Intel Coffee Lake Review Thread

Mr_Troll
Just now, MageTank said:

Man, the 8600k makes the 7700k look worthless, lol. 

i know right...it's amazing.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

you really think intel even remotely care to bother about AMD at this point bro?! o.O intel is about 75 times the size of AMD...

Is this a serious post 

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

4.0ghz base, unlocked, overclock to 5.0ghz+ for 179$...GROUND BREAKING

A 7600K for $60 off, stop the presses!

The headline acts were the 8700K and 8600K and they never showed up.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

i know right...it's amazing.

I would certainly recommend it for gamers. Hard to find that kind of performance for that kind of price, while also being able to do a slight bit of content creation. I mean, consumer i7's were good enough for basic content creation, and this thing is beating the 7700k in that role. The 8700k might not look so good compared against the 8600k in titles that don't leverage the additional threads. @Misanthrope may have been right on that part. We will see tomorrow though, when reviewers get those 8600k reviews up. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

A 7600K for $60 off, stop the presses!

The headline acts were the 8700K and 8600K and they never showed up.

they will very soon bro don't worry about it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

they will very soon bro don't worry about it.

They shouldn't have said the product was launching on X date if they weren't going to be available on X date.

Just now, MageTank said:

I would certainly recommend it for gamers. Hard to find that kind of performance for that kind of price, while also being able to do a slight bit of content creation. I mean, consumer i7's were good enough for basic content creation, and this thing is beating the 7700k in that role. The 8700k might not look so good compared against the 8600k in titles that don't leverage the additional threads. @Misanthrope may have been right on that part. We will see tomorrow though, when reviewers get those 8600k reviews up. 

what's funny is watching those reviews where they test gaming the even the i5-8600K compared to the R7-1700X and stuff...it totally reminds me of 5 years ago when i saw the FX-8350 review against the i7-3770K...same deal, 5 years later.

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

They shouldn't have said the product was launching on X date if they weren't going to be available on X date.

at least that leaves you with something to bash on until the CPU is released worldwide, which should take a few days, maybe a week...cause you certainly can't bash on pricing, or performance now...do you.

at least that leaves you with something to bash on until the CPU is released worldwide, which should take a few days, maybe a week...cause you certainly can't bash on pricing, or performance now...do you.

I'm not saying I have a spine or integrity, I still pre-ordered it. I'm still allowed to be pissed off.

fuck sake.jpg

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

what's funny is watching those reviews where they test gaming the even the i5-8600K compared to the R7-1700X and stuff...it totally reminds me of 5 years ago when i saw the FX-8350 review against the i7-3770K...same deal, 5 years later.

How? 

The 3770k came out before the fx series

the 3770k beat the fx in everything

thr i5 beats the r7 by about 10% at stock in gaming

Just now, Spenser1337 said:

How? 

The 3770k came out before the fx series

the 3770k beat the fx in everything

thr i5 beats the r7 by about 10% at stock in gaming

go check your youtube feed for reviews bro, i've been watching about a dozen this morning and it's a hell of a lot more than 10% faster...maybe.,..ok...maybe 10% when gaming at 1440p ultrawide or 4K...if you hold it back with a GPU...yeah...but as far as the CPU goes, intel is head and shoulders above...even considering pricing.

go check your youtube feed for reviews bro, i've been watching about a dozen this morning and it's a hell of a lot more than 10% faster...maybe.,..ok...maybe 10% when gaming at 1440p ultrawide or 4K...if you hold it back with a GPU...yeah...but as far as the CPU goes, intel is head and shoulders above...even considering pricing.

It's 10% at 1080p on a 1080

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

3 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

It's 10% at 1080p on a 1080

What the hell reviews you been smoking bro?

at 4k/1440p the differance between the i5 and 1600x is with a few fps of each other in almost every review out there.

1080p is a different story but 10ish percent would be a good average from what i've seen.

EDIT: All at stock clocks

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

14 minutes ago, Majestic said:

The guy frantically telling me to wait for stock is the one telling me to calm down. Hmm? Intel has always had stock readily available at launch, it's only this time they didn't because Ryzen screwed up their time table. And this paperlaunch is only here to put a stopgap in AMD's sales until they can get their stock available. Which they will do with marketing and having a few major resellers have limited stock at MSRP at launch.

Like...with Vega. I'm not excusing AMD from doing the same either mate. But this is clearly a paperlauch.

I had to wait 2 months after launch to get my 6700K. Even then I had to pay almost $400 to get it due to supply and demand.

This is nothing new...

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

21 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

bro, it's in stock...right now...at MSRP!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117823&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

i don't see why or how intel would be ''panicking over ryzen'' they have those chips that litteraly crush ryzen into the ground...

