Microsoft offers new $2700 USD Surface Laptop configuration

AlTech
7 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

yeah 2700 and its not crazy thin Could of at least put a 1030 in there. 

What are you talking about? The Surface Laptop is 0.57" (14.47mm) thick - at the thickest point - that's pretty damn thin.

I can't find any solid info that tells us how thick an MXM module is, 14mm is really very little room to have both the slot and the bay where the module goes.

Sure, they could put an integrated GPU chip onto the motherboard, but it's not a gaming laptop, so it doesn't require that horsepower, which would negatively affect battery life, and increase cost.

Just for fun, by comparison, a Macbook Air is 0.68" (17mm) at the thickest point - so the Surface Laptop is thinner than a Macbook Air.

That's pretty damn impressive.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What are you talking about? The Surface Laptop is 0.57" (14.47mm) thick - at the thickest point - that's pretty damn thin.

I can't find any solid info that tells us how thick an MXM module is, 14mm is really very little room to have both the slot and the bay where the module goes.

Sure, they could put an integrated GPU chip onto the motherboard, but it's not a gaming laptop, so it doesn't require that horsepower, which would negatively affect battery life, and increase cost.

Just for fun, by comparison, a Macbook Air is 0.68" (17mm) at the thickest point - so the Surface Laptop is thinner than a Macbook Air.

He was making a joke LMAO

5 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

He was making a joke LMAO

sigh

When will people learn how to Internet?

Joke? Add /s or :P or ;), etc.

I cannot hear the tone of his "voice", and therefore have no way of knowing that he wasn't serious. I'm not going to assume, I take people at face value ;)

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Not defending this new Surface laptop, but Chromebooks are pretty useless. 

I spend literally 90% of my time on my laptop in chrome.

Useless to you maybe, but not to most of the market.

Just now, potoooooooo said:

I spend literally 90% of my time on my laptop in chrome.

Useless to you maybe, but not to most of the market.

You don't use any other applications?

As a Facebook + Email machine, Chromebooks are fine. My mom could get by with just a Chromebook. But there comes a time when you need to use a third party application for one reason or another, and that's when a Chromebook is simply insufficient.

Granted, most people could get by with just their smartphone (or a glorified "smartphone" that's computer sized - eg: iPad, etc), but those people are doing very simple things on their devices.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As a Facebook + Email machine, Chromebooks are fine. My mom could get by with just a Chromebook. But there comes a time when you need to use a third party application for one reason or another, and that's when a Chromebook is simply insufficient.

Granted, most people could get by with just their smartphone (or a glorified "smartphone" that's computer sized - eg: iPad, etc), but those people are doing very simple things on their devices.

cause a surface laptop with Windows 10S is so much better than a chromebook productivity wise 9_9

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

cause a surface laptop with Windows 10S is so much better than a chromebook productivity wise 9_9

Say what you will about Windows 10 S - I personally believe it has limited use in scenarios like a School or an Office where you only need a specific set of readily available "apps", plus an in-house app or something. But it's not for regular use.

But with that in mind, Surface Laptop can be upgraded to 10 Pro, which removes all issues about productivity.

The upgrade from S to Pro is free until the end of December, and after that, it'll continue to be free for Schools, and "Accessibility Users" - whatever that criteria is.

After that, the $49 upgrade fee is kind of bullshit, though - no doubt about that. At least, for a $2700 Laptop it is. In my opinion, the Surface Laptop should come with a Pro license by default, with S downgrade rights.

31 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Not on my laptop, no. I literally just browse the web. Google drive for school, spotify web client for music, and google chrome for literally everything else.

Also don't forget, chromebooks can generally run android apps now.

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

Not on my laptop, no. I literally just browse the web. Google drive for school, spotify web client for music, and google chrome for literally everything else.

Also don't forget, chromebooks can generally run android apps now.

That's fair - but as an actual power user, I wouldn't touch Chromebooks or ChromeOS with a ten foot pole.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

That's fair - but as an actual power user, I wouldn't touch Chromebooks or ChromeOS with a ten foot pole.

Don't forget you can run linux inside of chromeos

2 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Don't forget you can run linux inside of chromeos

Eh - if I need Linux, I'll spin up a proper distro :P

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Dell XPS 15 has a gtx 1050 in it and there site says Height: 0.45 – 0.66" (11-17mm)  since its tappered. I used a surface laptop in person didnt seems as thin as thoese specs  so i miss judged my comment but on the other hand i still think 2,700 for it and its not much thinner if any then a XPS with a 1050 they could have a 1030 in there or similar. Also macbook air is a bad comparison its based off a very old design and laptops have come a long way since then.

I do like the Surface laptop when i used it I was impressed by the feel of it. but it seems like it should be around 900-1200 They need to lower prices a little not raise them  the base 999 is bad and its 1300 for the config most would get  i5 8gb and 256ssd and i think it would sell very well at a the 999-1099 price for that config not the 1299

1 hour ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Dell XPS 15 has a gtx 1050 in it and there site says Height: 0.45 – 0.66" (11-17mm)  since its tappered. I used a surface laptop in person didnt seems as thin as thoese specs  so i miss judged my comment but on the other hand i still think 2,700 for it and its not much thinner if any then a XPS with a 1050 they could have a 1030 in there or similar. Also macbook air is a bad comparison its based off a very old design and laptops have come a long way since then.

