Intel Coffee Lake Review Thread

Mr_Troll
Just now, DocSwag said:

Don't you love it when I provide a legitimate source and then instead of refuting it, you think it's funny?

Fam I delid myself, don't even. Even when you reapply similar w/mk paste, being 5.6-ish, it's still has a shitty heat transfer rate at high voltages and you require heavy cooling.

5.6 w/mk vs. >80 w/mk of solder. Yeah no, it's shit dude.

30 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Why is this boring?

Because it's not the company they show their undivided loyalty to.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Aaaaand Intel has beaten Ryzen. 8600k beats the 1600x and even the 1700 in most cases, so dayum. I only wonder if the Ryzen refresh coming in February with slight clock bumps and maybe slight ipc bumps will be able to level the playing field.

Now I have to really think about my upgrade... Intel is better now no question, but we don't know what the Ryzen refresh is going to do and AM4 will be supported until 2020. Sooooo I'm just gonna wait and see what happens next before I upgrade.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 minute ago, Cookybiscuit said:

This is the shit kicker.

Bad enough are the sky high temps, even worse is the fact that you can't even fucking get one.

The only reason they're doing this is because AMD is selling chips. The chips Intel wants to sell. They're hoping people will now wait for them to become available.

Given the amount of zealots, i'd say Intel's mindshare games are working.

6 minutes ago, Od1sseas said:

On Geekbench Ryzen 3 1200

Single-Core: 3400

Multi-Core: 9300

while i3 8100 scores

Single-Core: 4600

Multi-Core: 13600

The i3 8100 has the same performance as the i5 7400

Overclocking the Ryzen 3 1200 to 3.9 Ghz we getting kinda the same scores as the i3 8100

Intel destroyed AMD

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Really? Use a real benchmark, like Cinebench. Geekbench sucks.

latest?cb=20150216184222

We aren't taking into account value/performance.

Yes Intel has always been able to beat AMD on performance when AMD can make something that performs well.

Reasonably Intel made a response, the performance we're getting to me at least is just something to be expected.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

As for "shitty tim," the TIM Intel uses is actually very high quality stuff. 

Performance-wise, it's nothing special at 8.0 w/m.k. (that's slightly worse than the Arctic MX-4, which is itself fairly lacklustre).

Compared to something like CLU (at about 38w/m.k.) or Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (at about ~73w/m.k.), it falls rather flat (and thermal conductivity of the paste between the die and IHS matters a LOT more in comparison to the paste you might put between the IHS and the HSF) at about 10-20% of liquid metal's (pure indium's w/m.k. is 86, so props to TG for making a commercial product that can provide similar results!) performance.

Intel uses it because of its high durability and reliability (if you don't break the material, of course) over the course of Intel's 3 year warranty, not for its raw thermal conductive performance.

7 minutes ago, Majestic said:

The only reason they're doing this is because AMD is selling chips. The chips Intel wants to sell. They're hoping people will now wait for them to become available.

Given the amount of zealots, i'd say Intel's mindshare games are working.

Not quite.

Ryzen isn't making the large scale sales(pre configured PC's and laptops for vendors like HP,Lenovo,Dell,Asus,Apple,etc.) The sales they are making are limited to budget techies looking to build in the last three months or so.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

He never said that it's better than solder though. He simply said that the TIM is good enough (unless you are using 1.45+V) 

And let's ask @done12many2 and @MageTank. Do you guys think that the paste is the issue or do you think that the adhesive is the issue? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

14 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Linus videos sucks, when I watched it I feared that the i7 8700k could be disappointing somehow as their gaming benchmarks showed the i7 7700k was a tiny bit ahead, then every single other video shows the Coffee Lake easily taking the lead and now I feel much better with my soon to become true upgrade [:

Yeah, I have been wondering how they managed to have virtually the only review where 7700k is ahead in games.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

He never said that it's better than solder though. He simply said that the TIM is good enough (unless you are using 1.45+V) 

And let's ask @done12many2 and @MageTank. Do you guys think that the paste is the issue or do you think that the adhesive is the issue? 

No he said it's high quality, it's not. It's only very durable. But it has a very mediocre heat conduction. 

As an AMD Fanboy, im more willing to attribute intels new processers to AMDs success. Since without it Intel likely would have kept the status quo. 

That being said its good to see the tict for tact. It means both intel and amd with try to out do each other. Just hopefully this time intel doesnt play so dirty that every country starts to sue them again. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

I'm watching the DigitalFoundry video and I'm impressed at how it's neck and neck with the R7 1800X in the Handbrake h.264 encode. Also seems to handle minimum frame times far better than the 7700K.

Also, Richard's hand movements.

Edited by Dan Castellaneta
Whoops, not HEVC; was h.264

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

No he said it's high quality, it's not. It's only very durable. But it has a very mediocre heat conduction. 

It doesn't necessarily have to have high heat conductivity in order to be considered high quality. He is correct from a quality standpoint in that it is good. As has been stated, Intel uses it for a good enough thermal purpose, for the compromise of having a higher level of durability. Solder has its use cases, and if you NEED the upmost in thermal conductivity then there are options out there for you, but it isn't the end all be all.

