click.

3) It will give you fever injuries using the keyboard.

4) It will give you credz among the people of your own age :)

Everything I know :(

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Mech switches last longer

The keyboards are generally more durable

More satisfying to use

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

One reason. The quality of mechanical keyboard are much superior compared to other keyboards. The switches/buttons last much longer compared to traditional keyboards. Somewhere around the ballpark of 1-2 million key strokes for a typical keyboard compared to something like 50 million key strokes for a mechanical keyboard. They also look nice to and are more comfortable to type on.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Explain to her that mechanical keyboards will never brake even if you tried, last so much longer than membrane keys.

50 Million keypresses for each key cap for Cherry switches if I am not too wrong...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

50 Million keypresses for each key cap for Cherry switches if I am not too wrong...

Yus.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

you don't NEED one.

He wants one though....so what can ya do ;p

More satisfying to use

Preference.

Tell her to go try one out. :P

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

First off, do you have a lot of clothes already, or do you only have a handful to wear? If you are constantly having to wear the same clothes over and over, by all means get clothes. If you're fine on clothes, go ahead and try to convince her. Personally, I just got my MX Blue keyboard today and I've been using it for the past 2 hours and so far it feels amazing. It's a lot harder to accidentally hit keys you didn't mean to hit compared to my last keyboard. Overall, it just feels much more solid. You don't NEED to get a mechanical keyboard at all, so if you're spending HER money, don't do it. If you're spending your money, just go ahead and buy it.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

Mech keyboard will definitely last longer but you definitely need to be sure which one you want because your mom probably won't buy you 2-3-4 if you tell her it lasts longer.

General keyboards are fine, mech keyboards are just cream on your coffee... you don't need one, its for people who can afford it. If your clothes are horribles/used, sorry but your mom is right. :(

Why don't you make your own money instead of begging mommy

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

You don't need one. But the way to convince parent(s), clients, is as with anything. It's an investment. If you pay a little more at the beginning to get a product you know you will use, enjoy, fills your needs now and in future, is good quality and will last then its an investment. Instead of paying nominal fees every other year for a membrane.

People often wonder and I have to tell people time and time again, you are not going to get a decent PC/Laptop for £100 - £200. If you use it THAT much then invest. They tend to just stare at me in disbelief... then go and ask a sales rep in curry's in which they sell them a shitty dual core laptop, then complain at me that its not doing what they wanted. *sigh*

I mean I upgraded to a CM Storm QFTK MXB and love the thing. Only way someone is going to willingly take this thing from me is via those new Cherry MX RGB's in brown switch, in a CMS QFTK. 

(The abbreviations are strong with this one...)

Idk you sure you want one? Once you have one you can never go back to membrane.  Sometimes I want to take my keyboard to school, so I can use it instead.  lol

Ask her why its better for you to not wear diapers anymore?And ask for a explanation.. :lol:

Idk you sure you want one? Once you have one you can never go back to membrane. Sometimes I want to take my keyboard to school, so I can use it instead. lol

lol, yeah I have severe dyslexia and my speech got all f**ked up when I was young. So Membranes don't help either. What kind of switch do you think I would suit? Because I push keys down super hard. My mom used to tell me off when I was young for pushing the spacebar so hard I broke it.

Ask her why its better for you to not wear diapers anymore?And ask for a explanation.. :lol:

yeah, good one! sometimes I'm in a game and really want to pee, so it would be awesome just to do it at your chair and not cause the worst bloody mess

You don't need one. But the way to convince parent(s), clients, is as with anything. It's an investment. If you pay a little more at the beginning to get a product you know you will use, enjoy, fills your needs now and in future, is good quality and will last then its an investment. Instead of paying nominal fees every other year for a membrane.

People often wonder and I have to tell people time and time again, you are not going to get a decent PC/Laptop for £100 - £200. If you use it THAT much then invest. They tend to just stare at me in disbelief... then go and ask a sales rep in curry's in which they sell them a shitty dual core laptop, then complain at me that its not doing what they wanted. *sigh*

I mean I upgraded to a CM Storm QFTK MXB and love the thing. Only way someone is going to willingly take this thing from me is via those new Cherry MX RGB's in brown switch, in a CMS QFTK.

