Intel Coffee Lake Review Thread

Mr_Troll
8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

MSRP is intels price, what stores mark them up to has nothing to do with intel so dont point your fingers at them. The 8700k can be picked up on newegg for $379 which is a good price. 

Like with the amd and nivdia price gouging situation for gpus. The blame cannot solely be put on retailers. They are only applying the basic laws of supply and demand. If intel hasnt got enough chips for the launch (which is romured to be the case) then it is partly their fault aswell

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

MSRP is intels price, what stores mark them up to has nothing to do with intel so dont point your fingers at them. The 8700k can be picked up on newegg for $379 which is a good price. 

Coffee lake is a paper launch. Only z series mobos are out. Most models won't be out until half a year from now. The number of chips are super limited and thus result in higher prices. Intel are panicking over ryzen with this paper launch.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Utterly boring paperlaunch. 

259$ for a 6 core CPU that can overclock to 5ghz+ ...available right now on newegg...how this can be a ''boring paperlaunch''?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117825&cm_re=8600k-_-19-117-825-_-Product

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, Notional said:

Coffee lake is a paper launch. Only z series mobos are out. Most models won't be out until half a year from now. The number of chips are super limited and thus result in higher prices. Intel are panicking over ryzen with this paper launch.

bro, it's in stock...right now...at MSRP!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117823&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

i don't see why or how intel would be ''panicking over ryzen'' they have those chips that litteraly crush ryzen into the ground...

179$ for unlocked quad-core at 4.0ghz base frequency

259$ for unlocked 6 cores 4.3 ghz frequency

order yours today.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, Majestic said:

Not in Europe it isn't.

it will be tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

He never said that it's better than solder though. He simply said that the TIM is good enough (unless you are using 1.45+V) 

And let's ask @done12many2 and @MageTank. Do you guys think that the paste is the issue or do you think that the adhesive is the issue? 

49 minutes ago, Majestic said:

No he said it's high quality, it's not. It's only very durable. But it has a very mediocre heat conduction. 

I consider durable pastes capable of handling intense thermal cycling on a bare die, where such things are needed the most, to be "high quality". Go throw some of your preferred silicon based paste on a bare die and give it a few cycles. Let me know how well your normal "high quality pastes" perform after pumping out from that kind of load.

I think I am going to have to release a video on this in order to end this complaint once and for all. I still have a jar of Dow Corning on my desk (the same kind used in Haswell and above). I'll delid a few chips, replace them with various thermal compounds (from DC all the way to Kryonaut) and show people the difference in thermals, along with what happens after repeated thermal cycles. While I do prefer liquid metal myself, it's completely understandable why Intel does not use liquid metal on these chips. Gallium can ball up due to vibration. We see this in laptops where users put CLU or Conductonaut on their dies, and they end up shorting their laptops after tiny balls of gallium spills out and bonds to various contacts on the surrounding board. CPU's are just as vulnerable with their surrounding contacts. Even if Intel takes the precaution of using liquid electrical tape or nail polish, you have the issue of liquid metal drying up over time. It's a thing that can happen, and it turns the surface of the die and underside of the IHS into a sand-like texture. This process is expedited by exposure to air (a sealed IHS won't be exposed to air, but it can still happen) so keep that in mind for those of you that intend to use it with poor mounting pressure on laptops with uneven heatsinks.

It's no secret why Intel uses this paste. What I find funny, is how many people that are demanding a better solution, without offering a better solution. Liquid metal is NOT a better solution for Intel. If it interferes with longevity of their chips even by a little, Intel will not take that risk. Solder is a touchy subject, as people state it's hard to do on small dies, yet historically speaking, we had soldered chips with dies much smaller than what we have today. Now, we do have pastes that are high quality and designed to handle intense thermal cycling, such as Kingpin's blue smurf snot (can't think of it's name atm) but it's not cheap by any means. People are already complaining about Intel's price relative to Ryzen, they won't be happy if Intel introduces an even higher premium for paste that will perform 5C better at best, and just as bad if their application method does not improve. 

So unless you people have a better alternative than Dow Corning, that matches it's price and longevity, expect this thermal compound issue to repeat itself with every release. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

bro, it's in stock...right now...at MSRP!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117823&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

i don't see why or how intel would be ''panicking over ryzen'' they have those chips that litteraly crush ryzen into the ground...

both the i5 and the i7 dont ship for 15-20 days...how is that in stock? thats essentially a preorder

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Just now, Majestic said:

https://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/53651/verkrijgbaarheid-intel-coffee-lake-komende-weken-dramatisch

It's Dutch, but basically the retailers are saying it won't be available for weeks, or at best very poorly.

intel has it's own fab, don't worry it'll be readily available for you to purchase very soon.

Ryzen had a great run...3 months it was great...now there's this...it's alright, get over it guys...

Anyways there is still threadripper that will sell a few here and there, those still offer better value than intel.

