Bios time resets after being powered on for 10 min

Go to solution Solved by PeterPorker3,

UPDATE: I've tried everything at this point:

Update Bois

Reset Bios

Replace cmos battery

I eventually gave up and tried to set the time in windows manually, but whenever I restarted, it would just revert the time. I later noticed that my time zone settings in windows were set wrong. So after correcting that and restarting to see if the time stays the same, I jumped into the bios just out of curiosity. And guess what I found, The time was set correctly without me setting it there in the first place! I guess windows changed the cmos time, but I never knew it could. By doing some research I found that that was a thing ever since windows 7! Learn something new everyday lol!

I built this PC about a year ago: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/parkerahelms/saved/3hTbt6

I have now come across a weird issue with my motherboard where after the system is powered on for 10 minutes, the CMOS time will reset. 

What I have tried:

-Looking up other forum posts talking about a similar issue

-set the time 3 times, issue still exists

I could reset or update my bios, but I want to do that as a last step (Besides swapping the PSU or motherboard) because I had a hard time getting the M.2 Drive bootable and I don't want to mess up my windows installation. 

Any help or tips is appreciated!

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

replace the CMOS battery. keep in mind that doing that will reset the bios.

I may try that, but how could a CMOS battery bie after a year?

Just now, MineParker101 said:

I may try that, but how could a CMOS battery bie after a year?

maybe the battery is older than that. you never know. mobo manufacturers probably have piles of those.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

maybe the battery is older than that. you never know. mobo manufacturers probably have piles of those.

Also, wouldn't the system retain the time when it has power? I've worked on lots of computers and I've never come across something like this.

3 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

Also, wouldn't the system retain the time when it has power? I've worked on lots of computers and I've never come across something like this.

generally yes. i was just thinking of possible solutions. sometimes the things that seem too simple to work, actually fix it.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

generally yes. i was just thinking of possible solutions. sometimes the things that seem too simple to work, actually fix it.

True, I'll try resetting my bios first.

UPDATE: I've tried everything at this point:

Update Bois

Reset Bios

Replace cmos battery

I eventually gave up and tried to set the time in windows manually, but whenever I restarted, it would just revert the time. I later noticed that my time zone settings in windows were set wrong. So after correcting that and restarting to see if the time stays the same, I jumped into the bios just out of curiosity. And guess what I found, The time was set correctly without me setting it there in the first place! I guess windows changed the cmos time, but I never knew it could. By doing some research I found that that was a thing ever since windows 7! Learn something new everyday lol!