Watch out, Netflix and Chill just got more expensive!

AlTech
8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

by definition, that's not true unless you're pirating.

And what if he does? Its a basic principle of business, if a customer cant get what he wants from one place he will search for an other place that meets his expectations. Currently pirates have a better "service" than paying customers. The media industry is blindly pushing out  more unneeded and brutally restrictive DRM's without realizing how counterproductive what they are doing.

As expected, the price continues to rise. I wouldn't be surprised if we see $25 or $30 for the UHD plan in a few years. I'm actually expecting even the double of that, if they're able to get enough content. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

by definition, that's not true unless you're pirating.

I believe that was his point.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

And what if he does? Its a basic principle of business, if a customer cant get what he wants from one place he will search for an other place that meets his expectations. Currently pirates have a better "service" than paying customers. The media industry is blindly pushing out  more unneeded and brutally restrictive DRM's without realizing how counterproductive what they are doing.

Have to totally agree, I am happily paying for Netflix in Australia, however when I see Netflix original content appear 8 hours before it hits AU Netflix it makes me mad. That is total BS.

16 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Price changes in other countries?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41516159

A standard UK plan will rise 50p to £7.99 a month, while a premium subscription for four simultaneous users jumps £1 to £9.99 a month.

The standard US plan increases by $1 to $10.99 a month, with a $2 rise to $13.99 for the premium option.

A basic subscription in the UK, which does not offer high definition viewing, remains at £5.99 a month.

Germany and France are among the other countries where prices will rise. Subscriptions were tweaked in Canada, Latin America and some Nordic countries earlier this year.

Meh. I still have an active subscription but mainly to watch shows with my kid. The only show I was truly into was Twin Peaks season 3 (I know it's showtime but internationally Netflix had the licencing) Doubt they'll renew for a 4th season.

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 hours ago, KuJoe said:

They're raising the prices so they can keep paying for Will Smith. xD

I would literally kill for a Men in Black TV show starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They jacked up Australia's price a little while back too, i wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't for the fact that they offer a small fraction of the content to us when compared to the US version :(  

I understand that there's various licensing issues at play because other content providers here have already purchased exclusive rights for screening certain content within the country but i think the price we pay should reflect this disparity. They (the media) keep saying that Aussies are the No.1 pirates in the world but never acknowledge why, we're always getting locked out of content or charged insane prices compared to the rest of the world, so fucking annoying. 

Aside from a few fringe shows namely parks and rec... I don't watch Netflix and I have access to it. My keep my antenna and get all but 4 of the standard cable channels for free. I like watching shows that grow Acclaim or with people, I enjoy movies aswell. Most of my entertainment comes from games that are either 1 time purchase or free such as league. 

I was considering picking up Netflix just to have, however this is honestly to the point where  can buy a new season set every month, so I'll do that instead. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

20 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I have zero subscription services. I am probably a small minority.

Well, there's at least two of us in this minority.  Virtually the only TV shows I watch are ones no longer on the air that I've bought or downloaded (with very, very few exceptions).

18 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Well, there's at least two of us in this minority.  Virtually the only TV shows I watch are ones no longer on the air that I've bought or downloaded (with very, very few exceptions).

Add me. I have Internet and a 50ft tower with a 7' antenna on top for tv. I get quite a few channels with it to be honest.

20 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

make it 3, (though i am subscribed to Humble Bundle, first and only sub)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The biggest thing I used Netflix for was to watch Seven Deadly Sins (since thats exclusive) and OG Naruto past that I think I'll live with my crunchyroll and funimation possibly moving to just VRV

23 hours ago, wcreek said:

Ouch, not a good time to hear about price hikes. I wonder if its cable companies bribing companies like 21st century fox, and other content providers to charge Nextflix up the ass for streaming licenses.

And of course they want to milk more money out of the customers too Im sure

Your right, i never thought of it like that. The better Netflix does and the more spite TV people have towards them, could also mean the more they raise their prices and cause Netflix to do the same.. I hope the investments in Netflix original content pays off soon before more TV stations start pulling their shows or movies or whatever...

Great point.

Haha netflix is rubbish, in my country it already costs that much since the price is in euros and you get 1/3rd of the content in US, talk about scamming haha.

I hope this service dies sometime, i will never accept to pay for HD, a service that streams standard 360p for 8euro(~10$) is absolute garbage gtfo, ill stick to youtube and .torrent

Youtube can stream 4K60fps for free and netflix wants 15$ for it get lost.