Anyways we said it, Ryzen is about as fast as intel's previous generation (haswell), and within a year it will be AMD FX all over again...offering more of them slower cores, for a lower price.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

It's no secret why Intel uses this paste. What I find funny, is how many people that are demanding a better solution, without offering a better solution. Liquid metal is NOT a better solution for Intel. If it interferes with longevity of their chips even by a little, Intel will not take that risk. Solder is a touchy subject, as people state it's hard to do on small dies, yet historically speaking, we had soldered chips with dies much smaller than what we have today.

I never said they should use LM. I completely understand it's not viable, but necessary to endusers since soldering yourself is significantly more difficulty, barring impossible. I'm pretty sure Intel could solder their chips if they wanted to.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

intel has it's own fab, don't worry it'll be readily available for you to purchase very soon.

I said retailer, not board partner. The webshops are simply not getting them, they're being delivered in piece-meal.

Just now, Majestic said:

I said retailer, not board partner. The webshops are simply not getting them, they're being delivered in piece-meal.

it launched today...would you calm down...what product have you seen launched and be available worldwide the day the review embargo lifted...it never happened.

10 minutes ago, Notional said:

Oh so kinda like Vega vs Pascal then?

xD

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I consider durable pastes capable of handling intense thermal cycling on a bare die, where such things are needed the most, to be "high quality". Go throw some of your preferred silicon based paste on a bare die and give it a few cycles. Let me know how well your normal "high quality pastes" perform after pumping out from that kind of load.

I think I am going to have to release a video on this in order to end this complaint once and for all. I still have a jar of Dow Corning on my desk (the same kind used in Haswell and above). I'll delid a few chips, replace them with various thermal compounds (from DC all the way to Kryonaut) and show people the difference in thermals, along with what happens after repeated thermal cycles. While I do prefer liquid metal myself, it's completely understandable why Intel does not use liquid metal on these chips. Gallium can ball up due to vibration. We see this in laptops where users put CLU or Conductonaut on their dies, and they end up shorting their laptops after tiny balls of gallium spills out and bonds to various contacts on the surrounding board. CPU's are just as vulnerable with their surrounding contacts. Even if Intel takes the precaution of using liquid electrical tape or nail polish, you have the issue of liquid metal drying up over time. It's a thing that can happen, and it turns the surface of the die and underside of the IHS into a sand-like texture. This process is expedited by exposure to air (a sealed IHS won't be exposed to air, but it can still happen) so keep that in mind for those of you that intend to use it with poor mounting pressure on laptops with uneven heatsinks.

It's no secret why Intel uses this paste. What I find funny, is how many people that are demanding a better solution, without offering a better solution. Liquid metal is NOT a better solution for Intel. If it interferes with longevity of their chips even by a little, Intel will not take that risk. Solder is a touchy subject, as people state it's hard to do on small dies, yet historically speaking, we had soldered chips with dies much smaller than what we have today. Now, we do have pastes that are high quality and designed to handle intense thermal cycling, such as Kingpin's blue smurf snot (can't think of it's name atm) but it's not cheap by any means. People are already complaining about Intel's price relative to Ryzen, they won't be happy if Intel introduces an even higher premium for paste that will perform 5C better at best, and just as bad if their application method does not improve. 

So unless you people have a better alternative than Dow Corning, that matches it's price and longevity, expect this thermal compound issue to repeat itself with every release. 

Good on you buddy as I've already quit trying.  People are going to bitch for the simple sake of doing so.  It's a way of passing time for some folks.  A means of justifying things for others.  Thanks for your continued dedication.  

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

it launched today...would you calm down...what product have you seen launched and be available worldwide the day the review embargo lifted...it never happened.

The guy frantically telling me to wait for stock is the one telling me to calm down. Hmm? Intel has always had stock readily available at launch, it's only this time they didn't because Ryzen screwed up their time table. And this paperlaunch is only here to put a stopgap in AMD's sales until they can get their stock available. Which they will do with marketing and having a few major resellers have limited stock at MSRP at launch.

Like...with Vega. I'm not excusing AMD from doing the same either mate. But this is clearly a paperlauch.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

The guy frantically telling me to wait for stock is the one telling me to calm down. Hmm? Intel has always had stock readily available at launch, it's only this time they didn't because Ryzen screwed up their time table. And this paperlaunch is only here to put a stopgap in AMD's sales until they can get their stock available. Which they will do with marketing and having a few major resellers have limited stock at MSRP at launch.

Like...with Vega. I'm not excusing AMD from doing the same either mate. But this is clearly a paperlauch.

you really think intel even remotely care to bother about AMD at this point bro?! o.O intel is about 75 times the size of AMD...

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

you really think intel even remotely care to bother about AMD at this point bro?! o.O intel is about 75 times the size of AMD...

he said suspiciously sounding like a boy who is a fan....

With shipping times included you're talking 17-23 days at the very earliest you get an i5 or i7

This is a paper launch

This is basically a preorder

get over it.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

Whoa, four cores? Groundbreaking.

4.0ghz base, unlocked, overclock to 5.0ghz+ for 179$...GROUND BREAKING