179$ for unlocked quad-core at 4.0ghz base frequency

259$ for unlocked 6 cores 4.3 ghz frequency

order yours today.

They moved up their launch 3-6 months (actually Intel said H1 2018, so it's up to 9 months). They have almost no stock of anything here in Scandinavia (even though we are some of the richest markets out there. Number one in Apple products for instance). A few might show up this month, most say December. How is that not a panicking paper launch? Especially when you see huge European retailers selling more AMD than Intel chips now. The only thing Intel is crushing today is your wallet and power bill.

12 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Oh so kinda like Vega vs Pascal then?

xD

Exactly. Only difference being HBM is the bottleneck in Vega manufacturing, not AMD themselves.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

I had to wait 2 months after launch to get my 6700K. Even then I had to pay almost $400 to get it due to supply and demand.

This is nothing new...

Yeah... it takes about a month for my local Microcenter to get enough stock in order to provide a discount over other retailers. Right now, they only have 1 of each CFL CPU in stock, and they are charging a premium due to the high demands. I say for most retailers, 1-2 months after launch is your best bet to get the product at a decent price. Especially with these products that offer more cores at similar prices. People are going to eat these up. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, thorhammerz said:

Intel uses it because of its high durability and reliability (if you don't break the material, of course) over the course of Intel's 3 year warranty, not for its raw thermal conductive performance.

This is what I was referring to when I said high quality :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

There’s one on eBay if anyone wants an 8700K.

Spoiler

For $1000

:D 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

20 minutes ago, MageTank said:

The "under the radar" aspect of this launch is that Intel pretty much killed everything on Skylake-X below the 7900X. The 8700k actually has a big workstation market future ahead of itself. Puget Systems is probably furiously testing them, as they'll pretty clearly have a large base interested it in over the next year.

33 minutes ago, MageTank said:

snipperdoodledoo

Thank you. We appreciate you taking your time (and time and time again) explaining this. Maybe making a video or seeing if you can make a thread on the subject, and getting it pinned to the top, wouldn't be a bad idea. You have more patience than most of us.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

The "under the radar" aspect of this launch is that Intel pretty much killed everything on Skylake-X below the 7900X. The 8700k actually has a big workstation market future ahead of itself. Puget Systems is probably furiously testing them, as they'll pretty clearly have a large base interested it in over the next year.

Couldn't agree more. The 8700k is going to be loved by Adobe product users.

So far it is looking like CL stock is far worse than Ryzen at launch, at least in the UK. I've looked at 3 well known e-tailers here as soon as embargo lifted. One had stock of the non-k i5 and i7, and both i3s. I ended up ordering the 8350k from them with the cheapest non-MSI mobo and hope to play with that tomorrow. Another had the 8600k, but wanted 8700k pricing for it. Nope. A 3rd one has 8700k, but they're milking it for all it is worth. You can't buy it normally. They only offered them OC pre-binned to 5 GHz for 7820X-like pricing, and almost as much as 7900X for 5.2. NOPE!

While my 1st choice is 8700k, the 8350k is enough for me to test some things out myself until such time availability improves. I will be looking at IPC (not expecting any change) and OC limits. I never did KL so this will be an interesting power efficiency comparison with Skylake.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

50 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Again this "better for gaming" is mostly for silly shit like 1080p gaming on a 1080ti just so you can get 180FPS instead of 130 on the most extreme cases.

no, it's for ''in the long run'' in 2 or 3 years down the road when the mid-range GPU will be nearly twice as fast as a GTX 1080...some people make purchases for a couple years you know...you want the better/faster product not only for what it can bring right now with current softwares, but also for the ''3 years down the line'' aspect of it.

If you look at it your way, then FX-8350 and i7-3770K were only a slight bit appart in games back in the day, because the best GPU was like a GTX 680 and HD 7970 or some shit like that...but today, if you bought a 3770K you can still max out a GTX 1080ti at 1440p and game at 120FPS+...if you bought a FX -8350 your best bet right now is a GTX 1050 for 1080p and even you'll struggle to get 40FPS in many titles.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Couldn't agree more. The 8700k is going to be loved by Adobe product users.

They clearly have reworked the L1 & L2 cache systems, beyond just "tweaks for improvements", per the AIDA64 testing. (I honestly feel these were probably a chunk of Cannonlake design features we don't get to see.) Which is probably why the 8700k with the high clocks is going to be the screamer at Adobe products. This makes the 8700 (non-k) probably the supreme choice for office Workstations in a lot of fields. 

Not that anyone really cares too much about that on most forums, haha.