(The abbreviations are strong with this one...)

yeah, I always break my membrain keyboards within like a month of use because I slam my keys so hard they break.

Mech keyboard will definitely last longer but you definitely need to be sure which one you want because your mom probably won't buy you 2-3-4 if you tell her it lasts longer.

General keyboards are fine, mech keyboards are just cream on your coffee... you don't need one, its for people who can afford it. If your clothes are horribles/used, sorry but your mom is right. :(

My cloths are fine. Its just I did the splits yesterday and ripped my good pants.

He wants one though....so what can ya do ;p

Preference.

I already said I don't mean need as in NEED NEED I mean need as in why do a need one, as in why is it best?

yeah, I always break my membrain keyboards within like a month of use because I slam my keys so hard they break.  

Have your mom schedule psychiatrist appointments rather than buy a mechanical keyboard, assuming you're a child since you can't provide funds you'll find it extra useful once you get thrown out of the house.

On topic:

More ergonomic than membranes, will put less strain on your hands.  

Also figure out how to use that huge " Edit " button.

Tell her to go try one out.  :P

Maybe it's just my mom and my friend's mom but they see no difference between a mechanical keyboard and a membrane other than that some make noise. ( Maybe Russian moms don't believe in MKBs )

Why don't you make your own money instead of begging mommy

I never said I was begging. I also never said I'm using her money. Shes just really controlling because I don't have a car or a credit card so I need to ask her for her credit card so then I can pay her in cash. Because there are no shops that sell mechanical keyboards where I live.

Have your mom schedule psychiatrist appointments rather than buy a mechanical keyboard, assuming you're a child since you can't provide funds you'll find it extra useful once you get thrown out of the house.

On topic:

More ergonomic than membranes, will put less strain on your hands.

Also figure out how to use that huge " Edit " button.

:rolleyes:

Yus.

sweet!

1) It doesn' feel like you are pressing down a piece of rubber.

2) It has a a satisfying click.

3) It will give you fever injuries using the keyboard.

4) It will give you credz among the people of your own age :)

Everything I know :(

None of my friends even know what a mechanical keyboard is. And besides I'm the nerd among my friends, the one who gets bullied and then begged to build a computer for someone :( (with thier money of course)

Yeah, I snapped my other membrane. So easy to brake. It was made of high quality plastic but they are still easy to break?

It's worth the investment.

$100+ keyboard will easily last way more than five times as long as a $50 keyboard. Broken down into an annual cost, mechanical keyboards are cheaper. Example: $50 keyboard lasts 2 years, mechanical keyboard lasts 5 years. Per year, mechanical keyboard (assume $100) will be $20/year, regular keyboard will be $25/year. 

Paying for Quality saves a lot more money in the long run. Cheap items are short term gain (cheap), long term loss (breaks quickly, costs money to replace). Quality items are short term loss (due to high upfront cost), but are long term gain (lasts much much longer). 

That's the only reason I can justify buying a $120 jacket, for instance. It's amazing, and no signs of damage after 2 years, and still looks brand new. Compare that to a cheap ($50) jacket that's showing signs of wear and tear after less than a year. Same goes for anything high quality. 

['Course, high price doesn't always mean quality, but it's easy to tell the high quality items from the low quality items]

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I never said I was begging.  I also never said I'm using her money.  Shes just really controlling because I don't have a car or a credit card so I need to ask her for her credit card so then I can pay her in cash.  Because there are no shops that sell mechanical keyboards where I live. 

Sorry about what i said. ive been sick and have been bitchy today.

to avoid your warden's credit card, go buy one of the Visa gift cards at a gas station and use that.

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

None of my friends even know what a mechanical keyboard is. And besides I'm the nerd among my friends, the one who gets bullied and then begged to build a computer for someone :( (with thier money of course)

Personally I go in a "official" nerd class with heavy focus on science so not much bullying for being a nerd there ;)

But I see your problem though :(

Sorry about what i said. ive been sick and have been bitchy today.

to avoid your warden's credit card, go buy one of the Visa gift cards at a gas station and use that.

We all have days like that ;) As long as you are aware of them you are not doing that bad at all :)

Tor