3 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It doesn't necessarily have to have high heat conductivity in order to be considered high quality. He is correct from a quality standpoint in that it is good. As has been stated, Intel uses it for a good enough thermal purpose, for the compromise of having a higher level of durability. Solder has its use cases, and if you NEED the upmost in thermal conductivity then there are options out there for you, but it isn't the end all be all.

For locked consumer-grade chips, MAYBE. Not for their K SKU's or their HEDT chips. Gamers Nexus has expressed their dismay about it aswell, using the same source.

16 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Man, just let the guy continue on with his pubic service announcement.  It's just easier that way.  :D

37 minutes ago, Majestic said:

And i'm sure that was by complete accident.

Yes because i'm running SFF. And interesting how this used to be the big point people brought up when it was about Intel/Nvidia.

Even if you are running SFF I see no reason why you would buy according to the perf/watt graph. You would check the power that can be provided by your psu (that you can afford) and buy the processor accordingly.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

Meanwhile in Norway:

zNgIxl6.jpg

a49KPuT.png

daily_life_moments_are_hilarious_in_gifs

Seriously, I get there are not a whole lot of chips, and we do see some price gouging, but this is just an outright joke. Yet again Intel acts like they are still a monopoly. No one in their right mind would buy these chips at these prices.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Ezio Auditore said:

Even if you are running SFF I see no reason why you would buy according to the perf/watt graph. You would check the power that can be provided by your psu (that you can afford) and buy the processor accordingly.

Thermals? Delta-T? Had I not delidded my 4670K, it would be running 85-90C. Now it's 65-70C. And lower perf./watt means more heatoutput into the case for the same performance. Hence I'm also using pascal and not polaris. Sure SFF is a niche, but I never generalised. 

And hidden costs like powerusage add up when you're living in western europe at 22-23 eurocent per KHW.

5 minutes ago, Notional said:

Seriously, I get there are not a whole lot of chips, and we do see some price gouging, but this is just an outright joke. Yet again Intel acts like they are still a monopoly. No one in their right mind would buy these chips at these prices.

MSRP is intels price, what stores mark them up to has nothing to do with intel so dont point your fingers at them. The 8700k can be picked up on newegg for $379 which is a good price. 

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Fam I delid myself, don't even. Even when you reapply similar w/mk paste, being 5.6-ish, it's still has a shitty heat transfer rate at high voltages and you require heavy cooling.

You can't just base measurements purely off of thermal conductivity. For example, the difference between liquid metal and normal thermal paste when it comes to thermal paste on the CPU doesn't make much difference at all.

As well, there are legitimate reasons why you can't just use solder on any CPU, such as the solder cracking.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

look at that, 179$ for a 4.0ghz quad-core CPU on intel's latest architecture...for a lower cost gaming system, this is an amazing offering IMHO:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117823&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

...and did i mentionned it's unlocked and can most likely run at 5.0ghz+...and shit all over Ryzen in games :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Thermals? Delta-T? Had I not delidded my 4670K, it would be running 85-90C. Now it's 65-70C. And lower perf./watt means more heatoutput into the case for the same performance. Hence I'm also using pascal and not polaris. Sure SFF is a niche, but I never generalised. 

And hidden costs like powerusage add up when you're living in western europe at 22-23 eurocent per KHW.

A mobile cpu has higher performance/watt than an avg. Desktop cpu but you didn't buy the mobile one, did you?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

35 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Not quite.

Ryzen isn't making the large scale sales(pre configured PC's and laptops for vendors like HP,Lenovo,Dell,Asus,Apple,etc.) The sales they are making are limited to budget techies looking to build in the last three months or so.

Thats mostly due to the lack of an igpu and it being a completely  new architecture for amd. I believe many will start using the apus in their systems once released.

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You can't just base measurements purely off of thermal conductivity. For example, the difference between liquid metal and normal thermal paste when it comes to thermal paste on the CPU doesn't make much difference at all.

As well, there are legitimate reasons why you can't just use solder on any CPU, such as the solder cracking.

What? It's an easy -15/20 degrees when you apply it on the DIE->IHS. If you're talking about between the heatspreader and heatsink, that's because you're using a much larger surface area compared to the DIE->IHS. Ofcourse it's going to be more effective at smaller surface area's.

And if you're talking about applying it to the LID-> Heatsink on a stock chip, the bottleneck is not elleviated, so ofcourse you won't notice a difference. Honestly, I feel like you've watched Linus' video on this and bought into his horseshit. No experience, whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

A mobile cpu has higher performance/watt than an avg. Desktop cpu but you didn't buy the mobile one, did you?

Yeah silly me for not cracking open a laptop, and frankensteining the mobile chip into an ITX case. This makes no sense, sorry.

48 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Gotta include cost of system too

Personally I'll shell out more for the higher IPC and single core speeds for my applications

And that would matter mostly only on AAA games you want to run at 144hz or higher. Slower games or day to day stop you wouldn't be able to pick them apart on a Pepsi challenge.

Again this "better for gaming" is mostly for silly shit like 1080p gaming on a 1080ti just so you can get 180FPS instead of 130 on the most extreme cases.

-------

Current Rig

-------