I do like the Surface laptop when i used it I was impressed by the feel of it. but it seems like it should be around 900-1200 They need to lower prices a little not raise them  the base 999 is bad and its 1300 for the config most would get  i5 8gb and 256ssd and i think it would sell very well at a the 999-1099 price for that config not the 1299

An XPS 15 is also 2" bigger on the diagonal, which ultimately leads to more internal room. Also, a dGPU isn't always a good thing -- I personally don't want a dGPU in my laptop.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Jesus fucking christ $2700 for a dual core

1TB NVMe SSD is viable for video/photo editing work, but who the fuck would render video on this thing??

Almost anything can be thrown into the cloud these days, so 1TB NVMe on this kind of device is dumb, it's just putting the device at an even more ridiculous pricing 

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

On 06/10/2017 at 2:29 AM, AluminiumTech said:

It has a 1TB NVMe SSD and an expensive i7 laptop CPU with 16GB RAM. What else did you possibly want from a laptop not meant for techies?

Who are the non-techies who need 1tb of flash storage and an i7 processor and don't mind blowing that much money on said product, as opposed to a lower-end model which will likely meet their needs just as well? 

On 06/10/2017 at 2:32 AM, Drak3 said:

It's to make the lower end models look better by comparison, it's not a serious product that Microsoft expects to sell.

Does this feel contradictory though? Microsoft spends all that R&D on what appears to be great hardware that it doesn't expect to sell a ton of? Sounds like flushing good money down the toilet if you ask me. 

On 10/6/2017 at 8:49 AM, dalekphalm said:

I mean... they're totally different classes of laptops.

That's like saying "Why would I buy this Audi sports car when a turbo'd Honda Civic can perform just as well?"

Basically, it kills your ASUS laptop in a couple of ways:

1. Battery Capacity

2. Weight (It weighs half as much as yours)

3. Overall portability - it's light and easy to move around

4. Size of SSD (Yours tops out with a 512GB SATA SSD - compared to a 1TB NVME SSD)

5. RAM - yours only has 8GB out of the box - upgradable to 16GB but you've got to do the upgrade yourself or find a business that will pre-upgrade the RAM on it

Now, lots of people will read what I just wrote and say "I don't give a shit about that stuff!" And that's great. That's why we have choice and competition. Go buy the ASUS. But LOTS of people value the things that I laid out here. For those people? The ASUS wouldn't be as good of a choice.

Basically this, people don't realise just how frustrating it can be if you have to drag your laptop from meeting to meeting on the tram, train, bus, to the hospital then on your lap for another 2 hour appointment then on plane.  Every gram and mm is welcome along side the snappy performance and ability to have 20 tabs/documents open at once.  Yes, people earning 6 figures will spend 2700 on that with only one question to the salesman: will I regret buying this?  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Basically this, people don't realise just how frustrating it can be if you have to drag your laptop from meeting to meeting on the tram, train, bus, to the hospital then on your lap for another 2 hour appointment then on plane.  Every gram and mm is welcome along side the snappy performance and ability to have 20 tabs/documents open at once.  Yes, people earning 6 figures will spend 2700 on that with only one question to the salesman: will I regret buying this?  

Pfffft. Plebs should start lifting. 

On serious note, I agree and that is the whole point. I drag so much unnecessary stuff with me that's it's ridiculous, stuff that often drains your stamina really quick, and I can't see many people willing to do that. If we're honest sometimes it annoys me. And then I see that guy next to me with a MB Air or something similar and yeah, I don't want it but I want it. But I just have to be that dumb guy who wants. It's relatively light at 2.4 kg, but that adds up over time. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Pfffft. Plebs should start lifting. 

On serious note, I agree and that is the whole point. I drag so much unnecessary stuff with me that's it's ridiculous, stuff that often drains your stamina really quick, and I can't see many people willing to do that. If we're honest sometimes it annoys me. And then I see that guy next to me with a MB Air or something similar and yeah, I don't want it but I want it. But I just have to be that dumb guy who wants power.

at the end of the day, sometimes we just need to decide if we are going to pay more for things we don't technically need but that do make life easier. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Honestly I don't get the appeal of a thin laptop like that. I would rather have a slightly thicker laptop with a bigger battery and a solid feel. I want it to be thin not a piece of paper if you know what I mean.

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I don't get the appeal of a thin laptop like that. I would rather have a slightly thicker laptop with a bigger battery and a solid feel. I want it to be thin not a piece of paper if you know what I mean.

Not sure if you ever used MBP 13 (even Air) or XPS 13, but even though though are thinner than most laptops, their build quality is more than good and they give a proper, solid feel when used. 

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

at the end of the day, sometimes we just need to decide if we are going to pay more for things we don't technically need but that do make life easier. 

And I hate that. It's like buying a 911 and 911 GT3. Pay more for less. 

Only a miserable U CPU for that price tag? :dry: Thats pretty pathetic, for this price tag i would expect a QM or a HQ at least...

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Only a miserable U CPU for that price tag? :dry: Thats pretty pathetic, for this price tag i would expect a QM or a HQ at least...

Ever seen an Ultrabook without an ULV CPU? Or a laptop with QM or HQ that has battery life that comes even close to models with ULVs? This is not aimed at performance.